RamWraith is offline Registered User

A bunch of Bernie posts

Work done by RubbersSoul

BernieM wrote:
    In today's column I mentioned Warner's legacy -- that he made all of those gloomy football seasons in St. Louis disappear, and replaced them with precious moments and memories.

In the short term, he has another legacy: the Rams' starting QB in the next few years will be held to a preposterous standard. No question, Bulger needs to play better. As I wrote in here from minicamp, his arm on the deep balls remains weak and I get ticked off just watching it.

But overall, Bulger is at about where he should be (and he's pretty good) for a QB still finding his way in this league. But because Warner played at such unbelievable heights from 1999-2001, Bulger will be measured against that. Is that fair? Probably doesn't matter -- it's sports. It's just the way it is. Ironically, even Warner fell short -- way short -- of meeting those standards himself, once the injuries took their toll. Warner wasn't Warner, either....and yet some demand that Bulger be the Warner of 1999, 2000 and 2001. Kind of silly if you ask me. Ain't gonna happen. So Bulger should be judged on his own merits.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

You're right; Martz does "spin" on Warner.

It's been a long time since Martz and Warner had a truly good relationship, so I always discount MM's warm and fuzzy comments about Kurt.

Bottom line is, it all started to fall apart when Kurt's hand became something he couldn't overcome. It started the domino effect. If Warner could still throw it consistently like he once did, and if he could get settled in the pocket again without freaking, none of this would have happened. The Rams and Martz invested a ton of money in Kurt and had no reason to want him to fail. By going this way, they've got millions invested in two QBs, Warner and Bulger, and that hurts their cap.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Bulger is capable of throwing the deep pass. We saw it in 2002. It frustrates me to see him sputter in this area. I think it's in his head. He's thinking too much about technique instead of letting it rip.

In another follow up, as I've said many times, Bulger needs to play better. Cut down on mistakes, most of all.

But only a fool would expect him to play as well as Warner did from 1999-2001.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    It isn't a matter of Kurt's hand being healed.
    It will never be healed, really. Not in the traditional sense.
    That's because the problem -- as I continually write -- is an arthritic-like condition in his right thumb. That never heals. It's just a question of when it flares up, and how it limits him when it does flare up. Some days, his grip is fine. Other days, it isn't.

I dig the Martz bashing on this board. His game management skills are indeed shaky, but now we have people on here acting as if the man knows nothing about offense or quarterbacks. Please. Look up the PPG average since 1999, when Martz arrived to develop this offense. And tell me, please, where Green, Warner and Bulger were in their careers before they hooked up with Martz.

Go ahead and rip the guy for not running a game better, or for his contradictory statements during news conferences, but it's rather silly to dump on him for things that are his strengths. My gosh, memories are so short. That offense 1997 and '98 was really swell.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

The hardcore Warnerites don't want to be freed.

They'd rather wallow in sanctimony, hatred, misery, conspiracy theories, etc.

I wish they could find peace -- that, or direct their passion into more worthwhile charitable endeavors.

Kurt has more money and a better life than probably 99 percent of all Americans. And they act as if he's a political prisoner, or something.

It's sad more than anything else.

But most Warner fans are good and reasonable.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

Card23,

You make such an excellent point about Martz's approach from 1999-2001. No one -- not one soul -- protested at the time that the wide open offense was an irresponsible gamble with Warner's long-term health and viability. It only became fashionable to declare this after the fact. That offense helped make Warner a legendary figure for three years; it also beat him down.

Reminds me of one of my fave Springsteen songs: The Price You Pay.

BTW....I think the wide open offense is coming back.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Reg,

I sincerely hope both QBs thrive.

Warner can be Jim Plunkett.

Bulger can be better than he's already shown. I think this clarity will help him.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    If Martz would have stayed with Warner after the NY Giants disaster -- which was a continuation of the 2002 performance -- he would have lost the team. It would have been insane for Martz to allow his team to get into an 1-5, or 0-5, or 1-4 hole (whatever) for the second year in a row.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    To me, it's one of the most bizarre aspects of this -- why no one will totally come clean on the thumb.

Rams coaches and officials talk about it openly behind the scenes. Other NFL team execs have mentioned it to me, too. I've talked to former QBs who work for the TV networks who have studied Warner and point out how a lot of time he's fiddling with the ball, struggling to get a good grip.

And how many times did we see Kurt yanking, pulling or massaging the thumb? Not just in games, but all of the time in practice.

So I guess...

Martz and the Rams don't want to go off on this in public and make themselves look petty by dismissing him as a has-been. (Which is what they've done with their actions). They'd just rather let Kurt's play serve as the answer. As for Kurt, he's too proud to admit to weakness. He'll always say he's great. He let down his guard last summer, though, acknowledging that the thumb/hand caused him more problems in 2002 then he let on.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    He's being very classy so far....looking forward to a new challenge, new opportunity...stresses the opportunity many times....wants to win...thinks the Giants are close...wants to show that he's still a good quarterback...still believes he's capable....has resisted a couple of chances (via questions) to take shots at the Rams and Martz....looks forward to helping Eli Manning but says he went there to play...won't have any problems co-existing with Eli....taking the high road...will look back fondly on STL experience, but wants to look ahead, to this new opportunity...called NY the best city in the world....wants to play 4-5 more years...doesn't want to keep moving his family around....still in pleasant denial about injuries. "Weren't that bad," he said..."unfortunately I've had three of them to my right hand, but that's it. Broken bones heal. Never really an issue," ...on faith: "I'll always defend my faith. I'll do what I've always done," ... praised Coughlin...says Giants have comparable weapons to the Rams...talking about Giants game last year....six fumbles, concussion, despite all that, completed 63 percent for 360 yards..."I think you could see there that I can still play the game at a high level. Right now my head's not fuzzy, and I'm not dropping the ball," .... "last preseason, I completed 22 of 27, and had an endorsement from my former organization that I never played better," ... then he had the mishap vs. the Giants "and never saw the field again," ... says what he says right now doesn't matter; he needs to do it on the field.

ESPNews pulled away before Warner was finished, so I don't know what was said after that...but it was winding down.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Bruiser, right you are, sir.

And the more he bangs the thumb the more it hurts.

That's what some people (including perhaps the Giants) don't seem to fully recognize. Doctors can look at the thing for 24 hours straight if they want during the offseason when everything is calm but it means nothing -- it's what happens to thumb through the wear and tear and the trauma of playing QB.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    JDub,

I wouldn't have done it that soon because the Rams were doing well and Bulger was playing at a high level.

Certainly Martz had a few clear opportunities to insert Warner later on and would have been justified.

But -- and this is my opinion -- Kurt didn't look good in practice most of the year. He looked much better late in the year. And looked great before the Carolina playoff game.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Warner looked great in camp.
    He threw the ball very well.
    I'll never deviate from that assessment.
    It was 100 percent correct.

However ....

The dude has a bad thumb that flares up on him? As I have said so many times....he looks great, and then he bangs the thumb, and he can't throw worth a damn. It can change day to day, week to week.

As I have also said many times...it's one thing to look great in 7-7 drills on the practice field, wearing shorts. Or even in preseason games, when no one is blitzing and coverages are vanilla. It's another thing altogether to do it with people in your face trying to hurt you. Kurt freaked out in that Giants game, as he did in 2002.

Teammates knew what was going on. Nobody wants to play with a gun-shy QB, and Kurt became that. (I hope he's over that now). I don't blame them at all for wanting to go with Bulger. It was the right call. Took some balls for Martz to do it considering the way he tried for months to pump Warner's confidence back up.

The one thing I don't know, and I will continue to try and find it out...and probably can learn the truth, now that the dust will settle....when Kurt declined to go into the Chicago game....admirable as it was in what he said to Martz -- don't do this to Bulger -- I wonder if it hurt his credibility, for good, with teammates and even Martz. I wonder if the delayed reaction was, "does this guy want to play and compete or not?" Those who have been around pro locker rooms know that this is always a big issue with teammates....they need to know that a leader has the heart to get out there and compete. I am not saying I endorse that view; I just wonder if it was a factor.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Norml...

I updated my post and added some info....sorry I misunderstood at first but I'm reading and typing as fast as I can.

As for the "healed" thing....he is healed in terms of the broken bones. But an arthritic thumb doesn't ever heal. It comes and goes. Also, collectively, these hand injuries have weakened his strength in the hand.

But what do the Giants have to lose? Kurt only needs to take a pounding until Eli is ready. They just don't want to get the kid killed before his career gets a chance to flourish. And if Warner is Jim Plunkett, they've hit the jackpot.

I hope they do. It'll make for a great story. Plus, I want to see K do well. And Giants GM Ernie Accorsi is an old friend of mine so I like the Giants.

Cheers,
    Bernie
    Last edited by RamWraith; -06-04-2004 at 12:49 PM.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: A bunch of Bernie posts

Bulger is capable of throwing the deep pass. We saw it in 2002. It frustrates me to see him sputter in this area. I think it's in his head. He's thinking too much about technique instead of letting it rip.
    Agreed. Throwing the long ball isn't as much about technique as it is instinct.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: A bunch of Bernie posts

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    But overall, Bulger is at about where he should be (and he's pretty good) for a QB still finding his way in this league. But because Warner played at such unbelievable heights from 1999-2001, Bulger will be measured against that. Is that fair? Probably doesn't matter -- it's sports. It's just the way it is. Ironically, even Warner fell short -- way short -- of meeting those standards himself, once the injuries took their toll. Warner wasn't Warner, either....and yet some demand that Bulger be the Warner of 1999, 2000 and 2001. Kind of silly if you ask me. Ain't gonna happen. So Bulger should be judged on his own merits.
    Great point. Bulger definitely has room to improve, but I think some times he's being judged unfairly because of who he's following.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!