• 2 Post By Treeram
  • 3 Post By sosa39rams
  • 2 Post By 39WillRunYaOva
  • 2 Post By ZiaRam
  • 2 Post By RockinRam

Thread: BUY or SELL?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

BUY or SELL?

Although we haven't seen Brandon Lloyd or Mark Clayton play one down this season. Let's say for arguments sake that Lloyd is as good as advertised and Clayton picks up right were he left off before his injury last season.

2012 Wide Receivers:
    Brandon Lloyd (we resign him)
    Mark Clayton
    Danny Amendola
    Danario Alexander
    Brandon Gibson
    Austin Pettis
    Greg Salas

Also Lance Kendricks will be in his 2nd season so we should see improvement from him as an offensive weapon.

There are other areas of concern in my mind.

Secondary:
    Al Harris is 36 years old now. Will Ron bartell recover from his serious injury?

Linebackers:
    Ben Leber and Brady Poppinga are both 32 years old and haven't been all that impressive.

Defensive Tackles:
    Fred Robbins will be 35 years old next season and Justin Bannan will be 33.

Defensive Ends:
    James Hall will be 35 years old next season.

Sure looks like our defense is getting old?

So the question is do you BUY or SELL using our 1st or 2nd round pick in next seasons draft on a Wide Receiver?

Me....I'm selling

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: BUY or SELL?

Nope, at this point I'd want to take a look on finding young defensive players in the early rounds, specifically a CB in the 1st and an OLB or DT in the 2nd. Even though our receiving corps is young for the most part, I'd give them a 2nd chance in the system, especially since they showed signs of improvement and can get better

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Depending on the draft position, I'm still buying a WR in the first round. We need another playmaker plain and simple. We can't just keep trusting guys like Gibson and DX to put it together year after year only to see them struggle with inconsistency. We need a franchise WR to go with our franchise QB. I look at the WR's you listed and I don't think any of them have that potential. We need that Torry Holt to go with our Isaac Bruce in Brandon LLoyd (in spirit, of course).

Fact: The elite teams in this league have more that just one playmaker on their offense. We sure did too, when we were the the greatest show on turf. Sam Bradford deserves the best.

The other areas of need you listed can be solved with picks in the later rounds, or by FA. I'd feel much better taking a WR in the first rather than a CB, DT, or OLB. Look at how Fletch has done when he's healthy. He was a third rounder.

Listen, I was and still am for the Brandon LLoyd trade. But he is by no means a #1 franchise WR. He didn't heal the wound that is the Rams starting receivers, but he helps clean it.

With guys like Alshon Jeffery, Justin Blackmon, and Micheal Floyd potentially on the board, it would be a huge mistake not to pick one of those guys up. The NFL stands for National Football League, but it also stands for Not For Long. Enough giving players chance after chance after chance for not performing. This isn't a daycare, its Professional Football.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -10-19-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    Tampa_Ram, RockinRam and ZiaRam like this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Im with Fett on this one, buying all the way.

Next year we get Bartel and murphy back too, gotta remember that. I think we can pick up a really nice cb in the 2nd.

We still need that true #1
    wouldnt you feel much better, and Sam be much happier, with a wr unit like this:

Jeffery
    Lloyd
    Clayton
    DX
    Salad
    Pettis
    Amendolla
    Fettmaster and ZiaRam like this.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

If Lloyd is who we hope he is, and Clayton and Ammendola return from injury to their 2010 forms, I would sell drafting a receiver. Luckily we have 13 games to determine if two of those things come true.

Corner, safety, linebacker, and dt are all high on our needs list, though corner would certainly drop if Bartell, Fletcher, and Murphy all come back healthy.

(You take the top three corners off any team, ANY team, and see how well their defense plays)
    ZiaRam likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Im sure the Rams will truly realize after this season the importance of getting some better WR's. The lack of a good receiver has stared them in the face for too long.! I honestly will be disgusted if the Rams do not draft a true No.1 WR with big play ability.!
    Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

Treeram is offline Registered User

I am buying. A lot of weaknesses will be null and void if we have weapons because NO ONE leaves desean jackson in single coverage. That effect really helps the O-line and running game, which in turns helps the defense stay off the field..."Football is a game of attrition, dish out as much as possible and threaten even more"

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

WR and I will not go any other way. Bannan is playing at a high level, though Robbins needs to be replaced. We get all 3 CB's back so I am not too worried. James Hall is a FA anyway.
    Fettmaster, Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

WR all the way,we need to give Sam a target for the future that he can grow with.Some1 with elite talent and not just a product of 2nd chances.Any1 can look decent if given enough chances to play,but consistency is another issue which we dont have.

mh-i is offline Registered User

If the Rams end up with the 1st or 2nd pick overall in the draft I think they'll trade down so they can attempt to fill a few holes. I just don't see them or anyone else for that matter, taking a WR with the 1st or 2nd overall pick.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Buy that twice! We need another top tier WR to pair with Clayton/Dx/ Lloyd and we will have a nice WR core and compliment our QB and #1 pick a couple of years ago in Sam Bradford finally. I know defense has some needs but in the game of football you win by scoring points! I'd rather be able to score a certain amount each game and have our defense bend not break. I'm sure there will be a couple of Defensive FA's we can plug in there.
    Fettmaster and Tampa_Ram like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I will buy this....

2012 Wide Receivers:

Brandon Lloyd (we resign him)
    Justin Blackmon
    Mark Clayton
    Danny Amendola
    Greg Salas
    Danario Alexander
    Austin Pettis

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I think you have got to aquire Justin Blackmon. I think this guy is going to be something special. I.M.O they have to trade up and get him.

Ideally they follow that up with a trade to get back in the first round and acquire a D.T with tremendous upside. Either a playmaker or a big nasty run stuffer. This is a glaring need.

You follow that up with a focus on the defence when it comes to the draft I.M.O, but you always look at what is available in the draft especially on who falls for help on the Offencive line. You go B.P.A look at where it is getting us.

I think the Rams will be in a better situation next season to start making trades to shake things up at the draft with the Rams having less holes to fill then the last three seasons.

We also do not know what the offseason free agent market will look like. As for the combination of:

2012 wide receivers
    Brandon Lloyd
    Justin Blackmon
    Mark Clayton
    Danny Amendola
    Greg Salas
    Danario Alexander
    Austin Pettis

at W.R that is just sick. I have great hope for the future. So to sum up I am buying they still need to draft for a W.R in the first round. Remember a great man once said you draft and build from the inside out. Start with the trenches and work your way outside.

Go Rams 2011

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I will sound pretty lame on this one, but I sincerely believe both Laram0 and fettmaster offer excellent points on both sides of the issue. On the one hand, as laramo points out, we have a decent corps of receivers on paper if Clayton and Lloyd pan out, and still have other glaring needs which need to be addressed. On the flip side, fettmaster rightly states that the great teams have multiple playmakers on offense- guys that can break open a game- and we don't have ANY at the receiver position. We cannot wait around forever for guys to get healthy, play to their potential and show us this group is good enough.

I think the remainder of the season will give a good indication in which direction we go. If this receiving coprs can stay healthy and put up similar numbers to what they did vs. green bay on a consistent basis, then I could see us NOT taking a big receiver in the 1st round and using the pick to draft a stud on defense.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

The way I see it is that there is no more time and patience to see how receivers will pan out in our system. No more excuses such as, "give them another year and see how well they do in this system". Draft an elite WR, now.
    Fettmaster and ZiaRam like this.