r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Burwell: Vincent Jackson Could Be Big Deal For Rams

Burwell: Vincent Jackson could be big deal for Rams

By Bryan Burwell
    Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm not really sure what it would cost to work out a trade for Vincent Jackson, but if I were the Rams, I'd sure find a way to do it.

A few weeks ago when it looked like the soonest the disgruntled San Diego Chargers wide receiver could be available was Week 7 due to a looming NFL suspension, making a deal for a star pass catcher in his prime still felt like risky business. Not anymore. Two things have suddenly changed everything about this once shaky process and created an atmosphere where the Rams should have gone from casual window shoppers to aggressive shopaholics.

First and foremost - as if we needed to be reminded of this - the Rams still have a screaming, blaring, obvious need at wide receiver that has only gotten more screaming, blaring and obvious after one game of the regular season. Even though they have a star running back, a decent enough offensive line (albeit with some aggression issues) and a young, expensive franchise quarterback who everyone in football believes has the gift to lead the Rams to a championship future, this team must find a way to upgrade the most noticeable deficiency on this offense.

What the Rams don't have - and haven't had for the past two years - is a deep corps of wide receivers who can make a difference immediately. Even with the acquisition of Mark Clayton last week (a darned smart move by general manager Billy Devaney that cost him next to nothing), the receiving corps is still paper thin. At his best, Clayton is a fine No. 2 receiver, and Danny Amendola is a reliable No. 3, and the rest of the collection of young guys have not shown any signs that they can be a No. 1 deep threat that scares opposing defenses into double coverage on the outside.

In last week's loss to Arizona, the Cardinals played the entire game jamming eight men in the box to shut down Steven Jackson's running lanes, and blitzing Sam Bradford with impunity because they knew they could stay in single coverage on the outside all day long. And guess what? That's exactly what they'll see this week too in Oakland, and every other week for the rest of the season as long as they trot out this current group of wideouts every Sunday.

And if the Rams do that, Bradford and Jackson won't survive the season.

So it's time to get a little bolder.

The Rams need someone on this team who is a legitimate No.1 receiver. Vincent Jackson is that sort of wide receiver, and adding him to the mix would immediately turn the Rams into a decidedly better football team.

So why go for him now?

It's simple. Because of a ruling on Thursday between the NFL and the NFL Players Association that essentially reduced the suspension of Jackson to only four games if he is traded, the Rams could conceivably have a Pro Bowl-caliber wide receiver in uniform as soon as Game 5 in Detroit if they can strike a deal with the Chargers before a 4 p.m. Wednesday deadline.

A few weeks ago when the Chargers gave Jackson and his agent permission to see if they could strike a deal with another team, reportedly they found an unnamed team willing to sign Jackson to a one-year deal. Team sources at Rams Park say they were not the unnamed team, but the only teams who have been reportedly interested in retaining his services so far have been the Rams and Minnesota Vikings. But once those contract negotiations were completed, Chargers GM A.J. Smith essentially killed the deal when he reportedly asked for unknown but excessive compensation.

But now that Jackson could be available for as many as 12 games instead of 10, that increases Jackson's value. That means he could be available for the most difficult stretch of the season for the Rams. The schedule-makers did the Rams a favor early in the season, giving them four of the first six games at home, and the only road games against Oakland and Detroit. But after that fifth game, things get a bit more difficult with games against San Diego, Carolina, Atlanta, New Orleans and Denver plus two games each against San Francisco and Seattle.

The Rams have already shown after one game that the same problem that plagued them last year still is a problem this season. Defenses have no fear whatsoever of their wide receivers. Adding Jackson alongside Clayton would change that. According to ESPN.com researchers, since the start of the 2009 season, no player in the NFL with 50 receptions or more was more efficient at producing first-down yardage than Jackson at 85.3 percent. No one else even topped 80 percent.

So now that we know that Bradford looks like a young quarterback who isn't in over his head, why not roll the dice and get him more immediate help?

In case Devaney didn't notice last week's interview with new owner Stan Kroenke in Sunday's Post-Dispatch, he doesn't sound like an overly patient man. What he does sound like is a results-oriented owner who wants to see improvement and is willing to pay for those upgrades.

The Rams as currently constructed are not ideally suited for any sort of dramatic improvement in the won-loss column, unless you consider edging up from 1-15 to 4-12 as major. But we live in an NFL world where worst-to-first turnarounds are not uncommon. I suspect Kroenke knows this, and so do the anxious fans in this city who are tired of a losing football team.

Adding a talent like Jackson could surely be a step in that direction.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Re: Burwell: Vincent Jackson Could Be Big Deal For Rams

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Burwell: Vincent Jackson could be big deal for Rams

By Bryan Burwell
    Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm not really sure what it would cost to work out a trade for Vincent Jackson, but if I were the Rams, I'd sure find a way to do it.

A few weeks ago when it looked like the soonest the disgruntled San Diego Chargers wide receiver could be available was Week 7 due to a looming NFL suspension, making a deal for a star pass catcher in his prime still felt like risky business. Not anymore. Two things have suddenly changed everything about this once shaky process and created an atmosphere where the Rams should have gone from casual window shoppers to aggressive shopaholics.

First and foremost - as if we needed to be reminded of this - the Rams still have a screaming, blaring, obvious need at wide receiver that has only gotten more screaming, blaring and obvious after one game of the regular season. Even though they have a star running back, a decent enough offensive line (albeit with some aggression issues) and a young, expensive franchise quarterback who everyone in football believes has the gift to lead the Rams to a championship future, this team must find a way to upgrade the most noticeable deficiency on this offense.

What the Rams don't have - and haven't had for the past two years - is a deep corps of wide receivers who can make a difference immediately. Even with the acquisition of Mark Clayton last week (a darned smart move by general manager Billy Devaney that cost him next to nothing), the receiving corps is still paper thin. At his best, Clayton is a fine No. 2 receiver, and Danny Amendola is a reliable No. 3, and the rest of the collection of young guys have not shown any signs that they can be a No. 1 deep threat that scares opposing defenses into double coverage on the outside.

In last week's loss to Arizona, the Cardinals played the entire game jamming eight men in the box to shut down Steven Jackson's running lanes, and blitzing Sam Bradford with impunity because they knew they could stay in single coverage on the outside all day long. And guess what? That's exactly what they'll see this week too in Oakland, and every other week for the rest of the season as long as they trot out this current group of wideouts every Sunday.

And if the Rams do that, Bradford and Jackson won't survive the season.

So it's time to get a little bolder.

The Rams need someone on this team who is a legitimate No.1 receiver. Vincent Jackson is that sort of wide receiver, and adding him to the mix would immediately turn the Rams into a decidedly better football team.

So why go for him now?

It's simple. Because of a ruling on Thursday between the NFL and the NFL Players Association that essentially reduced the suspension of Jackson to only four games if he is traded, the Rams could conceivably have a Pro Bowl-caliber wide receiver in uniform as soon as Game 5 in Detroit if they can strike a deal with the Chargers before a 4 p.m. Wednesday deadline.

A few weeks ago when the Chargers gave Jackson and his agent permission to see if they could strike a deal with another team, reportedly they found an unnamed team willing to sign Jackson to a one-year deal. Team sources at Rams Park say they were not the unnamed team, but the only teams who have been reportedly interested in retaining his services so far have been the Rams and Minnesota Vikings. But once those contract negotiations were completed, Chargers GM A.J. Smith essentially killed the deal when he reportedly asked for unknown but excessive compensation.

But now that Jackson could be available for as many as 12 games instead of 10, that increases Jackson's value. That means he could be available for the most difficult stretch of the season for the Rams. The schedule-makers did the Rams a favor early in the season, giving them four of the first six games at home, and the only road games against Oakland and Detroit. But after that fifth game, things get a bit more difficult with games against San Diego, Carolina, Atlanta, New Orleans and Denver plus two games each against San Francisco and Seattle.

The Rams have already shown after one game that the same problem that plagued them last year still is a problem this season. Defenses have no fear whatsoever of their wide receivers. Adding Jackson alongside Clayton would change that. According to ESPN.com researchers, since the start of the 2009 season, no player in the NFL with 50 receptions or more was more efficient at producing first-down yardage than Jackson at 85.3 percent. No one else even topped 80 percent.

So now that we know that Bradford looks like a young quarterback who isn't in over his head, why not roll the dice and get him more immediate help?

In case Devaney didn't notice last week's interview with new owner Stan Kroenke in Sunday's Post-Dispatch, he doesn't sound like an overly patient man. What he does sound like is a results-oriented owner who wants to see improvement and is willing to pay for those upgrades.

The Rams as currently constructed are not ideally suited for any sort of dramatic improvement in the won-loss column, unless you consider edging up from 1-15 to 4-12 as major. But we live in an NFL world where worst-to-first turnarounds are not uncommon. I suspect Kroenke knows this, and so do the anxious fans in this city who are tired of a losing football team.

Adding a talent like Jackson could surely be a step in that direction.
    I would like Vincent if we can lock him up for 3-4 years and at a decent price. It would totally help Bradford develop. Having Clayton and vincent at each side and star RB and Amendola in the middle. I really like it !!

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I might be 'misremembering' but I think I heard Jackson wants about $9M a year and San Diego would probably get a 2nd round draft picks if Jackson were signed by the deadline?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    I might be 'misremembering' but I think I heard Jackson wants about $9M a year and San Diego would probably get a 2nd round draft picks if Jackson were signed by the deadline?
    And I personally would be totally fine with that.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

I would totally be fine with that as well. As much as I like the smart moves that BD makes, I really think it is time that he goes out on the line and adds someone like Vincent Jackson, who is a risk/reward type of guy. If he does reward, it could help our team for years to come.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Me too. I'm sick of all this 'Strategic drafting' etc.... Just roll the dice and take your chance. Not everything is as crystal clear in life as we would want it.

After all, my eyes somewhat rolled when we took on Marshall Faulk in 1998/99............then look what happened!

C'mon BD and SK... Roll them dice! What do we have to lose??! Another season?

Well some of us don't have that much time.........(No offence)

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!