throwback week

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Burwell: Rams Fans Finally Can Appreciate Steven Jackson

Rams fans finally can appreciate Steven Jackson

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/04/2009

On Tuesday afternoon as he went rummaging through the bottom of his locker room stall to find his shoes and socks, Steven Jackson really didn't look any different from how the big Pro Bowl running back has for most of his six years as a Ram: same long, flowing dreadlocks, same toothy smile, same oversized middle linebacker's body that has been tenderizing defenses on a weekly basis since he became this team's go-to offensive weapon.

But there was something different.

At long last, Steven Jackson seems to be accepted.

"I think (the public) has had a chance to get to know me and I have had a chance to get to know them," Jackson said. "Some of the things I may say now might not take them aback as much as it would have in the past. I'm growing up too."

The folks who used to hate him, who used to think he was either too flamboyant or too brash or too outspoken but mostly just too ... too ... something finally are on his side.

The silly "trade him" talks have diminished to a whisper. They no longer want to measure him against Marshall Faulk. They don't want to pick him apart for not running hard enough (he always ran hard), or for holding out (he was justified), or for complaining about the bad music in the Dome (he was right) or the lukewarm support of the fans (right again). They have put all that aside.

And all it took was a monster game against the Detroit Lions to finally close the deal and open their hesistant eyes and hearts.

In one of the worst and most difficult years in Rams history in a game that was considered to be potentially one of the most embarrassing to the franchise Jackson was an intimidating, dominating force of nature in that 17-10 victory that ended a 17-game losing streak. It was his most impressive performance as a Ram, and not just because of the numbers 149 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries. It was the style and substance of what Jackson did that seems to have finally connected him to a public that has been reluctant to embrace him for any number of reasons.

Jackson didn't talk his way into their hearts and minds.

He ran his way in there.

What made him so stunning on Sunday?

For all those Jackson haters who kept saying he wasn't a tough inside runner, how's this for destroying that silly notion? After a lengthy film review of Sunday's game, it was determined that Jackson gained a staggering 125 yards after contact (the first hit by a defender). That means that Jackson averaged 5.6 yards rushing against the Lions after the first Detroit defender made contact with him.

He kept slamming into people, pushing them back, stiff-arming them or just flat out running right over, around or through them.

That's what is making this Jackson's most outstanding and compelling season. He is making it impossible for anyone to criticize him now, because if you can't see what sort of tough-guy runner he is now, well, you're either blind or a fool. Unofficially, he leads the NFL in yards after contact with 509 of his 784 rushing yards coming after that first hit from defenders. That means that every time he touches the ball, 3.08 yards of tough yardage will come after he collides with a defender, which clearly dispells the nonsense that he tiptoes through the hole.

"And the funny thing is, all game long (the Lions) were still talking junk to him, too," said center Jason Brown. "But it was like they were talking smack to overcompensate because they'd watched that film all week and saw how Steven's willing to give it to whoever is willing to come his way. They keep talking smack even though they just got trucked, even though they just got run over."

And the more trash they talked, the angrier and more determined Jackson became. He kept getting stronger and stronger. In the first quarter, he gained only 7 yards after contact. In the second quarter, it was 29 yards, then 31 yards in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, Jackson stomped through the Lions for 59 yards after contact.

And then Brown laughed out loud.

"Steven is like that character in Scarface," Brown said. "'Say goodbye to the Bad Guy. You need people like me so you have someone to talk about.' He has to be the bad guy, but we love that he's on our side. But to them, he puts fear in people's hearts because they watch film of him all week long and they think, 'Ohh my gawd.'"

As he stood in front of his locker stall surrounded by reporters, the "new" Steven Jackson said that the playing field is the only place you will find him talking these days. No more commentary about the stadium atmosphere. No more bold predictions about individual goals. No more critiques of home-field attendance. "I'm just going to continue to let my pads do the talking," he said. "And at this point, if you don't like me, it's only because you just don't like me."

And those numbers are clearly dwindling.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Re: Burwell: Rams Fans Finally Can Appreciate Steven Jackson

amazing article.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

great game jackson, in the game on sunday it was so cool to see jackson out run defenders or carry them on his runs, what a speical athlete that is only getting better as our team does. imagine how well he does with a good passing attack or a more solid o line

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/04/2009
    You're only about 4 years late to the party, you tool.

P.S. 29 days since your libelous comments and still no apology.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I've never had a problem with Jackson, so I don't know what Burwell is talking about. Coincidentally, neither does he most of the time.