• 4 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Burwell: Jackson puts the onus on Rams rookie WR Quick

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Burwell: Jackson puts the onus on Rams rookie WR Quick

Bryan Burwell
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012

There was Steven Jackson on Tuesday afternoon at Rams Park marveling at how quickly time flies. Wasn't it just yesterday when he was an eager rookie looking to take over the pro football world?

Jackson now is an NFL graybeard who has seen his football life whiz by in the blink of an eye. After nine years in the league far too many of them losing seasons the Rams' Pro Bowl running back has developed an essential gift.

An impatient nature.

Time is running out on his football career, and Jackson wants to win now. He wants to be a part of a worst-to-first turnaround at Rams Park and leave the game with a Super Bowl ring, and he hopes that this offseason his new bosses did some smart shopping to make the Rams an instant winner.

He's in no mood for long-term rebuilding. He's in no mood for slowly breaking in rookies or coddling gifted youngsters such as second-round draft pick Brian Quick. Rather than toss out pleasant compliments to the rookie wide receiver after the first day of minicamp, Jackson issued a rather gruff challenge to his new teammate.

Be ready to make an immediate impact.

"I'm sure (receivers coach Ray) Sherman will get him right," Jackson said. "But over the next six weeks, he's going to have to work real hard to be prepared for a long season, because we're going to lean on him, lean heavily on him. He's a high draft pick and we're going to need someone on the outside to make plays and I'm challenging him right now because we're going to need him to prepare himself over the next six weeks to be a standout on this team."

Some rookies get to ease into their NFL life. Some get the benefit of the doubt that they will be slowly nurtured and allowed to grow into greater responsibility. Quick won't be one of those guys. He was the 33rd player taken in the draft and he's being treated essentially like a first-round pick, full of the same first-round expectations. If the Rams are going to have a more productive offense this season, Quick must be a big-play receiver immediately. He will be expected to dominate down field, be a bold, fearless target over the middle and QB Sam Bradford's most dangerous scoring threat.

That's why Jackson took the strategic opportunity to challenge Quick publicly. This was no thoughtless improvisation. This was a well-thought-out message delivered loudly and clearly by the team captain. He wants Quick to understand that the six-week interval between the end of minicamp and the start of training camp shouldn't be considered a vacation. Use the time to get better, to absorb the playbook inside out.The time for fun and games is over.

"He's a big target, but he has a little ways to go," Jackson said. "What I mean by that is he's coming from Appalachian State. Nothing against it, but it's a (big) difference. It's a difference coming on this field and it's a difference having the mentality of a pro."

When someone with Jackson's stature calls you out like that, it's not intended to be an insult. It's actually a compliment. It was his way of providing a sense of urgency to the kid who certainly looks the part of a stud wideout the minute you lay eyes on him on the football field. Quick looks even bigger than 6 feet 3 when he walks onto the field and plays even bigger, too. He goes up in the air like a basketball small forward and snatches the football out of the air like a power forward and he can glide down the sidelines like a long-striding sprinter.

Like most of the talent evaluators in the Rams' front office, Jackson can see all those wondrous athletic gifts when he sees his new teammate on the practice field. But he also has seen a rookie who had some struggles with the playbook, because he comes from a mid-major college program that ran a spread offense, didn't use a huddle and never had a voluminous NFL playbook.

"They just sent our plays in from the sidelines," Quick said. "I got the signals, I knew what my routes were and I just ran them. But now it's a lot to retain. It's not real hard, but it is a challenge, and I have to step up to the plate like Steven said."

That's exactly what you want to hear from him, too. Quick didn't make excuses. He didn't recoil when he learned that Jackson had issued him such a stern challenge. Instead, he took it all in and responded the right way. He said he's up to the challenge. He said he not only wants to get better, he will get better.

"I'm in my playbook," he said. "Every day I come out here to get better and I want to be that guy who can help the team. If that's what it takes, if (Jackson) wants to challenge me, I'm going to step up to the plate and make plays and do the things I need to do to help the team and be a better player."

The Rams' personnel people are in love with this kid, so much so that they were convinced that he was as good a prospect as the first receiver taken in the draft Justin Blackmon. Right now, at least from a character standpoint, the Rams have to feel a bit more at ease with losing out on Blackmon because of his drinking issues. Quick had no character red flags and he's bigger than Blackmon and just as fast. But it's way too early in the process to start trying to determine just how good Quick is going to be.

But from what we've seen so far in shorts and T-shirts, he certainly looks the part.

Right now, I'm right there with Jackson. I hope the kid understands what's expected of him and is one of those rare godsends like another old smaller-school wideout who had similar athletic gifts and a work ethic that turned him into the greatest pass catcher in NFL history. Jerry Rice became a great receiver not simply because he had more other-worldly talent than other receivers. It also was because he outworked everyone with a rare maniacal passion and became one of Bill Walsh's most scholarly students of the West Coast offense.

Football in St. Louis could be a lot of fun again if Quick is a quick study.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Burwell: Jackson puts the onus on Rams rookie WR Quick

Let this be reinforcement for all those who will undoubtedly say "be patient" (how many times have we heard THIS over the years?) when the Rams periodically struggle. While a learning curve is always a part of the process, production is expected NOW. Winning is expected NOW. We've waited long enough. Jackson doesn't have the luxury of waiting 3-4 years for the Rams to become good and we as fans should not resign ourselves to the Rams having no chance to be good this season.

A new regime is in place who have made their bed with the current crop of draftees. This season, immediate dividends must be shown.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

^Agreed.

Time to go big or go home.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Let this be reinforcement for all those who will undoubtedly say "be patient" (how many times have we heard THIS over the years?) when the Rams periodically struggle. While a learning curve is always a part of the process, production is expected NOW. Winning is expected NOW. We've waited long enough. Jackson doesn't have the luxury of waiting 3-4 years for the Rams to become good and we as fans should not resign ourselves to the Rams having no chance to be good this season.

A new regime is in place who have made their bed with the current crop of draftees. This season, immediate dividends must be shown.
    I like what SJ did here... I also like the fact that he said Quick shouldn't considered this break a vacation. He needs to keep working. SJ said about Quick "But he also has seen a rookie who had some struggles with the playbook". I have yet to hear that he was struggling with the playbook, glad SJ called him out. Not that Quick is the only rookie or player struggling to cram this offense in and learn it in OTA's. But we need him to play like a vet day one, a lot to ask but hey why not. If Quick has the work ethic he can be special.

Les Snead said there was one underlying theme: We're not one player away.

There was no way of knowing if it would take 10 new players, or 20, or 30 to get the franchise out of its massive rut. But it was going to take more than one.

"The goal was, 'Let's get multiple (draft) picks so we can get multiple players to go with our free-agent crop," Snead said. "And I think we accomplished that."

I want to win like yesterday like all Ram fans. It's clear to me that this regime by trading back in the draft and prior to the draft too acquire more draft picks, indicates they didn't think the team could win with what they had on the roster. They turned over 50% of the roster or close to it. The old regime cut half the drafted players unwilling to develop players in favor of free agents trying to win now.

This season, immediate dividends must be shown... what are your exceptions going in? 4-12, 8-8 or 12-4? What do you think is immediate dividends?

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Well, I for one agree with everything said here, particularly NJRAMSfan1. Quick, like any other 1st/high second round draft pick, will struggle a bit but is nontheless expected to produce NOW and help the team in their goal to win NOW. Not later, not years from now, not next year, NOW. Its no disrespectful, rude demand to win now, but at the same time, its the basic fundamental understanding that teams draft players, particularly the high picks, to come in and produce from day

As far as expectations are concerned with regard to immediate dividends, I'll put things in perspective. We are expecting Quick to have close to 1000 yards receiving, with between 6-12 TD's if not at least 700-800 yards with 5 TD's
    Heck, even if he gets 600 with about 5 or 6 TD's thats pretty decent. But the point I am trying to make is he is expected to produce right away because he was drafted so high and we are a team in dire need of playmaking ability at the WR position.

Now, does this translate to a better team record. By all accounts, there is no reason why it shouldn't. I really would not like to put a definitive prediction/expectation as far as record is concerned, but, I am expecting us to win at LEAST 8-9 games this season.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quick is a raw rookie.

With that said, I expect him to ATLEAST be a legitimate redzone threat in his rookie campaign.

He should be with his size and great athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I like what SJ did here... I also like the fact that he said Quick shouldn't considered this break a vacation. He needs to keep working. SJ said about Quick "But he also has seen a rookie who had some struggles with the playbook". I have yet to hear that he was struggling with the playbook, glad SJ called him out. Not that Quick is the only rookie or player struggling to cram this offense in and learn it in OTA's. But we need him to play like a vet day one, a lot to ask but hey why not. If Quick has the work ethic he can be special.

I want to win like yesterday like all Ram fans. It's clear to me that this regime by trading back in the draft and prior to the draft too acquire more draft picks, indicates they didn't think the team could win with what they had on the roster. They turned over 50% of the roster or close to it. The old regime cut half the drafted players unwilling to develop players in favor of free agents trying to win now.

This season, immediate dividends must be shown... what are your exceptions going in? 4-12, 8-8 or 12-4? What do you think is immediate dividends?
    I think the average fan is tired of words like "development" and "potential". And when neither happens, we clean house and the whole vicious cycle begins anew. Enough.

