general counsel Guest

Business call today with a nebraska fan..

I had an interesting chat today with a guy who happens to be a nebraska football nut. Of course, he was happy to talk about our new stud, Mr. Incognito.

He assures me that Incognito is more talented than Dave Rimington, one of the all time great nebraska lineman (he of fumblerooskie fame i believe). I pointed out that rimington wasnt necessarily a great pro (he wasnt thrilled with that comment), but he says Incognito is more suited to the pro game as he is a more developed pass blocker, not just a road grading run blocker as is typical for the nebraska O linemen.

While he admits that no one knows whether Incognito will get his temper under control, his perspective was that Incognito NEVER would have been kicked off the team under the prior regime and in fact would not have been kicked off the team at "any other major college program" based on the fighting incidents. New coach trying to clean up the program. Interesting perspective. He thinks that the only thing that can stop Incognito at the pro level is an injury, although he heard that the injury is not that severe despite the surgery, which is consistent with what we have all read.

Claims the guy is such an animal that many of his own teamates were afraid of him. A true brute on the field.

Just one fan's perspective but interesting to pass along

ramming speed to all

general counsel

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Re: Business call today with a nebraska fan..

I'm thinking that this may have been our best pick.

general counsel Guest

Time will tell for sure, but like any other swing for the fences, you either hit a home run or whiff. I think on a risk/reward basis the pick is excellent and I will stick with that view even if he turns out to be a bust. Its not very often that you have a chance at first round talent with the #81 pick, especially when drugs are not involved. By the way, having read a few articles on the kid, i also loved the saints pick of mcpherson for all the same reasons.

This is also why the smoker pick was a good one a year ago, albeit with the complication of the substance abuse.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

NFLTopGun is offline Registered User

Hmm interesting... I have faith in him... I think he'll mature and will end up as our starting center or guard by mid season... He's strong and smart enough to play on pro level, so we may have one of the best oline in the league by midseason and will be ready for the playoffs... Bulger should get 4,500 and 30 TDs this season and Jackson will go over 1,200...
    :clanram: DIE HARD RAMS' FAN!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

That analysis was dead on, GC. He was a much more complete lineman than the rest of the hogs on that Husker line. The guy was a natural center and started at tackle because of his dominance.

I also watched Incognito from the time that he was a freshman on the squad; he always caught my eye in games because if a fight ever broke out on the field, #51 was always in the middle of it. He's gone through anger management classes and now calls his anger "passion," and getting booted from Oregon really woke him up. I guarantee that, barring injury, he will be starting by the end of the year. I also guarantee you will see him involved in at least three fights throughout the season, if not by the end of training camp.

And I'm dead serious about buying his jersey once he gets a number. I'm sure I won't be the first.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Great post GC I agree I think we can only win with this pick if he blows out then he will be like lots of other 3 round picks but if he makes it he will be a major contributor because of his talent and I'm willing to bet hes learnt his lesson and anger will become passion we don't want our OL to pussyfoot around

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

If this kid carries his passion for the game into this season, and focuses his energy on the field, he is going to be another weapon for the Rams. We look to have one of the most dangerous teams this coming year.
    I hate to disagree with you, NFLTopGun. I don't see Bulger going 4500 yards with 30 TD's or Jackson going 1200 yards. I see Bulger topping 5,000 with 40 TD's, and Jackson may go as far as 1500 yards. (I watched the Alex Barron video....plus the Atogwe video. With the way Atogwe creates turnovers, we should have the ball a lot more often....)

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

GC: Great intel...

It's great to get an inside opinion from a source that should have little bias.

ARF

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NFLTopGun
    Hmm interesting... I have faith in him... I think he'll mature and will end up as our starting center or guard by mid season... He's strong and smart enough to play on pro level, so we may have one of the best oline in the league by midseason and will be ready for the playoffs... Bulger should get 4,500 and 30 TDs this season and Jackson will go over 1,200...
    If Jackson gets more than 1,200 yrds its because they finaly put Martz in a strait jacket and somebody else is calling the plays.:tongue:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    If Jackson gets more than 1,200 yrds its because they finaly put Martz in a strait jacket and somebody else is calling the plays.:tongue:
    lol you're probably right :redface:

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFamily
    If this kid carries his passion for the game into this season, and focuses his energy on the field, he is going to be another weapon for the Rams. We look to have one of the most dangerous teams this coming year.
    I hate to disagree with you, NFLTopGun. I don't see Bulger going 4500 yards with 30 TD's or Jackson going 1200 yards. I see Bulger topping 5,000 with 40 TD's, and Jackson may go as far as 1500 yards. (I watched the Alex Barron video....plus the Atogwe video. With the way Atogwe creates turnovers, we should have the ball a lot more often....)
    Hey, I hope you're right, man...

Mercclass is offline Registered User

I only watched the film of Incognito that ESPN showed during the draft and he was the most impressive lineman that they showed footage of. Barron on the otherhand didn't look dominating at all and looked a little awkward at times.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Barron is so athletic he didnt worry to much about technique at the college level now he is in the pros the coaches will teach him properly and we will have orlando mark 2 at RT