Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger working out in the Lou, says there is "unbelievable" culture change ...

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    ummmm what are you talking about bro????? When did emmitt say this
    I believe it was during one of his Just for Men commercials. With guest star Jimmy Kennedy.

Ramer Guest

Re: Bulger working out in the Lou, says there is "unbelievable" culture change ...

I like it. I think the team is going to get fired up for this coaching staff.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    I appreciate his commitment...but exactly who is he leading if he's the only one there?
    Leadership, IMO, isn't just about doing things when other people are around you to see.

HornIt Guest

Well this appears to be the obligatory new coach, time for butt kissing piece from Bulger. We saw it with Linehan, then with Haslett and now with Spags. What's the over under on the first eyeroll now?

As some have pointed out, Bulger did and said these same things last year. He also made similar comments in 06 when the new culture was coming in with Linehan.

Last year was the first time he stuck around in the off season and worked out at Rams Park. If he's going to do that again this year, that's a good thing but I'd sure like to see some actual results of his hard work this time because if anything I thought he looked skinnier than ever last season.

For those jazzed about the offense fitting Bulger based on a Pro Bowl, I'll remind you that they don't play defense in Pro Bowls.

I'm with the people who said it's time to put up or shut up.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    Well this appears to be the obligatory new coach, time for butt kissing piece from Bulger. We saw it with Linehan, then with Haslett and now with Spags. What's the over under on the first eyeroll now?

I'm with the people who said it's time to put up or shut up.

Exactly! Talk is cheap. I for one think the Rams aquiring another quality QB, either through the draft or free agency is essential for this team's success.
    The numbers don't lie: BULGER SUX!! Hey Marc, you play in the "Show-Me" State, act like it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Exactly! Talk is cheap. I for one think the Rams aquiring another quality QB, either through the draft or free agency is essential for this team's success.
    The numbers don't lie: BULGER SUX!! Hey Marc, you play in the "Show-Me" State, act like it!
    Well, "Show Me" a solid o-line and some offensive weapons and tools for him to use, and I'll "Show You" a quarterback capable of actually making passes with accuracy and precision.

HornIt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Well, "Show Me" a solid o-line and some offensive weapons and tools for him to use, and I'll "Show You" a quarterback capable of actually making passes with accuracy and precision.
    Yeah, Steven Jackson, Torry Holt, Donnie Avery. Nowhere close to decent tools. And the protection he received for most of last season was solid. Not perfect, but solid.

With the standard you're requiring, you don't need to pay a guy $65 million to be the QB.

Yeah, Steven Jackson, Torry Holt, Donnie Avery. Nowhere close to decent tools. And the protection he received for most of last season was solid. Not perfect, but solid.

With the standard you're requiring, you don't need to pay a guy $65 million to be the QB.
    Steven Jackson was injured for 4-5 games, Torry Holt has been troubled with an injured knee, is old and slower, and can't get enough seperation.
    Donnie Avery is a rookie that ALSO has been hassled by injuries early in the season, and in the games he has showed his timing with Bulger is off, and he has a lot to learn with reads, routes and so forth.

So yes.

Nowhere close to decent tools. And I beg to differ that the blocking he got last season was solid. Yes the line looked solid for a couple drives, but then they revert back to their old form time and time again. We need an -line that comes to play and will PLAY SOLIDLY every single game of every single week.

HornIt Guest

The O-line wasn't perfect. It never will be. I'd suggest turning on the last Super Bowl to see what some QB's can do without very good protection and no running game to speak of.

Bulger, unfortunately, needs much more help.

The O-line wasn't perfect. It never will be. I'd suggest turning on the last Super Bowl to see what some QB's can do without very good protection and no running game to speak of.

Bulger, unfortunately, needs much more help.
    I understand what you're saying, but we're talking about Bulger here. Some people want to compare Bulger and Roethlisberger because both of their o-lines aren't spectacular.

But that is not an even comparison. They are both totally different players with different skill sets and different needs.

Big Ben has great mobility, as we all saw in the Super Bowl, as he magically aluded defenders again and again to make pass plays.

Meanwhile, Bulger is different. I agree that Bulger does not have the mobility of other quarterbacks, thus our greater need of a more solid o-line. But when this guy is comfortable in the pocket, big things happen for our offense. Last year, it was obvious that the trust between Bulger and his o-line was poor because the o-line's play was poor.

Now, I'm not saying I want a perfect o-line that will give Bulger an hour to throw, but I want an o-line that is solid enough to gain the trust of Bulger, and give him a good amount of time to throw. Bulger needs to have time to throw, or else his passes become less efficient or sloppy, as we have seen in the past two seasons.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

A thread about Bulger saying some positive things regarding the direction of the team while putting in extra effort to get back on track and improve from last season turns into a slamfest. Why am I not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    A thread about Bulger saying some positive things regarding the direction of the team while putting in extra effort to get back on track and improve from last season turns into a slamfest. Why am I not surprised.
    Well we might as get it out know! First things first! What is the current status of the Rams quarterback position? That's the $65 million dollar question! We don't need speeches from our QB, We need results!
    Is it a "Slamfest" or is it just keeping it REAL?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

And the protection he received for most of last season was solid. Not perfect, but solid.
    I really hope there never comes a time when our front office looks at a season where the Rams allowed 45 sacks and thinks that kind of protection is solid.

Do people realize that the last time the Rams finished a season allowing fewer than 40 sacks was 1999? We've now had nine straight seasons of allowing 40+ sacks. Now, in 2008, we're to believe that 45 sacks on the year - and a near identical number of attempts-per-sack as 2007's decimated offensive line - is solid? Forgive me if I'm not sold.

The offensive line started out the season as bad as its always been. Through the first eight games, the Rams were on pace to allow 50+ sacks on the year. Yes, they started to improve in the second half of the season, particularly IMO when Leckey was removed from the line-up. But even if you project their sack numbers from the last eight games to a full season, we'd still be allowing 36 sacks, which remains mediocre at best.

This is a unit that needs to be improved, and an improvement on these sack numbers is not a ridiculous standard to set.

Not only does the offensive line need to improve in terms of protection, but in opening up holes for Steven Jackson. In the eleven full games that Jackson played in this year, only five of those games saw Jackson achieve a 4+ yards per carry average. While I think Jackson was a little slow out of the gate, these numbers clearly suggest to me that this is also not a strong run blocking offensive line either.

I won't speak for anybody else, but I was very excited to hear that one of Devaney's offseason goals was to improve this offensive line so we could better protect our quarterback and open up holes for our running back. Now that he's finally in control as the general manager, I'm hoping he can accomplish this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Agreed. Bulger is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't in the eyes of some fans. It's disappointing to see people calling him a kiss ass simply because he speaks positively about the direction of the organization. Would fans prefer he speak negatively? Sometimes you get the feeling he really just can't win.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-08-2009 at 06:54 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Well we might as get it out know! First things first! What is the current status of the Rams quarterback position? That's the $65 million dollar question! We don't need speeches from our QB, We need results!
    Is it a "Slamfest" or is it just keeping it REAL?
    Definitely a slamfest. By the way, great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Bulger is damned , Sometimes............ he really just can't win.
    You can say that again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast