Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger may play Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I have to say that we should leave Null on the self until he is ready.

I am one of the few that thought Banks was the future of the franchies. I was also one of the ones screaming to replace Sonny (Steve) Bono. All that did was throw Banks in before he was ready, and he learned bad habits that were too hard to overcome. Of course, throwing him in on the 3 yd line, with 3rd and forever, a heavily blitzing 9ers, and an official that thought throwing a screen pass to a covered RB (if you can call Phillips that) was intentional grounding, and it's bound to shake any rookie.

gap
    We have nothing to lose bro. Lets be real, our season is done. Lets see what we have for next year and the future; we already know what Bulger and Boller are capable of.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Personally, I want to see if Boller can play after getting a week of all the reps with the 1s at practice. We all know we haven't won in years so why not? Does Bulger really give the Rams that edge to win? I don't think so. I think he has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after being hit more times than a Las Vegas Blackjack table. It's time to make a move, let Boller play.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

If you thought about it for a moment, you might realize that Bulger is 5 and 30 over the last 2 plus years.
    It must suck to be Bulger. He's been the QB of record in 29 games (4-25) over the last 2 plus years, yet some pin 30 losses on him over that span. Hmm, must suck.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    We have nothing to lose bro. Lets be real, our season is done. Lets see what we have for next year and the future; we already know what Bulger and Boller are capable of.

It's been three games! How can you possibly say our season is done?!?!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    It must suck to be Bulger. He's been the QB of record in 29 games (4-25) over the last 2 plus years, yet some pin 30 losses on him over that span. Hmm, must suck.
    Hmm. Well, personally I'm not surprised.

People here wrote the same things about Warner when he was struggling. Either way, it doesn't make it right. I guess it goes with the territory and speaks to the mentality.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    As a Bulger supporter, even I have to say that he should sit this one out. He needs to let his arm heal for at least another week before he's let loose again. The reason why he gets the job when he's healthy though is simply, he's a better player than Boller is. He's more accurate on a consistent basis, and is less likely to throw a boneheaded interception. At the same time, he is more likely to take a sack due to holding it too long, so there's always the downside as well. Let's see what Boller can do with a week with the ones and then we can pass judgement. Don't forget, Bulger led us on a should have been scoring drive on our first possession last week.
    I have to slightly disagree with this.

IF Boller can start playing lights out, and wins, Bulger sits until Boller starts tanking. Why do I say that. Two words for you. Kurt Warner. That is how Kurt lost his job to Marc, so it should work against Marc just as it worked for him.

IF (that's the reason I capitalized it) Boller starts a winning streak, why mess it up just to put "the starter" back in. IIRC, that is the reason Kurt wasn't allowed to play when his hand healed up.

gap

gap

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    If we are not worried about this year, and want to see what the kid can do, then we need to let him learn first. We don't want to teach him to be a loser before we teach him play with the big boys. Let's not bust his confidence the way Bank's confidence was busted.

gap
    Last edited by gap; -10-02-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo

gap

Good points Josh. Let's just hope that the coaches handle it in such a way that we are all thrilled at Null's first "real" game as a RAMS QB.

gap

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    There really is no proven method for rookie QB's. some Coaches believe that it's best for them to sit a year and learn, while other coaches believe that the best way to learn is to get out there and do it. both ways have worked, but there isn't just one obvious choice that works all the time. the Bengals with Carson Palmer chose to sit him and he did not play at all as a rookie in 2003. while quarterbacks such as Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, and even Matthew Stafford played great as rookies and so far Mark Sanchez and Matthew Stafford are the next in line to prove that Rookie QB's can play at a high level. and I don't like to say that if we start a rookie and he fails it will hurt his confidence, the NFL is a Mind Game and you either are mentaly tough or you aren't. If we started Null, maybe he would play great,or maybe he would fall on his face. we simply won't know until we try him.

Josh
    Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez, and possibly Stafford all have far better supporting casts to work with than Null would have. It is a cliche, but all they have to do is "manage" the game and not screw up too badly or too often. Null has to win the game almost single-handedly with his own lesser Division II caliber talent.

HE WOULD FALTER. Guaranteed.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    man.. that's a pretty big statement. I respect your opinion but I just don't know if I would say it's a guarantee. we will have to wait and see I guess. I already have a Keith Null Jersey so naturaly I am on his bandwagon
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure those 4 young QBs I mentioned would also be struggling if they played for the Rams.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Suggesting I've never criticized Marc Bulger is pretty inaccurate, plain and simple.

If you were in the chatroom for the Washington game, you would have heard me criticize Marc for two poor passes/decisions on the Rams' first drive of the third quarter. On second down, the Redskins dropped a defensive lineman into coverage, and Marc simply didn't see him. He threw to a short route going over the middle of the field, essentially right to the lineman. Thankfully the ball was only batted down. On the following third down, if memory serves me, I believe Bulger overthrew McMichael on the right side of the field. Even if McMichael makes the catch, it's short of a first down. I was critical of Marc on both plays. As you've pointed out though, there hasn't been much else to be critical of regarding those two games, as Bulger has played about as well as he could given the circumstances.

But even if you go back prior to those two games, it isn't hard to find areas where I've criticized Marc. Days before the Rams' first game, I said this of Bulger in a thread you participated in...

Two weeks before that, agreeing with someone else's criticism...

In late August, when responding to a thread asking for opinions on how Bulger would do this season...

"Solid and generally efficient." Wow, I was really laying it on thick there with the praise, huh?

Continuing in the same thread...

Heck, let's go back to the end of last season...

I could go on, but I shouldn't have to. The examples are there for anyone interested in actually looking at them. For those more interested in just making sweeping generalizations of the other side of this debate and looping anyone they can into those generalizations to make them look unreasonable or biased, then there was no point in even listing examples in the first place, as such a person's mind was probably already made up regardless of what the facts were.

Now, hopefully you're done trying to call me out so this thread can get back on topic.
    I appreciate you taking the time to point those out. This is the first time with the exception of one, I recall seeing. They certainly are helpful going forward.

I hope there are no hard feelings on your part because there are certainly none on mine.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yeah it must really suck to be him.

At your record of 4 and 25 over the past 2 plus years, he is averaging 16,250,000 dollars per win. I haven't done the math on anybody else, but I say he's the highest paid QB in football per win.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

At your record of 4 and 25 over the past 2 plus years, he is averaging 16,250,000 dollars per win. I haven't done the math on anybody else, but I say he's the highest paid QB in football per win.
    funny, not sure if the math is correct or not, but funny all the same....I have to give you some love for that fortune. His wallet must be feeling fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Personally, I want to see if Boller can play after getting a week of all the reps with the 1s at practice.
    I agree; I'm intrigued to see what Boller can do with a week of practice with the first team offense. It shouldn't be too hard of a transition for him, since he saw a good bit of time with the first team in the pre-season. Hopefully that time and this week's time in practice will pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I have to slightly disagree with this.

IF Boller can start playing lights out, and wins, Bulger sits until Boller starts tanking. Why do I say that. Two words for you. Kurt Warner. That is how Kurt lost his job to Marc, so it should work against Marc just as it worked for him.

IF (that's the reason I capitalized it) Boller starts a winning streak, why mess it up just to put "the starter" back in. IIRC, that is the reason Kurt wasn't allowed to play when his hand healed up.

gap
    I actually agree with this, which may surprise some. But as you pointed out gap, this could be very similar to what happened in 2002. Warner was not playing well and the Rams couldn't find a way to win. He gets hurt (as does Jamie Martin) and in comes Bulger, who leads this team to six wins with some pretty efficient play.

I don't think Bulger has been playing bad football this year, but if Boller can come in, play good efficient football, and lead this organization to some wins, then it's going to be pretty tough to send him back to the bench. He has a chance to do it this weekend, so I'll be cheering him and the rest of the Rams on!

I appreciate you taking the time to point those out. This is the first time with the exception of one, I recall seeing. They certainly are helpful going forward.

I hope there are no hard feelings on your part because there are certainly none on mine.
    I appreciate that response, and have no hard feelings either!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Now do the same calculation from '02-'06 and see if he wasn't one of the lowest paid QB in football per win. Over the past 2 years, there's 52+ other guys out there who would probably be on the upper end of the top paid per win at the (fill in the blank) position as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast