Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Burwell: Gregg Williams Taking Unfair Hits

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Burwell: Gregg Williams Taking Unfair Hits

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I'd wager there's an Antonio Pierce for every Jason Taylor.
    I'll take that bet.

I did hear an interview Rachel Nichols did with Pierce, and when she asked him about purposely trying to concuss an opponent or causing a cart-off, he answered "that's where it goes too far", so he too believes what Williams was doing crossed the line. He said pretty much the same thing in a subsequent Sports Center discussion.

I have no doubt Williams isn't the only coach to talk about injuring opponents, but again, from every indication I get, it's not the norm.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Wait. Wait a minute...

Today, in American football, i.e., the NFL, it is rather difficult for any player -- especially on defense --to "target" a particular part of an opponent's body, e.g., an ACL during play.

In boxing, yes, more likely (just keep punching and pounding a specific area like the middle section or a badly bleeding cut). Soccer, hmmm, more likely than in the NFL (I remember when teams would go after Pelé and many other key players). The NBA, when employing an absolutely obvious flagrant foul, I'd say more likely than the NFL.

My point ... with all those cameras today pointing from all angles directly to the players tackling and being tackled, each camera showing an almost irrefutable 'replay', wow, I'd find it VERY difficult to think that Gregg Williams would actually expect his defense to seek and destroy certain anatomy of certain opposing players during a game. Encourage the effort by using overly aggressive language, perhaps, but reality?, ... not so much.

True, Dez asks a fair and poignant question. If he were still in N.O., I'd probably be pointing at GW as a leader of dirty players and yelling for some penalty flag coming from the Goodell department.

All this rhetoric, all these recordings and so called evidence against GW, no ... I don't think so. I do see it, however, as the NFL trying to keep up with the Political Correctness image and issues demanded so emphatically by the media in today's world of pro sports, from golf and tennis to football and figure skating -- remember Tonya Harding and her tough 'defense' tactics? Talk about hurting! LOL!

Is Williams innocent? Come on now, give me a break. No, he is not. Did he get carried away with the infamous 'bounty system'? No question about it, he did so royally, painfully; got in over his head big time. Now, justice HAS been served.

--

In essence, GW should have known better, he should have kept in mind "all those cameras, all those recorded conversations and other speach leaks" that so often are great material for comedy, parody, AND serious court allegations. It's like seeing those silly knucleheads on TV, falling for, and taking a bait car in this day and age.

He should have known better.

NJRamsfan1 reminds us that said justice has already been sentenced. Excellent post BTW (#6):

I dare say if we were privvy to the locker room conversations of a lot of defensive coordinators and head coaches in which the fire and brimstone approach were used, we'd think very differently about those individuals- and about the game we know and love. Player after player over the past several weeks have come out and said that while some of what Williams said crossed the line, it is not much different from the words or the message being given in locker rooms throughout the league on any given Sunday. It's time we acknowledge that and stop with the holier-than-thou garbage.

... Williams won't be coaching here. The fallout from this never-ending saga makes him persona non grata around the league. That he hasn't been "officially let go" yet by the Rams means nothing.

Make no mistake: Williams has paid a heavy price for his actions- the indefinite suspension, the loss of livelihood, the public scorn & humiliation and the blow to his reputation which will stay with him forever. I think that's PLENTY of punishment.

The HAL 9000 super computer below meant to say 'Gregg...'

Super computers also make mistakes. LOL.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-09-2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Change photo; Tonyaaaa!
    Fat Pang likes this.

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Make no mistake: Williams has paid a heavy price for his actions- the indefinite suspension, the loss of livelihood, the public scorn & humiliation and the blow to his reputation which will stay with him forever. I think that's PLENTY of punishment.
    I guess I don't get it. Who is demanding more punishment than that?

(edit) Oops, I guess you were referring to fans calling for the Rams to fire him. I don't view that as a punishment for Williams, I view that as the Rams organization protecting itself and moving on.

While it sucks that the Rams got dragged into this mess, I think you are very fortunate for the lid to come off now rather than later. Later, the Rams would have been tainted by the same crap the Saints are going through now. As it is, you are simply a victim of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Today, in American football, i.e., the NFL, it is rather difficult for any player -- especially on defense --to "target" a particular part of an opponent's body, e.g., an ACL during play.
    There are certainly many instances where the defender does not have the luxury of selecting how he will take down an opponent, whether it's due to lack of time, lack of leverage, or lack of reach. The defender can only do what he can do in that small window of opportunity available to him.

But there are many other times when a defender absolutely has the capability of deciding how he will hit/tackle the ball carrier within the normal course of a play. And that includes deciding whether to hit high, low, or middle, going for a form tackle, hit, or strip. So there certainly is the possibility of intentional targeting of body parts by players.

Now your point about players' willingness to target certain body parts in front of cameras is a legitimate point. But I have two counterpoints.

First, two of the targeted body parts mentioned, the head and ankles, had a specific context. Williams told his players to target those parts while in the pile. All kinds of stuff happens in the pile, and there is no doubt in my mind at all that Williams actually meant for his players to really hit heads and twist ankles in the pile.

Second, I don't understand why people point to the gap between specific language regarding injury and the lack of actual injuries as evidence that the injury language is metaphorical or meaningless. It is a crime to do such things as bank robbery, kidnapping, or assassination. It is still a crime to plan those things and pay someone to do them, even if those things are never actually accomplished. There is no "metaphor" defense just because the acts were not successfully completed.
    Last edited by BlueTalon; -04-08-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12