throwback week

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Bulger Will Stay

What's more, he should stay.

Yes, bulger has been playing poorly for quite some time now. He's definately in a slump. Yet, he is still in there battling. He appears to be doing his best to fight through it all. He has not given up on himself or his mates. This should be evident to every fan that has finally come to terms with bulger and the offensive line being directly accountable for the struggles on offense.

I have read alot of complaints from fans about the OL and the outcries for improvements across the line through the draft and free agency. While the complaints are justified I'm not certain the Rams should put the bulk of their roster upgrades into the OL during the offseason. Certainly the OL should not go unaddressed, I just don't think it is in as dire of need as some other fans seem to think.

Injuries have played a huge factor in the woes of the OL over the course of the last two seasons. When Haslett took over he gave everyone that was listening some insight as to a possible cause for all the injuries. While he did not come right out and say that the players were soft, he strongly indicated that the players were lacking in conditioning. I think many of us have suspected as much and now we have first hand information to support those thoughts. The country club training camps of past head coaches needs to come to an end under the new staff. The new staff needs to address the current OL with some addition through the draft and/or free agency and most of all they need to whip these guys into shape.

The current offense is built as much or more so around Jackson as it Bulger. In order for this offense to be productive they need to be able to establish the run. In order to establish the run the offense needs to be on the field as much as possible, while not trailing by huge chunks on the scoreboard. In order for that to happen the defense needs an extreme makeover. The biggest area of roster upgrades needs to be on the defensive side of the ball - not the OL. The front seven on this current defensive roster is extremely weak. With very little exception it needs a complete overhaul with personnel and/or scheme. This front seven gets very little pressure on opposing QBs and they simply can not stop the run.

I'm not sure how the defensive makeover is going to happen, but I am certain that if it does not happen; bulger, the offense, and the win column will continue at their present levels.

DEFENSE!

DEFENSE!

DEFENSE!

Mooselini Guest

Re: Bulger Will Stay

I have to agree. We are being beat defensively. It's embarassing. Yet another game we've given up 30+.

Sickening.

But we do need to improve the line a little bit. Another thing we need is a FB who can run and pass block.

Next season, when we have McMichael back, you can see Bulger improving a little bit more.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I have to agree. We are being beat defensively. It's embarassing. Yet another game we've given up 30+.

Sickening.
    Our defense didn't give up 30+ Sunday.

2 of the Cardinals touchdowns were scored while our defense was on the sidelines.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I agree, Ferter, that the answer isn't as simple as fixing the Oline alone. Which is why I voted for Dline in that poll a while back about the area of greatest need.

Countering the strengths of our division rivals is best addressed,imo, by rushing the passer better & stopping the short game ( both the run and short passing game).Whenever we have done that, we look like a different team in all areas.To say we stopped The Cards running game is misleading.They dinked and dunked us to death with short passes. A 5-10 yd gain counts the same whether the ball is handed off or passed,right?

When I look at the depth chart diagram of The Rams, I draw an angry line right down the middle of both O and D. Starting with FB,QB, center,DT, MLB,and safety. Pretty much an even split, number-wise, between O and D.

But only FB is a total void on Offense in my mind.The rest are mysteries that may be unravelled by better health, strategy,personnel placement,and experience.

The 4-3 defense, on the other hand, is a total shambles as manned & planned by Haz/Venturi. I'll leave it to smarter football minds than mine to say whether it is easier to fix the 4-3 or whether we need to switch to a 3-4.

The latter seems a better option to my casual fan's eyes,though, considering the skills of current players like Spoon,Atogwe, Long, and others. Isn't it easier and cheaper to add several chunks of bruising beef to this mix than to look for one or two multi-dimensional superstars who can do it all?

The Cards didn't score 30+ on O to beat us only because they didn't have to, not because we could stop them.The INTs and fumbles are just the embarrassing tip of the iceberg. Or, to mix my metaphors, kind of like blaming the bully who pulls down your snappy new jeans in the schoolyard when mom bought you the wrong size and your favorite old belt broke under the strain. .The egg, in this case, definitely came before the turkey.

Wow...3 bad metaphors in one paragraph. My damage here is done.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -12-08-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I always thought Bulger would be here next year, but the question is will he start the whole year?
    I really think that unless Bulger has an amazing last 3 games, the Rams will have to look at drafting a young stud QB to be a potential replacement for him. Maybe not in the 1st round, we gotta fix the O-line first (common Andre Smith!), but perhaps in the 2nd.

blood85 Guest

Our defense and offense are "offensive"!