AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Bulger's Biggest Improvement: Consistency

Last year, some of Marc Bulger's detractors criticized him for being inconsistent from game to game. This year, his performance has been extremely consistent. Here are his game to game QB ratings:

AZ 89.3
    @ATL 102.2
    NO 93.8
    @SF 103.1
    @SEA 76.0
    TB 97.1
    @MIA 80.6
    NE 103.7

Interestingly, the game in which Marc had his worst QB rating - the Seattle game - was arguably his best game of the year as he shook off early interceptions to lead the Rams to a huge comeback win.

I think one of the reasons for the improved consistency is that Bulger is spreading the ball around more. Both Bruce and Holt are in the top 10 in the NFC in receiving yards, and Faulk, McDonald, Curtis and Manumaleuna have all had their moments.

I would like to see Bulger take more of the easy outlet throws when he does not have time to look downfield or the deep patterns are covered. I'd also like to see more screen passes, particularly to Steven Jackson.

But, for those who thought we had seen the best of Marc Bulger before this year... its time to acknowledge that Marc is a developing QB who probably has not yet reached his peak.

general counsel Guest

Re: Bulger's Biggest Improvement: Consistency

What is especially impressive about these numbers is that bulger is putting them up with less pass protection than he had last year. I dont know what the sack numbers indicate, but i think he has been under a lot more consistent pressure this year, especially of course, from the side of grant williams.

I agree that the single biggest improvement is his ability to look at multiple options rather than locking in to holt.

general counsel