Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Burwell: Bradford runs the show at Rams' workout ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Burwell: Bradford runs the show at Rams' workout ..

By Bryan Burwel Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:30 am

ST. CHARLES • A year ago to the day, Sam Bradford was just trying to navigate his way through his first full-squad mini-camp, politely trying to avoid any controversies about things like where he belongs on the depth chart. A year ago, he was an unproven but extremely high-profile rookie with a ton of expectations on his shoulders, just trying to absorb all the information that was being thrown at him from a hundred directions.

But on Monday morning as he calmly moved around the artificial turf at Lindenwood University's Harlen Hunter Stadium, things were significantly different. Now, even in the midst of a lockout, it's indisputable what Bradford's status is with the Rams. He is more than just the starting quarterback. He is a young star in the making, a quarterback who knows exactly what his role is with this franchise. He has grown quickly and confidently into the job, and now is well on his way to the same sort of franchise quarterback/quasi-assistant head coach status that only the elite star QBs like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady hold.

This is his team now more than ever, and it was more plain than ever Monday on that football field at Lindenwood. He does not act like a humble rookie anymore patiently biding his time. He walks around like a man in charge, running things the way a rising superstar is supposed to do.

He knows this offense already. He knows where people belong, where people should be, where the football needs to be. Because the players consider these workouts to be their own minicamp, they asked those of us who came to practice with notepads and cameras to honor the same rules that would be in effect at any normal non-lockout practices, which is to not report or record any specifics on the way they run their offensive schemes.

Or as burly guard Hank Fraley said: "Just say that we are hopelessly unorganized. Tell everyone that we have no clue what we're doing."

Well, sorry, Hank, but that isn't possible with Bradford on duty.

He was in complete charge as the offense took the field and ran through page after page of their new playbook. "I feel pretty good with it," Bradford said after the first of four scheduled workouts this week. "I spent quite a bit of time (studying) since I got (the playbook). Now it's just a matter of getting (repetitions). You can look at something on paper all day and it will make sense, but until you get on the field and actually run through it a couple of times, you don't actually know how it will play out and you don't know what the timing will be. So the more you work on it, the more you get the timing down."

All around the league, players are getting together and team leaders are creating their own player-run workouts. The Rams have been doing it, too. Only this is the first time anyone has seen this many of them together at one time. At least 30 players showed up Monday and more are expected to show up the rest of the week. This is what you want to see from team leaders, and Bradford is clearly one of those guys. Along with cornerback Ron Bartell and linebacker James Laurinaitis, Bradford was responsible for organizing several of these off-season workouts.

"There were a lot of people involved," Bradford said. "It really wasn't hard to get everyone involved, either. I've heard stories of other teams having problems getting guys to come in and set certain dates. But I sent out an e-mail to guys and almost everyone said, 'Yep I'm on board.'"

Whenever the lockout is lifted, it looks like Bradford and his offense will not be lagging too far behind. Even with a new playbook and a new offensive system to learn, Bradford is way ahead of the curve. He smiles when asked if he has relied on other players who have played in Josh McDaniels' system to help him learn the playbook.

"There have been a couple of people I've been leaning on, " he said. "I haven't tried to tackle this by myself."

And who might those people be?

"I'd like to keep that one a little incognito," Bradford grinned.

One thing that hasn't changed from last year is Bradford's ability to tell you exactly what he wants to tell you, but skillfully move away from any details he doesn't want to discuss. So he was a little spare on the details about how much he and his offensive teammates have been getting together since the lockout went into effect.

"We're working," he said. "This isn't our first time getting together."

Hmmm. Really? So when was the last time, Sam?

"We worked out three days in Houston," he said with a sly grin. "But like I said it's not the only time we got together."

So when, where and how many other times did you guys practice?

"Gee, I don't know. Can't remember. Nope. Nope. Nope."

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Re: Burwell: Bradford runs the show at Rams' workout ..

god i have a man crush on sammy..

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

He got 30 players together for a workout during the lockout when no one's getting paid for it? That's actually quite a testament both to Bradford and the team. These guys have to be paying travel expenses out of pocket.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie: This just in.....Sam Bradford learns new offense from Richie Incognito!
    TekeRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

I'll be naming my first child SamBradford. Gender will change nothing.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Great news. This is exactly what I expected to hear about Sam, as he makes his progression from a shy rookie into the leader of the St Louis Rams offense. This bodes well for the future in this unusual year in the NFL. This kid truly loves the game of football, in all aspects and is transitioning like I expected.
    DeSpags have made it a priority that their will be no repeat of incoming players (WR'S), who will struggle to pick up the playbook, especially since this offseason is shortened by the lockout.
    GO RAMS

shower beers is offline Registered User

You fill a locker room with the right type of player, and this is the result. Great news to hear.

macrammer is offline Registered User

This is great to see. This type of cohesiveness should pay big dividends when the season does begin. How do you think spags is holding up since he is such a type A guy through this? must be killing him in one sense that he is not there but also he must be a proud papa too

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    You fill a locker room with the right type of player, and this is the result. Great news to hear.
    x2. If you fill a roster with "ME FIRST" guys, you aren't as likely to get this type of production. It's nice that Sam Bradford is so proactive in his own development and isn't sitting back just cashing paychecks.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    So making a point of going after players with high character is a good thing...hmmmm, who'd of thunk!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Great Article. Future of Rams football is looking great. Sam Bradford really is the man. Quickly rising the ranks of my alltime favorite players, and he really hasn't done anything yet haha. He did have a sensational rookie year though.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

It really is impossible not to love Sam Bradford..serious man-crush..but in all honesty, how can you not get excited about Rams football after reading this.

One other point to take from this is that while a lockout is never a good thing, having Bradford be a player-coach during this offseason will help him learn the offense inside and out. Bradford being able to teach the offense to these new wide receivers coming in will put them on the same page from the start. Hopefully it won't take much tweaking once the season starts for the offense to be going at full speed.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    "There have been a couple of people I've been leaning on, " he said. "I haven't tried to tackle this by myself."

And who might those people be?

Bradford was also quoted as saying "I'd like to keep that one a little Baron"

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

The business being what it is, rookies getting a ton of money before they even step on the field, I've always felt that the position is earned not given. That initial contract for Bradford was startling. But one year later and he is taking on this much, being responsible this way. He has proven to be one of the exceptions, and is worth every penny. This is Samtastic!
    Semper Fi!

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Just read this in a Clements article.

"Meanwhile, Pettis, Kendricks and Salas have had plenty of time to pick Bradford's brain -- they've been staying at his house."

:O That is unheard of correct? So awesome that Bradford and Laurinaitis are showing so much leadership at such an early stage of their careers. Love those two guys!
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast