Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country is offline Registered User

The Bulger Worse Case

I am simply posing a question and in no way that I want Bulger to not be a Ram. But say the deal doesn't get done and Bulger plays this year on the last year of his deal and then becomes a FA.

What do you think about this situation,

Trade Marc Bulger to Detroit for 1[08] and LB Teddy Lehman.

Sign QB Daunte Culpepper to back up in 2007 and play in 2008.

With the Lions first round pick 2-5 draft a young QB like Andre Woodson from Kentucky.

Just a thought.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Re: The Bulger Worse Case

I think if Bulger was saying that there's no way he'd be a Ram next year then I'd pull the trigger on a deal like that, but he has said he does want to be a Ram. Even if he didn't, I don't see the Rams trading him, they'd most likely put a franchise tag on him for atleast next year to try to get a deal done.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

helorm341 is right. Worst case the Rams slap the tag on Bulger and pay him $10 + million (whatever the QB tender is) and retain his services. The tag is too costly, so with the combo of Bulger wanting a long term deal, and the Rams realizing that he is truly an elite QB, the deal will get done soon. I am just glad that Little and Pisa already got their extensions, and Bulger will be locked up soon.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I am simply posing a question and in no way that I want Bulger to not be a Ram. But say the deal doesn't get done and Bulger plays this year on the last year of his deal and then becomes a FA.

What do you think about this situation,

Trade Marc Bulger to Detroit for 1[08] and LB Teddy Lehman.

Sign QB Daunte Culpepper to back up in 2007 and play in 2008.

With the Lions first round pick 2-5 draft a young QB like Andre Woodson from Kentucky.

Just a thought.
    Okay, but, #1, just speaking personally, I don't want to sit through the painful development of a young qb when the Rams have an experienced 30 yr old top 6 or 7 qb playing for them already.

So my worst, worst, absolutely THE worst case scenario is---franchise tag.

And I don't think it will come to that.

I know you were being hypothetical, so I ain't saying you think it will come to worst case.

And also speaking personally, I don't think Culpepper is a good enough qb to warrant discussing. Just an honest opinion.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Honestly I don't like the idea. I have no interest in signing Daunte Culpepper or drafting a first round quarterback when we already have one that ranks in the top six. Just get Bulger signed, and if worst case scenario it doesn't happen, tag him and keep working. He wants to be a Ram. The Rams want him to be a Ram. An agreement is likely to come at some point as long as everyone is reasonable.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

If he were to become a free agent, we wouldn't have the rights to trade him..

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yeah, worst case is a franchise tag next year, unless the Lions(and I don't think it'd be anyone but the Lions, maybe the Pack) offering a crazy trade such as a 1-2-2(09) or 1-2-Stanton or something to that effect. The problem is then what do we do until we groom a replacement? We don't have and Culpepper isn't a good enough QB to start except in emergency situations. To do this trade we essentially say to Bruce and Holt, thanks for your service, but you can go suck a melon while we get a new QB who won't do you any good.

Just get him a new deal and everything will be fine.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Alot of teams would jump at Bulger and the Rams know this. The only problem is do they think he has 6 yrs left or maybe 2. the Rams have not always done the logical thing , But as time has went by and I have become a Bulger fan, I think the thing to do would be get his ASS signed and be done with! Oh how close are they to signing Carriker?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Rambos is online now Registered User

As nick said I would Tag him for the next three years as we keep working it much like big O.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    As nick said I would Tag him for the next three years as we keep working it much like big O.

You could tag him for three years, but what purpose would that serve? He likely would become disgruntled, hold out, or demand a trade by that time. The last thing you want is a disgruntled starting QB.

The best thing obviously would be to sign him long term, but if for some reason a deal can't be reached this year, I'd entertain the thought of trading him next year while he has peak value.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -07-21-2007 at 07:51 PM.

z.nrd Guest

I would never trade Bulger.

As someone who followed the Rams from the late 70s, their achilles heal most of that time was weak quarterbacking. Haden and Ferragamo were okay as long as they had one of the best OLs in NFL history combined with one of the best defenses in NFL history. Everett was good while he lasted. Most of that time, however, it's a long litany of mediocrity, if not disaster. Until 99 when they began the Green/Warner/Bulger era. And this era defies the odds for football generally. I sometimes think we have been spoiled by it.

The last thing I want to go through as a fan is to watch the long, painful development of a young qb who may or may not pan out (the vast, vast, vast majority don't).

They could afford to trade Green because they already had Warner, and they could afford to let Kurt walk because they already had Bulger. They're just not in that kind of position now. There's no Trent/Kurt/Marc currently on the roster---Frerotte's okay, and a very solid back up. Ryan? I just don't think he has the native, innate accuracy. I will watch close this pre-season but from what I have seen, he is just not a qb who can play at the Everett/Green/Warner/Bulger level. I am not talking about wins or losses, either; I mean, win or lose, and granting that he was very young when he did play, the guy has a low ceiling in terms of his skills and ability. He has the external measurables, including the arm, but what the other qbs showed us were very refined, very sound, very resourceful, very accurate, and very opportunistic play. Compared to them Ryan is just a guy, one who looks the part but is not flying in the same sky with the others. So to me, there's no one behind Bulger---and if we've seen anything while watching the NFL over the years, it's don't dump a top 5 or 6 qb unless you already have another one ready to step in.

You can get by with average quarterbacking if you have a great running game (check) and a great defense. On the defense---call me when it IS great. As it stands, I will be happy when it finally reaches the level of "better than average." Either way, you don't count on it until you have it.

In terms of the cap, money, that kind of thing. I don't see the virtue of always being far under the cap if you can't field a first-rate team.

I know for certain that I would feel far more hopeless if the Rams were without cap worries but were forced to field a mediocre or struggling qb. I would feel far more hopeful if they had to worry about cap considerations but had a Marc Bulger.

But I don't even think it will come to that. They can afford both Marc and SJ. After that, you have to count on a great personnel department to field a good team around those 2. If they have that, then, they will always be in it. If they don't have that then there's no hope anyway. (I think they DO have that, btw---I think the combo of Linehan, Softli, and McCutcheon is first rate.)

And finally, no smart team dismantles a strength. This team's strength is offense. The defense can catch up. When it does this team will be special. But you don't count on that to the point where you abandon what you already have.

What to do with Marc? Sign him. Regardless. If you can't make a deal, try again, and, make a deal. No matter what. And then keep building a team around him.

Imagine I could go back in time and talk to my 80s self, either before or after Everett. And I said "this 21st century Rams team has an experienced top 6 qb who is 30 and just reaching his peak, but they might trade him away." My quarterbackless 80s self would just laugh if he heard that. It would be like telling a man who has been stranded alone on a desert island for more than a decade that you are dumping your girlfriend because she won't watch your favorite tv show with you. Always count your blessings; for sure, never DIScount them.

That's my 22 cents.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Hoory for the Green/Warner/Bulger era! If that was just one QB playing from 99-now, think about how great of stats he'd have... and who is to say we don't get another successful QB after Bulger, which is hopefully a long time from now.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

If we know we can't resign him; the best option is to trade him.
    With all the talk of him potentially holding out THIS year...then yeah, I would send him away. Then we can make sure actually get something of value rather than him just walking away.

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyHigh1212 View Post
    If we know we can't resign him; the best option is to trade him.
    With all the talk of him potentially holding out THIS year...then yeah, I would send him away. Then we can make sure actually get something of value rather than him just walking away.
    Why can;t they re-sign him? Usually if you can't re-sign a guy it's because he doesn't want to be there. Bulger wants to be a Ram.

So the question then becomes, is the TEAM willing to pay for him? Let's hope so, because the alternatives are not good.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

If you don't offer enough money they won't sign. I agree, the worst case is trade him. Franchise isn't the worst thing that could happen, because that kind of money is probably already being talked about, at least on Bulgers side. I don't think Fitz is bad, he could probably start if he has a little more experience in real games, or we get down 27 points every game....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast