RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bulgerís silence damages himself and his team

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Marc Bulger is doing himself, and his team, a disservice by refusing to talk with reporters ó and, by extension, the fans ó since being benched by coach Scott Linehan earlier this week. Bulger is a bright, thoughtful guy who could find the right words, however disdainful or diplomatic he might choose to be, to address the situation.

Instead, heís coming across as a combination of petulant, puerile, bitter and self-centered. And thatís not the Marc Bulger weíve come to know, the one who has been consistently classy and unafraid to stand up and face the heat, no matter how difficult the situation.

On Thursday, Steven Jackson piped up on his radio show, calling Bulgerís benching the ďwrong decision,Ēand adding, ďIím not the only one (in the locker room) who feels this way.Ē

If Bulger had spoken up for himself, Jackson might not have been inclined to fan the flames. And now, word is circulating that Bulger no longer wants to play for Linehan, which would be a damning indictment of the head coach.

But, is it true?

We donít know, because Bulger remains silent. And as a result the situation crumbles even further with an unbeaten opponent coming to town. Not the best atmosphere in which to try to crawl out of an 0-3 hole.

<><><>

About 90 minutes after skipping his usual post-practice get-together with reporters Friday, Linehan came down to the media room at Rams Park and took questions. The highlights will be included in our stories on STLtoday.com and in the Post-Dispatch, but here are some excerpts:

*On how he keeps his focus amid the turmoil swirling about the team:

ďThatís my job, No. 1. Itís also the kind of way Iíve always been. Things are never going to be always the way you want them. You have to stay focused, you have to focus on the job at hand. The Buffalo game is all that matters to me. . . . You have to maintain that perspective; otherwise you get caught up in things that are just not productive.Ē

*On how he expects the offense to respond to Trent Green:

ďIím excited to see what itíll be. I donít know until we play the game, but Iím excited to see how we play Sunday.Ē

*On his relationship with Torry Holt:

ďI think itís great. Torryís been working really hard. I think heís done a great job of communicating and leading and doing some of the things that we need at this point. We need our leaders to step up, we need guys that have natural leadership skills at a time like this to really step up and so some things.Ē

All for now . . .

Marc Bulger Fan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Re: Bulgerís silence damages himself and his team

I'm sorry that's bull, I think Bulger's silence speaks volumes. What is he supposed to say?

I've said this before Bulger is a very blunt and straight foward person he doesn't mence words, and you can bet what he has to say is very ugly espeically when it comes to Linehan. The media here in St. Louis is making to big of deal about Bulger not speaking to the media, he's not the first person to stop talking to the media. When Bulger feels the time is right he'll make a statement.

Jim Thomas made the statement tonight that Marc should atleast come out and say he's not happy. HELLO!!! I think not speaking to the media pretty much covers that one.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

On Thursday, Steven Jackson piped up on his radio show, calling Bulgerís benching the ďwrong decision,Ēand adding, ďIím not the only one (in the locker room) who feels this way.Ē

If Bulger had spoken up for himself, Jackson might not have been inclined to fan the flames. And now, word is circulating that Bulger no longer wants to play for Linehan, which would be a damning indictment of the head coach.

But, is it true?

I know it is hard for him to talk to the media but he should take question. But at this point I guss it dont matter, man this is a mess I never thought I would see the rams in this shape. The owner needs to put a end to this mess and fire Linehan.
    :ramlogo:

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

ďIím excited to see what itíll be. I donít know until we play the game, but Iím excited to see how we play Sunday.Ē

Wow. Did he not notice anything in practice or prepare them enough to know that it will be better???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Haha. thats funny. Holt and him have a good relationship? How funny.

I don't think this is a childish act at Bulger at all. Yes! I was criticized for wearing my Bulger jersey today. But I know he's going to come back and do better than before.

As said before, he will come out and say something when the time comes.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan View Post

Wow. Did he not notice anything in practice or prepare them enough to know that it will be better???

Maybe they've practiced well all season and came out on Sundays and stunk to high heavens. Hard to have any read on a team if that's the case.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Marc Bulger is doing himself, and his team, a disservice by refusing to talk with reporters ó and, by extension, the fans ó since being benched by coach Scott Linehan earlier this week. Bulger is a bright, thoughtful guy who could find the right words, however disdainful or diplomatic he might choose to be, to address the situation.

Instead, heís coming across as a combination of petulant, puerile, bitter and self-centered. And thatís not the Marc Bulger weíve come to know, the one who has been consistently classy and unafraid to stand up and face the heat, no matter how difficult the situation.
    I completely disagree.

*On his relationship with Torry Holt:

ďI think itís great. Torryís been working really hard. I think heís done a great job of communicating and leading and doing some of the things that we need at this point. We need our leaders to step up, we need guys that have natural leadership skills at a time like this to really step up and so some things.Ē
    Thats a laugh. We aren't stupid Scott, give us some credit

supachump is offline Registered User

ohh booo hoooo. Marc won't talk to us reporters. whaaahh

Pipe down baby. Let the man have some time away from you bozos.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I think he is doing the right thing by staying quiet,you know the old saying "If you don't have anything good to say about someone then don't say anything" ,it's no secret he doesn't like Linehan and getting into a pissing contest would just bring MORE problems to this team,as everyone has said there is one solution to this,Chip you need to be in St. Louis this weekend and send Linehan and friends packing.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

What an idiot! This is just another example of how this media here in St. Louis blows things out of proportion, but since this is a one newspaper town here I quess they can get away with it. Bulger isn't setting the right atmophere for this team to crawl its way out of an 0-3 hole? Give me a break, I think the FO and the coaching staff has more to do with that than anyone on the team. As far as Jackson faning the flames, I'm all for it. IMO at least he is trying to give the fans the real scoop on what is going on with this team. The dome won't be too friendly for Scott this week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]