r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger Says Arm Is Strong/Other Camp Notes

NOTEBOOK: Bulger says arm is strong
    BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/12/2009

Nearly two weeks into training camp it's not unusual for players to get "camp legs." Or quarterbacks to get "camp arm."

But Rams quarterback Marc Bulger reports no arm fatigue heading into Friday's preseason opener against the New York Jets.

"They've been keeping a 'quote' pitch count for me," Bulger said Tuesday. "I've only been in the 60s or 70s (in throws) for practices, which has been great for me. I've thrown a lot more, I think, in the past."

The Rams have had more two-a-day practices this camp than in the past. So although Bulger is throwing less each practice, the Rams have had more practices. Even so, Bulger says his arm "hasn't gotten sore yet. It feels fresh, so I think they've done a great job with that."

LIFE WITHOUT AVERY

Bulger said the missed practice time with Donnie Avery hurts more than the preseason games the wide receiver will miss with his fractured foot.

"The (missed) reps with him is definitely going to affect us," Bulger said. "It's not a good thing when you have young guys like that in a new offense — and we're trying to get our timing down — and he's going to miss this time."

As for the rest of the wide receiver corps, Bulger said, "There's a lot of competition. Guys are flying around. I think their legs are getting a little bit tired. But Coach has cut back a bit, so we're starting to get those (legs) back. But it's been a grind installing the whole offense."

NO DOUBTING THOMAS

Although progress has been relatively slow, coach Steve Spagnuolo still feels defensive tackle Hollis Thomas can round himself into playing shape in time for the regular-season opener.

"He's coming around," Spagnuolo said. "We need to knock his weight down a little bit. Him and I have talked. He's working hard at it. I do think he is still a little rusty. I know he's not the player that (he was) when we were together back in Philadelphia, but I still think he's a good football player, and I think he'll get there."

STANLEY STEAMER

In terms of catches, wide receiver Derek Stanley may have had his most productive practice of camp Tuesday morning. He's continuing to round into form following knee surgery last winter. But as Spagnuolo sees it, Stanley's progress has as much to do with working on the finer points of the game as anything physical.

"Derek is becoming a detail guy, which we felt he had to do. And I think the details are paying off," Spagnuolo said. "He's catching the ball well; he holds it a lot better now. He's a talent. We've just got to get him out there in games and see what happens."

Spagnuolo said Stanley has improved his route running and ball security. Spagnuolo also has stressed the importance of finishing routes to Stanley. "Finish that thing like you want to score every time they throw it to you," Spagnuolo said. "To his credit, he's responded."

INJURY UPDATE

LB Chris Draft missed Tuesday's morning practice after taking a shot to the throat Monday. But he was back on the field for Tuesday afternoon's practice.

CB Tye Hill couldn't finish the morning practice after experiencing swelling in his right knee — it's the same knee that needed surgery last season.

FB Mike Karney (ankle) continues to increase his workload, getting reps during 11-on-11 "team" drills for the second day in a row.

After missing Sunday and Monday practices with a hamstring injury suffered in the Lindenwood scrimmage, S Craig Dahl returned to practice for limited work Tuesday.

DT Adam Carriker (ankle) missed his third straight day of practice and almost certainly will miss the Jets game.

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams went full pads once again in the morning Tuesday. After skipping live tackling work Monday, Spagnuolo dialed up a live tackling period Tuesday morning. ...Tuesday afternoon's session was special teams only, the second time in three days the Rams went special teams only in the afternoon. ... Keenan Burton has been working as a punt returner this week.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bulger Says Arm Is Strong/Other Camp Notes

"The (missed) reps with him is definitely going to affect us," Bulger said. "It's not a good thing when you have young guys like that in a new offense — and we're trying to get our timing down — and he's going to miss this time."
    This is what concerned me most about Avery's injury. He's going to heal, but he was already on a learning curve as far as route running and the all important aspect of timing, so this further complicates things. Trying to learn a new offense at the same time certainly doesn't help. The sooner he's ready, the better.

eldfan is offline Registered User

"CB Tye Hill couldn't finish the morning practice after experiencing swelling in his right knee — it's the same knee that needed surgery last season."

"Bulger said the missed practice time with Donnie Avery hurts more than the preseason games the wide receiver will miss with his fractured foot.

As for the rest of the wide receiver corps, Bulger said, "There's a lot of competition. Guys are flying around. I think their legs are getting a little bit tired. But Coach has cut back a bit, so we're starting to get those (legs) back. But it's been a grind installing the whole offense."

It don’t look like Hill will work out for us he can not shake the injury bug among other things.

Reading between the lines Bulger don’t sound like he have a lot of confidant in the WRs group.
    :ramlogo:

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The good thing I read out of this is that Marc's arm isn't sore - meaning our offense must not be pass-happy. Fewer passes means fewer turnovers, and fewer turnovers means better chances to slam the ball into the endzone.

Two more days, guys, just two more days...then we can see what we have.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Carriker is still hurt? Jesus....what the hell is wrong with him and Tye Hill?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!