Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Burwell talks about Faulk and retirement

By Brian Burwell / PD

Coach Mike Martz says Faulk's sore knees need some rest. I asked Faulk how much rest he thinks he'll take. 'That depends on what you want to do,' he said, speaking generally, as if he were talking about someone else. 'If this is your last season, then what you do is rush back, deal with the pain and whatever happens happens and you retire at the end of the season. But if you've decided that you want to play at least one more year, and you're comfortable and accept a specific limited role, than you play it smart. You take your time, get healthy and come back when it's feeling right.'

Faulk sounded like a man who was more interested in returning for one more scaled-back run next season. He also sounded quite comfortable with this changing of the guard.

As we talked, Faulk was nearly trampled as the media moved in to circle and interview quarterback Chris Chandler. Faulk slipped on his black leather jacket, pulled his wool knit cap down snuggly over his head, flipped a backpack over his shoulder and nimbly tried to get out of the way.

As he attempted to make a quick getaway, a few more reporters converged on him.

'Can we ask you a few questions, Marshall?' someone asked.

'Awww, nah,' he whispered, feigning modesty. 'Why do you want to talk to me?'

Faulk is not quite ready to say goodbye to his athletic life just yet. But he is perceptive enough to know that this wasn't his moment. This was not his time. Faulk could see that big fellow over there on the other side of the room with the flowing dreadlocks and youthful legs was finishing up his postgame radio interview. Faulk knew Jackson was about to march back to his locker stall.

Faulk knows a thing or two about the paradox of the past and the future never occupying the same space. So the living legend nearing the end of his 11-year Hall of Fame run slipped quietly out the back locker-room door. A few moments later, the future - young Mr. Jackson - slipped seamlessly into his space.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Burwell talks about Faulk and retirement

Very interesting. What's going to make this "controversy" much different than what happened with Warner and Bulger is that both Faulk and Jackson can get touches in a single game. Heck, they can be on the field at the same time. Whereas with the quarterbacks you had to make a decision on one guy or the other, the running backs can be interchanged as needed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Faulk sounded like a man who was more interested in returning for one more scaled-back run next season. He also sounded quite comfortable with this changing of the guard
    Hopefully, this realization will manifest itself as a mutually agreed-upon re-worked contract.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

It's hard to get a read here. If Marshall is really ready to accept a limited role, I'm all for it, but it sounds like he's not exactly thrilled by the situation. At this point, there is no way of really knowing what's going on or what he is actually thinking. Marshall Faulk is one of the most intelligent players in NFL history and he alone knows what he can or can't do. My hope is that everyone involved is on the same page and this situation plays out in a positive way.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Hopefully, this realization will manifest itself as a mutually agreed-upon re-worked contract.
    I couldn't possibly agree more. Well said.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Faulk is a smart guy, a true student of the game in all it's aspects. I hope the FO can see the potential of keeping Faulk around and running both Faulk and Jackson. It could make the running game very hard to defend against IF the Rams continue to use the running game.

It is hard to watch as a legend of a player has to deal with the decline that comes from years of physical wear and tear on a body. I am certain, Faulk will remain a class act and hopefully the FO can return the favor.

I can still remember being awed by Faulk's talent when he was with the Colts. He was amazing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

general counsel Guest

HUbison is 100% correct, as usual. Bottom line, faulk in a limited role is perfect IF the money is mutually acceptable, which means about a $5 million pay cut (he is due about $8 million next year i believe). If someone has accurate faullk salary numbers for next year, please post it. my info on this is a bit dated and i am doing it from memory.

general counsel

I don't know how his bonus applies, but this is what NFLPA.org shows for his salary...

2002 650000.00
    2003 655000.00
    2004 4000000.00
    2005 5750000.00
    2006 5750000.00
    2007 6000000.00
    2008 7500000.00

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

I'm not trying to be real negative here,but this was not a good rush Defense we played here fellow Ram fans! Lets see how SJ does against a good D.
    I cant believe that most of you guys are wanting to start SJ over MF!
    Give Marshall a line that will block and there is know way in he** that SJ is a better back PERIOD! Ok, Marshall may have lost a step but,there's no way and i do mean no way that SJ could no the game any better than Marshall, i'm quite sure there may not be any back in the NFL that is as smart of a player as our #28!
    Marshall still has plenty of football left in the tank! We just need to learn how to open up some holes for our boys! SJ had holes that Tony Saragusa could have run through!
    I cant believe that everyones so quick to blame MF on our running game! Anyone that knows football at all should easily see that our problem on running the ball is our Headcoaches play calling (passing is his forte') along with the line play. Adam T has not played well nor Orlando ,heck the run offense sux. I always see at least one of D-lineman penetrating our line of scrimmage!
    For those of you that Tivo the games (record them) go back and watch the game films! Maybe Martz passes so much that our line has forgotten how to run block? Most people forget that Marshall helped carry this team on his back at times to get several key wins! How do you get rid of a player that is probably more knowledgable about the game that most headcoaches!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll take MF on my team any time!!!! Steven J is our future but, our future is not now! I'd bet that there are about 29 teams at least that would snatch up Marshall in a second!
    I never see quit in # 28 do you? Nough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marshall if you read these posts i for 1, is still a Marshall Faulk fan so don't give in to this crap! Show threm who still wears the cape!
    Other defenses are keying on him so much this year its not even funny! I'd bet most DC's in the league prepare for us as follows, shut down Marshall and you'll shut down the RAMS! (ok maybe i'm exagerating a little but,im close)

Besides Marshall!, most of these guys that want the Rams to make a change have never even put on a football uniform!
    Line play is the most crucial of all in football! NO potection no run no qb to take you to the promise land! Ask MB and KW and any qb that gets sacked as much as our qb's have in the last 3 or 4 years!
    Any one that disagree with this please feel free to name a qb that has been able to last the season and go and win a superbowl!
    For the D-line no pressure, no help from the lb's or the DB's they are the heart and sole of a team! If you dont have line play you will never win it all! and that means on both sides of the ball!
    Last edited by talkstoangels61; -12-07-2004 at 12:31 AM. Reason: messed up

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    How do you get rid of a player that is probably more knowledgable about the game that most headcoaches!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take MF on my team any time!!!! Steven J is our future but, our future is not now! I'd bet that there are about 29 teams at least that would snatch up Marshall in a second!
    Who in this thread said we should get rid of Faulk? I must have missed that post.

Not in this post Nic, Your missing the point! Go reread all the post about either MF or SJ and you'll see that alot of you are wanting MF to step aside and letSJ take the reigns!..............oh by the way nic, are you ever wrong?
    It seems to me that just about every thing posted on this board,That you do not agree with ! You always have a rebuttal. Basically it seems to me that if you dont agree with it that it must be wrong!
    We have our opinions as fans as you do,but not many of us tend to take it to extreme as some people do! I guess what i'm trying to say is lighten up on some of your replies. We are all Ram fans here! and some of us on here have been through the pain of the 80's and 90's so when it comes time to vent our frustrations here, we dont like to have someone always to have something to say something about our thoughts is all! ( We are just venting most of the time)
    I try to get my opinion out there and that is all! You dont see me trying to belittle everyone elses opinions! I'm glad that you are on here with us and truley glad that you are a Diehard Ram fan so i hope you dont take this as an insult,because its not what i've intended!............just try to realize that there are fans that are not going to agree with you or i is all!.........

RamTime Guest

Though I love Jackson he has one whole hell of a lot of playing to do before he can even think about filling Marshall Faulks shoes. So Marshall I think I speak for most when I say. Thank you Marshall for being a winner in every sense of the word. From your class on and off the field to your uncanny ability to take over games when it really counts. You and Kurt together were apart of the greatest offense this league has ever seen and you will always be remembered with the highest regard and in the same class of person as Warner. If you play on then I am 100% behind you. If you retire then I am 100% behind you. If you stayed on as a coach for the Rams spreading your knowledge of the game then I'll marry you. Well maybe not marry you but I sure would appreciate it. They talk about rice being the greatest player ever however you sir put your head in the grinder more times in one season then Rice did in his career so the way I see it is, you sir yes you Mr Faulk are not only the greatest back all around player the rams have ever seen but you are the greatest all around player this game has ever seen. Thank you for serving us rams fans.

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    oh by the way nic, are you ever wrong? It seems to me that just about every thing posted on this board,That you do not agree with ! You always have a rebuttal. Basically it seems to me that if you dont agree with it that it must be wrong!
    I'm wrong a lot of the time, and I agree with a lot of things posted. Just earlier in this thread, I agreed with something HUbison said. If you think I disagree with just about everything posted on the board, I would suggest reading more of my posts. To address this though, it sounded like you were suggesting the people who have replied to this thread have said we should cut Faulk, which I don't think has been the case. If you were referring to posters in general over multiple threads, then obviously you're correct.

You continue to take my responses to you as my belitting you and your opinion. That's not the case at all. If I see something I want to respond to, good or bad, I'll respond to it with my opinion. There's no hostility intended, although I will admit it is frustrating to see you continue to imply that those of us who never actually played organized football somehow aren't as knowledgable as those posters who have, then tell me how I'm the one who thinks he's never wrong.

Regardless, I'm confused as to what you want me to do. It seems as if you want me just to not respond to you at all, since every response I make is either belitting you or being too extreme of a poster, in your opinion. All I can say is that the point of a message board is to take part in discussions, and that's what I do. If you'd rather I not respond to your posts, I can certainly do that. Just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by RamTime
    Though I love Jackson he has one whole hell of a lot of playing to do before he can even think about filling Marshall Faulks shoes. So Marshall I think I speak for most when I say. Thank you Marshall for being a winner in every sense of the word. From your class on and off the field to your uncanny ability to take over games when it really counts. You and Kurt together were apart of the greatest offense this league has ever seen and you will always be remembered with the highest regard and in the same class of person as Warner. If you play on then I am 100% behind you. If you retire then I am 100% behind you. If you stayed on as a coach for the Rams spreading your knowledge of the game then I'll marry you. Well maybe not marry you but I sure would appreciate it. They talk about rice being the greatest player ever however you sir put your head in the grinder more times in one season then Rice did in his career so the way I see it is, you sir yes you Mr Faulk are not only the greatest back all around player the rams have ever seen but you are the greatest all around player this game has ever seen. Thank you for serving us rams fans.
    Great post, RT. Very well said.

Nic, i dont think that you are belittleing me in no way! I'm just an onlooker that read all post and replies. And maybe i could be reading you wrong when reading your rebuttals but, it just is my opinion that sometimes you have to get in the last word is all! Thats it,no harm no foul! and as far as you thinkjing that i'm saying that i'm right about things just because i've played the game alot in my life time isn't correct!
    All that i'm trying to say is you have to have played the game to truly understand it from a player's point of veiw. I've played the game both as a mlb,ss,qb,fb,and rb so i've had the pleasure of not having holes to run through and by getting the **** knocked out of you from being hit blindside! Let me tell you that it is no fun!...lol......Also have been on the Defensive side of the ball where we blitzed and returned the favor! Let me tell you that when we werent able to put heat on the opposing qb they usually lit us up!
    We as a team took 2nd in our highschool state playoff's and many of us went on to play college ball! It helps me understand the game IMPO a little more than say someone who has never straapped on the pads and put on a helmet! It's no disrespect at all to any of you that hasnt. Its just that i feel that i might have an edge on the game since playing it for sometime!
    Oh Might i add we went in a little over confident in that state game and we lost! 14-6 IMPO we should have won it! Sure wished i could do it all over again!.............and i might add re: above,i'm not saying that im a know it all and by no means do i know everything about the game,i donnot....lol.....i just think that i have somewhat of a different opinion on how our HC and team is playing as a whole..............And by all means keep giving your opinion it helps me add too my posts.........lol..........take care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast