throwback week

Thread: Bulger Speaks

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bulger Speaks

By Howard Balzer
    Wednesday, October 01, 2008

In the Rams' first practice Tuesday with Jim Haslett as head coach, Marc Bulger was back as the team's starting quarterback.

Said Haslett, "Marc is going to be the quarterback and he will be the starting quarterback for the rest of the year unless something happens. I talked to Marc and Trent (Green) about it and it is more of a gut feeling on my part. I talked to most of the offensive coaches and everybody involved and I thought Marc would give us the best opportunity to win games for the next three months.”

Bulger was benched last week by former coach Scott Linehan and replaced by Green, who quarterbacked the team in Sunday's 31-14 loss to the Buffalo Bills. While at times, it appeared there was more energy with Green behind center, the reality is that his passer rating for the game (64.1) is lower than Bulger's for the season (73.2).

Bulger was benched after playing his best football of the season in the second half against Seattle, completing 12 of 18 passes for 145 yards.

Asked if has to mend things with Bulger, Haslett said, “I don’t think there’s any fences to be mended; they need to play better. There’s a reason why you get benched and there’s a reason why you’re out there playing. I think that the players know that they have to be accountable also. Obviously, Scott was held accountable and now I think it’s the players’ turn to step up and be accountable. Marc understands that and he understands that I have full confidence in that he’s going to go out there and do his job and I think he understands what I expect from him.”

Bulger was asked if Haslett told him he would be the starter for the rest of the season, and said, “He made everything pretty clear to me. Coach Linehan told me last week that it wasn’t a permanent thing. I knew at some time I was going to be back, sooner rather than later.”

As for hopes for the rest of the season, Bulger said, “I haven’t thought about the final total. I’m honestly thinking about Washington and how we can get our first win. That will be the most important one. If we can get that, especially against a Washington team that just beat Dallas, they’re the best division in all of sports maybe, if we can somehow go there and get a win, I think that would do wonders for our team.

"I think it’s a possibility. It’s definitely an uphill climb, but we’ll see. An 0-4 team, we can’t sit here and say we’re confident. I think coach Haslett will have us ready to go.”

Bulger took some heat last week for not talking to the media after the benching. Asked about that Tuesday, he said, "I was definitely upset about the decision, but it was the head coach’s decision and I lived with it. I think me speaking on it would not have done anything. I did not want to be a distraction to the team. That is not who I am and coach Linehan knew that I would be ready."

Speaking more to the distraction issue, Bulger said, "I was upset, disappointed, I didn’t think it was the right decision, but that doesn’t matter. It’s the decision the head coach made and I had to live with it. I mean there’s no point in me telling you guys how disappointed I was because we had to get Trent ready. He hadn’t played in a year and had three days to get ready and that would have been unfair to him. Whether it would have distracted him or not, probably not because Trent’s been through it, but I didn’t want that to be the case at all.”

He also denied last week's reports that he had told people he wouldn't play for Linehan again. He said, "The minute I wasn’t sure he knew it or not and the report came out, we talked in his office and he knew I would be ready. First quarter, halftime, third quarter, so I don’t think it was ever an issue. I practiced hard and I took every rep with the practice squad so I don’t think it was ever going to be an issue.”

Now, Bulger returns to an 0-4 team that will be without tight end Randy McMichael, probably for the rest of the season. Haslett is counting on Joe Klopfenstein stepping up.

Said Haslett, “Here’s a kid who started 16 games his rookie year and then he kind of falls off the face of the earth. I told Joe, he needs to get back out there and start playing like the guy we drafted in the second round and be productive and block and run the right routes. I’m expecting Joe to step up to the plate here.”

Bulger said of Klopfenstein, "It’s his time. He’s been playing well. He’s been practicing hard. Right now, Joe doesn’t have a choice; he’s going to be our guy. We can’t scale down our offense and take our tight end out of it. It’s what we worked on all spring and all camp. I think it’s a great opportunity for him.”

Klopfenstein said he is ready for the challenge. He said, “Since my rookie year, they brought in a great tight end in Randy so I was in the shadow a little bit. But I always have been ready, waiting to do whatever they asked me to do.”

SIMPLY NOTING
    *For the first time since the 2005 season, media members were able to watch an entire regular-season practice. Haslett's take on the issue was refreshing.

He said, “It is no big deal to me; it is just a couple guys out there watching practice, so it doesn’t really make a difference. I think the thing about this football team, I want them to feel good about themselves, I want the city to start to feel good about this team and obviously we have to get some wins, and I want the organization to feel good. If we can get some positive press and you guys like it out there then I am all for it.

"We have nothing to hide, we are just going to practice hard. Maybe at least, you could see how we practice and how we prepare and you could pass that on because we are going to work hard and we are going to practice hard and maybe if you see that then you will relay that to the fans, that will help out a little bit.”

*Haslett on his first practice as head coach: “It wasn’t much different. I did get lost a couple of times, started walking into the defense room and turned around. I spent time with the offense a little bit, spent time with them on the field. I forgot the whistle, little things like that. It will come, it’s not a big deal. It is kind of boring to be honest with you. You kind of stand around and you aren’t coaching, coaching. You’re not yelling at anybody.”

*Wide receiver Derek Stanley, currently on the practice squad, took some reps with the first unit in practice Tuesday. Stanley could be a candidate to be added to the active roster in the coming weeks.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger Speaks

In truth its really 0-0 again as far as the NFC-West is Concern. The Cards are only 2 games ahead of the division. The Rams redeem the loss from Seattle with a season split, take 2 games away from the Cards or Frisco, the Rams could afford to loose 1 more in the division.

The rest of the schedual is another thing, but so do the rest. So, the Rams have to win a few games and hope the rest of the Division falls flat.

Of the non-division games, the tipping point could be Washington and Dallas. The Bears are great on Defense but lack on offense

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

You know at this point I almost want a new quarterback, who absolutely in every possible way perfect, just so we can stop hearing the same argument in every thread with the name "bulger" in it.

Heck, I'd probably take a QB that absolutely sucks at everything they do, either way, I figure if their name isn't Bulger there's bound to be fewer arguments (that go in circles).

Allow me to paraphrase the typical argument:

Warner guy: "Bulger is the worst thing since Tony Banks, Martz and the FO were stupid for getting rid of Warner! If we had Warner today, we'd be winning all kinds of games! Bulger's a bum!"

Bulger guy: "Bulger is the best thing since sliced bread and pancakes! Warner was hurt and losing games, Bulger was on fire, we should have let Warner go! Besides he's already gone and no matter what it's the O-Line's fault! Here's a bunch of stats that show Bulger is a good QB!"

Warner guy: "The O-line is meaningless (but Warner was injured and played badly only because of a bad o-line!), it's all Bulger's fault! Stat's mean nothing! You can misconstrue them!"

Bulger guy: "IT was all the O-line then and now! Look at Warner in Arizona with a good O-line!"

Warner guy: "Exactly, if we had Warner now that he's healthy, we'd be winning games!"

I'm not intending to make either side look bad, but this is almost exactly how these debates read for me these days after seeing so many of them. I say they go in circles because no one is ever convinced of anything.

It's like sitting a PC user and a MAC user down at a table and hoping one person convinces the other.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

COACH Haslett providing open practices is a good sign. Its a step in the right direction. Linehan's closed sessions always kept Rams supporters in mystery.
    Bulger Speaks! Action speaks louder than words. With nothing to lose, now is the time to let it all hang out. Lets see the Rams break out of its shell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hopefully everyone can agree the O-Line sucks. In fact, I want to quote a friend on this one:

"Apparently they have an O-line that folds neatly like a cot."

CaliGirlRamsFan Guest

Please hold up your credentials to the screen Dr. Ram.

Warner4prez Guest

I'd just like to say that a corner who's name rhymes with 'pie phil,' replaced who SHOULD have been our pick a couple years back. Hate all you want, but Jay Cutler has the best QB rating outside the pocket in the entire NFL, something that Marc 'on my back' Bulger could only dream of.
    Tell that to a lack luster O-Line or better yet, terrible front office.
    And yes, Warner is still the man.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Hopefully everyone can agree the O-Line sucks. In fact, I want to quote a friend on this one:

"Apparently they have an O-line that folds neatly like a cot."
    All I want to see is some better Qb play without excuses we heard that last season. I don't think you can laid all of this at the OL feet and say Bulger has no culpability in this.
    :ramlogo:

TekeRam is offline Registered User

While I agree that Bulger is responsible as well, it's also very much on the line to get him the time that he needs to pass the ball. They have shown that they can get beaten by just about anyone, and it's time they manned up. They started to in Seattle, and did for the first half last week. Bulger needs to be more decisive, and if he reads the blitz, get it to teh hot read receiver. We'll see how they do out of the bye.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I don't think you can laid all of this at the OL feet and say Bulger has no culpability in this.
    And I don't think anyone is doing that. There's a difference between (1) saying the O-line is the only problem, and (2) saying the O-line is the biggest problem. I would say the latter is the argument that's actually being made.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    I'd just like to say that a corner who's name rhymes with 'pie phil,' replaced who SHOULD have been our pick a couple years back. Hate all you want, but Jay Cutler has the best QB rating outside the pocket in the entire NFL, something that Marc 'on my back' Bulger could only dream of.
    Typical....very typical. All I can do is laugh.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Anyone notice how these rescent comments fit rather neatly into my satire of the Bulger/Warner debate?

Probably because the satire is indeed true.

Why can't we just have a discussion about the offensive line and it's needs, and Bulger and his needs and abilities, without going into talking about Jay Cutler or Kurt Warner.

Facts:
    1. The o-line folds neatly like a cot. It has yet to prove it can block for a full four quarters.

2. Bulger has battered QB syndrome, probably because he's had the living tar sacked and beaten out of him for the last two-three years.

3. Bulger needs to pull himself together.

4. To do this the o-line needs to stop playing the part of a cot.

5. Orlando Pace needs to step up and lead the o-line to victory.

6. We did not draft Jay Cutler, get over it.

7. Warner is not on the team and isn't coming back. His arrival, however magical, would not suddenly catapult the team to victory on his magical fairy dust of awesome. Warner is a great QB, he is not however, the god of all QBs, capable of doing amazingly well behind even the worst offensive line, because he's just that fantastic. You want to know what Warner would be like behind our o-line? Go watch the first half of last week's Cardinals game.

8. Bulger is not "below average" or "only capable of being a backup on any other team." How do we know this? Based on past performance, not over the course or two years or three, but over the course of six. I'd post stats, but it would be a waste of my time, because the next response is "Stats are meaningless, they can be misconstrued."

9. This team needs to focus on the offensive line in the Draft and Free Agency. They do not need to bring a new QB in until there is reason to believe the offensive line can be anything more than offensive.

10. Screaming at the offensive line would not fix Bulger's problems. Screaming at some in fact often motivates them in the opposite direction.

Pull the first initial facts into line, improve the o-line, improve Bulger, give him the plays and the weapons he needs and you're at least looking at interesting, high scoring games.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    He's also going to have a shortened career thanks to some long term health problems.