throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulger pic

moklerman Guest

Bulger pic

Some have argued that Bulger needs to bulk up a little to be more effective as a qb. Here is a pic from day one of training camp and I'm wondering if he looks bigger, smaller or the same to everyone. I think he's still a little thin but that's better than being a Scott Mitchell, or Ryan Leaf fatty.

Re: Bulger pic

Looks about the same as last season

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If any QB got hit more than Bulger last year and still made the playoffs I'd like to know. The kid has toughness that dosen't really show from his body style.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Agreed, Tex. It'd be nice to see him add some bulk, but if he can remain as tough as he was last season at his current size, I don't see it as a necessity.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Well Tiger Woods had no problem hitting the long ball, I can see why MB receives skeptical comments concerning his abilitiy with the deep throws. His biceps are barely bigger than my wrists. :tongue:

FLO
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

theodus69 Guest

Well let's hope Bulger doesn't get the wraith Warner got. If he gets hit that many times.........Bulger will fold long before that!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

He looks the same to me mok.

I really don't see the reasoning behind adding bulk. A QB needs a certain toughness in the pocket with this offense. Having said that, no QB in the league can withstand a beating or certain types of hits. If they hit you wrong or whatever then you can get injured no matter how much bulk you have.

:ramlogo:

moklerman Guest

I agree that bulk does not equal toughness, but I don't know that toughness was necessarily the reasoning behind adding some mass.

I am worried that Bulger hasn't played a full season completely healthy. It's a very ominous question mark in my mind. He basically made it through a full season last year but was injured in limited duty in 2002. Which will be the real Marc Bulger? I think he has battled injuries in high school and college as well so it seems like a legitimate concern.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

In a sport that relies so heavily on physicality, I like to see proof that players are adding strength and tone to their shape. Suggests to me that they working on part of their craft in their spare time. I don't see that in MB. Maybe he will be football's Mr. Natural. One can hope.

Joe Montana ............................................. the skinniest QB I ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    He basically made it through a full season last year but was injured in limited duty in 2002. Which will be the real Marc Bulger?
    In my opinion, the injury in 2002 was a significant hit that probably would have injured most QBs. The fact that he made it through 16 games last year with only some bruising on his arm despite being one of the most sacked quarterbacks in the game should speak for his durability.

Yodude is offline Registered User

In my opinion, the injury in 2002 was a significant hit that probably would have injured most QBs. The fact that he made it through 16 games last year with only some bruising on his arm despite being one of the most sacked quarterbacks in the game should speak for his durability.
    Perhaps...but you can only take so many seasons as the NFL's most sacked QB before it starts taking its toll.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well mok, what is the reasoning behind adding bulk? I'm not sure I am grasping this. Bones can break and tendons will tear regardless of the mass surrounding them. The injury to Bulger in '02 resulted from a vicious hit that likely would have injured most QBs if not all. He was damn near folded in half on that play. It's all related to the type of hit.

I do feel that Martz' offensive scheme needs to protect whoever is at QB. Perceived durability aside, if the hits and/or sacks keep coming, eventually there will be an injury. Bottom line, the NFL is a tough league for QBs. Defenses are designed with one goal in mind: Get to the QB and punish him.

:ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    Perhaps...but you can only take so many seasons as the NFL's most sacked QB before it starts taking its toll.
    That's exactly why we need to be sure we can adequately protect our QB and not hang him out to dry like Martz did Warner so many times. Bulger bulking up and becoming the David Boston of quarterbacks doesn't sound like that good of an answer. Instead we should make sure he's better at reading defenses and getting the ball out on time, and also increase the pass protection skills of our line, tight end, and backfield.

general counsel Guest

Farve hasnt missed a game since vince lombardi left the packers and he doesnt look that big to me. On the other hand, he is one of the toughest guys ever to play the game.

Bulger will be fine assuming he doesnt get unlucky and take a shot in an awkward body position or other vulnerable body part.

I dont think sacks are really the issue, how often you get hit and how badly is really what counts. The better our running game is, the more pressure off bulger, the better the likelihood of avoiding a bad injury.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast