throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bulger's account needs a boost ...

Bulger's bank account needs a boost
    Adam Schein / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 2 hours ago

One of the best quarterbacks in the NFL is without a contract past the 2007 campaign.
    Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Carson Palmer wouldn't enter a season without security for the future.

It shouldn't happen to Marc Bulger.

The Rams' signal caller has been on a remarkable ride since replacing the ultra-popular Kurt Warner.

Bulger has developed into an upper-echelon QB. In three full seasons starting for the Rams, Bulger has put up eye-popping stats, totaling over 3,800 passing yards in 2003, 2004 and 2006. He was en route to doing the same in 2005 before an injury cut his season in half.

It's been amazing to watch Bulger blossom. In 2003, he tossed as many picks as touchdowns. By the following season he cut his interception total by eight. With Scott Linehan taking over for Mike Martz, and Linehan actually believing in running the ball, Bulger finally had balance in the offense. As a result, the Pro Bowler threw for 24 touchdowns against just eight picks.

With a legendary work ethic and a rather large chip on his shoulder after somehow lasting six rounds in the 2000 draft, Bulger has earned his payday.

Poll
    We spent 20 minutes with Bulger on Tuesday and he sounded cautiously optimistic something would get done.

But he wants it done before the season and wants what he deserves.

Bulger told us, "Ideally we want to get it done before training camp. I wanted to ideally get it done in January or February if it was up to me. But Tom Condon is my agent and he handles that. He has been doing it for a long time. He has the best guys in the league. I follow his advice. We have a game plan. We're just being patient because there were things they had to get done before."

Could the team leader hold out of training camp?

"We'll see if that will happen," Bulger said. "I don't think that will happen. But you never know. I don't want to rule anything out. The Rams have been good to me. I've been here my entire career. I hope it will work out."

That really is Bulger's hope. He stressed throughout the interview he wants to stay in St. Louis forever. But, it's noteworthy that he didn't rule out reporting late to camp.

What if a deal doesn't get done?

Could he think about being a free agent?

"Anything is possible but I honestly think we will get something done before the season," Bulger said. "And if we don't, we can talk about the possibility of free agency. But I remain very confident that we can get something done."

If Bulger ever hit the open market, he'd cash in.

Martz, the Ford Family and the Lions would give him a blank check.

If off-the-field issues continue to dog Mike Vick in Atlanta, how good would Bulger look in Bob Petrino's system?

What if Rex Grossman fizzles in Chicago this year?

And don't you think that Bulger would be the perfect Packers quarterback for 2008 and beyond if/when Brett Favre calls it a career?

The Rams have to know what they have in Bulger. They have to know the chemistry he has with Torry Holt, Issac Bruce, Steven Jackson and his offensive line. They have to know that Bulger is the reason they can contend for the playoffs every year despite a suspect defense. They have to know that Bulger is an elite quarterback, not someone who functions well in a system or was lucky to play with great wideouts. While the quarterback might get overlooked on the national scene, Bulger says he knows he is a top five quarterback. And most especially, his teammates know it.

Bulger couldn't stop talking about how good the Rams can be this year. He loves Holt and Bruce, really appreciates what Jackson brings to the team, likes the offensive line chemistry, and is truly excited about adding Randy McMichael, Drew Bennett, Brian Leonard and Dante Hall.

Now imagine how big a step back it would be to have that talent go to waste with Gus Frerotte under center.

It's time to pay Marc Bulger.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Bulger's account needs a boost ...

Bulger told us, "Ideally we want to get it done before training camp. I wanted to ideally get it done in January or February if it was up to me. But Tom Condon is my agent and he handles that.
    That says it all.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    The Rams have to know what they have in Bulger. They have to know the chemistry he has with Torry Holt, Issac Bruce, Steven Jackson and his offensive line. They have to know that Bulger is the reason they can contend for the playoffs every year despite a suspect defense. They have to know that Bulger is an elite quarterback, not someone who functions well in a system or was lucky to play with great wideouts. While the quarterback might get overlooked on the national scene, Bulger says he knows he is a top five quarterback. And most especially, his teammates know it.
    Bulger is without a doubt worth top 5 money. If the Rams are serious about winning, they'll do what's right and get a deal done.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I love Adam Schein. He's great on Sirius NFL Radio every afternoon, and this article is spot on.

Realistically, if Bulger hit the market next year, I think half the teams in the league would have legitimate interest in him. I'm sure a few additional teams outside of that group would as well but may still want to give some of their own young signal callers a chance (Houston, Miami, Cleveland).

If the Rams don't extend Bulger and he hits free agency, then he's gone. The front office would have to be cut off from the realm of reality to not know this, so one way or another, I expect something to get done. Just a matter of time.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I love Adam Schein. He's great on Sirius NFL Radio every afternoon, and this article is spot on.

Realistically, if Bulger hit the market next year, I think half the teams in the league would have legitimate interest in him. I'm sure a few additional teams outside of that group would as well but may still want to give some of their own young signal callers a chance (Houston, Miami, Cleveland).

If the Rams don't extend Bulger and he hits free agency, then he's gone. The front office would have to be cut off from the realm of reality to not know this, so one way or another, I expect something to get done. Just a matter of time.
    I hope you are right Nick. I hope the FO is working on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam Guest

Of course, Gus is just starting to hot the prime of his career....I cannot believe that 6 other NFL teams have let Gus get away. If Bulger had made that tackle instead of hurting his shoulder in that game against Indy in 2005, then we could talk turkey. The guy has got to learn how to tackle, right?

GreatCowGuru Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Of course, Gus is just starting to hot the prime of his career....I cannot believe that 6 other NFL teams have let Gus get away. If Bulger had made that tackle instead of hurting his shoulder in that game against Indy in 2005, then we could talk turkey. The guy has got to learn how to tackle, right?
    Your talk of turkey makes you sound like a chicken, young one. Everyone here surely agrees that Marc deserves a beefy contract, one that adds a meaty sum to his bank account. I know a few years ago, amny did not like Bulger, but now, Rams fans everywhere want him in horns until he is ready to be put out to pasture.

Marc, if you read this, I have a question for you to ask Ziggy: "Where's the beef?"

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCowGuru View Post
    Your talk of turkey makes you sound like a chicken, young one. Everyone here surely agrees that Marc deserves a beefy contract, one that adds a meaty sum to his bank account. I know a few years ago, amny did not like Bulger, but now, Rams fans everywhere want him in horns until he is ready to be put out to pasture.

Marc, if you read this, I have a question for you to ask Ziggy: "Where's the beef?"
    Who's amny???