I think hovering around the .500 mark and being competitive in most games is a realistic goal. I truly believe that. Weekly improvement is expected, as is tangible productivity from our top few draft picks to justify their selection. I think we are doing ourselves a disservice in thinking this season can't be better than 4-12. Certainly anything well over .500 would be wonderful but probably not likely.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very inspiring. I have expectations like many of us here who are tired of the losing culture that has taken hold. I'm glad what Jackson did because he's a leader on this team and his call to Quick is really a call to all the rookies regardless of position that this team needs to start winning quickly.

Go Rams!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I think hovering around the .500 mark and being competitive in most games is a realistic goal. I truly believe that. Weekly improvement is expected, as is tangible productivity from our top few draft picks to justify their selection. I think we are doing ourselves a disservice in thinking this season can't be better than 4-12. Certainly anything well over .500 would be wonderful but probably not likely.
    I don't care what anyone says. If we go 4-12, I will be freakin' pi$$ed.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I think there are going to be a lot of pissed people this season.

What I expect is that the defense will improve even more. But the offensive line still scares me, and I don't know how much they can get out of their rookies. No doubt they will improve upon that pathetic performance last season, but that's not saying much ... there's nowhere to go but up.

I expect a sub .500 season this year, but I really don't expect anything less that 4 wins. 6 and 10 would not be a bad season in my opinion, as I expect this team to gradually improve. They have a good core of younger players and it's going to be fun to watch.

I can't wait for the season to begin.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think the average fan is tired of words like "development" and "potential". And when neither happens, we clean house and the whole vicious cycle begins anew. Enough.

I agree we are getting tried of losing but to your point about "development" and "potential" and then the lack of results. It really is about the vicious cycle we are in. We went from a HC in Dick V and his experienced coaching staff. To a HC with NO head coaching experience in Martz. Martz had all the developed talent that was created bu DV. Martz did a good job with what he had but he did a poor job to develop and maintain talent on both sides of the ball. Following Martz was two more regimes with no head coaching and weak staffs.

If we are going to turn this around we have to develop players we all know that as well as we all know it has not been happening. We went from one of the older teams to the youngest in one year with Fisher and his staff. They know they can coach, teach and develop players.You cant' stay at one team for 16 years if you can't build and maintain a certain level of talent.

I agree with your expectations we need to win more the 4 games this year. We need to see these draft picks making plays. I think we will see better coaching on game days, better half time adjustments and a team that is prepared to play every week.

We added a lot of young talent at several positions, no one knows how good this team will be until we see them play a few weeks. They could be the surprise team this year.
    live4ramin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree we are getting tried of losing but to your point about "development" and "potential" and then the lack of results. It really is about the vicious cycle we are in. We went from a HC in Dick V and his experienced coaching staff. To a HC with NO head coaching experience in Martz. Martz had all the developed talent that was created bu DV. Martz did a good job with what he had but he did a poor job to develop and maintain talent on both sides of the ball. Following Martz was two more regimes with no head coaching and weak staffs.

If we are going to turn this around we have to develop players we all know that as well as we all know it has not been happening. We went from one of the older teams to the youngest in one year with Fisher and his staff. They know they can coach, teach and develop players.You cant' stay at one team for 16 years if you can't build and maintain a certain level of talent.

I agree with your expectations we need to win more the 4 games this year. We need to see these draft picks making plays. I think we will see better coaching on game days, better half time adjustments and a team that is prepared to play every week.

We added a lot of young talent at several positions, no one knows how good this team will be until we see them play a few weeks. They could be the surprise team this year.
    You make good points, Rambos. Despite roster turnover, regime turnover, etc, my expectations are high nonetheless, which I feel is fair given Jeff Fisher's pedigree as a head coach and some decent core players with whom to work. This is NOT a 3-4 win team in my opinion. I simply don't believe that. Development is certainly important, and only a fool would argue otherwise. But that should in no way inhibit our ability to be competitive in most games this season- Tampa, Arizona, Miami, Seattle to name just a few.

I will say one thing: I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what we have this season.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I hate to say it, but I don't expect a ton out of Quick this season. There are only 6 or 7 rookie WRs that have hit 1000 yards in the last 25 years. I think he can contribute right away, but I doubt he will be a mega stud this year. It usually takes 2-3 years to get up to NFL speeds for a receiver

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Will Fisher let Shottenheimer have a few big plays each game just to keep everyone interested and charged up? If Shotty gets his shots early and this offense gets some early season momentum (score more points) this team could discover itself and have some fun. If the RAMS can manage to win four or five games they can just as easily win nine or ten.
    Prepare to be amazed.