RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bulger not seeing red over lack of touchdowns

Rams have yet to get in the end zone
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat
    ST. LOUIS - Quarterback Marc Bulger is trying not to get flustered by the St. Louis Rams' inability to score a touchdown.

In 23 possessions -- 11 in the preseason and 12 in their season-opening 18-0 win over the Denver Broncos -- the Rams' first string offense has yet to reach the end zone.

"We're trying not to panic," Bulger said. "We have to be patient, it's a new system. It's going to take some time. Fortunately, our defense stepped it up. I think it will come along eventually, but it's going to be a little bit tougher than we anticipated."

The red zone was the stop zone for the Rams' offense against the Broncos. They were 0-for-5 in five trips inside the Broncos' 20-yard line.

Everything gets magnified down there," Bulger said of the red zone. "It's quicker. With the new system, I think things happen in the red zone quicker and maybe that's why I'm not there yet. We'll get there. Maybe we can score from outside the red zone."

Bulger admitted that he's still trying to get comfortable with new coach Scott Linehan's offense after spending the previous six seasons running former coach Mike Martz's offense.

"It's an ongoing process," Bulger said. "Obviously, we're not there, but with each game and each practice we're getting to know each other more and more. He knows what I like more, and I'm going to learn what he's thinking and what he's going to call more. It's a whole maturation process that we're going to have to go through."

Bulger pointed to the Seattle Seahawks, who had the No. 1 offense in the NFL in 2005, as evidence that it can take time for an offense to click.

The Seahawks also failed to score a touchdown in their 9-6 season-opening win over the Detroit Lions last Sunday.

"If we had the same system (as last year), we might have struggled, just because it is Week 1," Bulger said. "I think you compound the fact that it's a new system, and that's why we're a little bit slow right now. We are doing some good things. We're going to get there."

The Rams have undergone a fundamental shift in offensive philosophy under Linehan.

Martz wanted Bulger to take risks even if it meant that he might throw an interception. Linehan wants Bulger to avoid any interceptions.

Bulger misfired on some passes -- he was 18 of 34 for 217 yards -- against the Broncos, but he didn't throw an interception. It marked only the 11th time in 45 career starts that he didn't throw an interception.

"Marc managed the game beautifully, and that's something the quarterback has to do," Linehan said. "Sometimes they're going to light it up and have those big statistical numbers. I think you saw a guy that knows he will play better the next game, but I feel very good about the fact that we kind of hung in there and didn't do things to lose the game."

Bulger doesn't see the offense going conservative under Linehan.

"I'm used to having 300-yard games," Bulger said. "It'll happen. We've got the most confidence in coach Scott Linehan. He's done it before. He's installing things with a purpose to bring us along. We've all been in the same system for six years. It's different for us. We're doing some things well, but obviously we're struggling a little bit in the red zone, but I think in time we'll get better."

Offensive coordinator Greg Olson said the Rams' offense isn't second-nature to Bulger quite yet.

"He's having to think a little more," Olson said. "It's not reactionary for him. It'll become more reactionary as you get more comfortable. With a quarterback in this system, you have to know where everybody is at, you have to totally and completely understand the protections and hots and where we want to go with the football. He's very good in practice. It still hasn't clicked on game day, but we're still very confident that it will."

Olson said an intentional grounding penalty on a 2nd-and-goal play at the Denver 2 wasn't Bulger's fault.

"He knows there should be a receiver in that area, and what happened was Dane (Looker) got banged around inside," Olson said. "Normally, if he is running full speed, he'll be there, but he got hung up at the line of scrimmage. I don't fault Marc for that. He's trying to be a smart, intelligent football player."

Linehan said he was confident that Bulger would continue to show improvement.

"He's very accountable, and the best (thing) about (Sunday) is how good he felt about winning the game," Linehan said. "It didn't matter to him about stats or anything like that. All that mattered was that we upset a team that nobody gave us a chance to beat."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bulger not seeing red over lack of touchdowns

As a Rams fan all I want are Wins.

As a Fantasy Football team manager with Bulger & Jackson on one of my teams I need TD's.

supachump is offline Registered User

ummm.. didnt the rams have problems in the redzone last year? I dont think this is just a problem of a change in offense.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    ummm.. didnt the rams have problems in the redzone last year? I dont think this is just a problem of a change in offense.
    Yes, but now it's a bigger problem simply because of the fact that we have a new offensive philosophy

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

"He's very accountable, and the best (thing) about (Sunday) is how good he felt about winning the game," Linehan said. "It didn't matter to him about stats or anything like that. All that mattered was that we upset a team that nobody gave us a chance to beat."
    Winning the game is all that matters. If people want to worry about the red zone and scoring TD's, I certainly don't have a problem with that. I'll start worrying when we don't score TD's and lose. Not scoring TD's and winning I'll take all season long.

I still believe Bulger will be back to form against the whiners, unfortunately there will be many that discount anything he does because it was against a weak passing defense.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Last year, the colts went 14-2 but their offense failed to perform until week 4 and we are talking about manning, james, harrison and co.
    Game 1 vs Ravens
    24-7 MNF if anbody recalls, their D had 3 int
    Game 2 vs Jax
    10-3
    Game 3 vs Cle
    13-6

after this game, their O clicked and started to score more TD. In all this 3 games Manning didn't have more than 300 yards, and james had 1 100+yards game. Their D won the games for them. After this . . .14-2. Playoffs is another story that we all choke (sorry, know).
    Our O has everything to be one of th etop 5 offenses, they just need to click, let's hope our D steps up (like they did last game) and hang in until they do click! (hopefully against the f***ers)