View Poll Results: Would you like it if we got Long and saved Littles cap number by getting rid of him?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

29 64.44%
  • no

16 35.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Smile Bye Bye Little... Do you think this DL would be better?

Last year Little only played in 6 games and had 1 sack.

2007 DL (primary)
    DE Hall
    DT Ryan /Glover /Wrotten
    DT Carriker
    DE Adeyanju

2008 DL
    DE Hall /Adeyanju
    DT Ryan /Glover /Wrotten
    DT Carriker
    DE Long (chris)

We had problems rushing the passer from the DE position. IMO Long would be a good replacement for Little (will be 34) which we did not have provide but 1 sack last year. We really need two young DEs because Little and Hall are almost toast (getting old). We would also save nearly 9 million by ditching Little. Our DL would be better this year then last IMO and we could spend the 9 million on another defensive position like DB. IMO our defense would be much improved by getting rid of Little drafting Long and spending the savings else where.
    I know some people do not think Long will make it past the first pick. However this is how I would like to ideally see this play out.

If Long did not make it I still think the following DL would be better
    DE Hall
    DT Ryan
    DT Dorsey
    DE Carriker

We would still be able to save the big cap hit and direct the money else where. This DL would be better suited for a 3 4 IMO.

3 4 DL
    DE Carriker
    NT Ryan
    DE Dorsey

If we ever want to switch to the 3 4 permanently Dorsey might be a better 3 4 DE then Long he has more power then Long.

Bottom line we need youth at the DE position.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-23-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bye Bye Little... Do you think this DL would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    IMO our defense would be much improved by getting rid of Little drafting Long and spending the savings else where.
    I tend to agree, which is why Chris Long remains the top choice on my board. The question is whether or not he's going to be there. Rams fans across the world need to be praying that Parcells and company in Miami fall in love with Matt Ryan.

I know some people do not think Long will make it past the first pick. However this is how I would like to ideally see this play out.

If Long did not make it I still think the following DL would be better
    DE Hall
    DT Ryan
    DT Dorsey
    DE Carriker
    I don't think that line does much to improve our pass rush. We're not going to challenge the edge much with Hall and Carriker rushing from outside, and though Dorsey has good quickness off the line and can disrupt in the backfield, I question whether he can be an elite interior pass rusher at the next level - only 13 sacks in 51 college games isn't elite production. He'll help create opportunities for others, but since this line-up lacks a good pass rush threat from the outside, you have to wonder if we'll be in a position to truly take advantage of those opportunities.

If we ever want to switch to the 3 4 permanently Dorsey might be a better 3 4 DE then Long he has more power then Long.
    Dorsey is not a good fit in the 3-4.

viper is offline Registered User

The 3-4 concept with Carriker, Ryan and Dorsey (or C.Long) does appeal to me. It basically becomes a win-win situation no matter who Miami selects at number one. In that scenario no matter which one is available to us, C. Long or Dorsey, we win. You certainly don't design you entire defensive philosphy around which player you draft (i.e. C. Long or Dorsey), but it does give you some flexibility. Especially, considering the fact that Haslett showed more 3-4 looks last season than I think any of us expected.

As far as cuttng Little is concerned I'm torn. I still think that he has some game left in him. But, he needs to restructure his contract for sure. He's not the $9 million dollar man anymore. His production at DE has gone down. His outside pass rush has become too predictable. He needs to change it up more if he's going to stay at that position. If we did go to the 3-4, pick up Dorsey or C. Long, Little could become a viable option as an outside linebacker. Couple that with another linebacker in the darft or thruogh FA and all of a sudden you can have a 3-4 defense IMO.
    Last edited by viper; -02-23-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I like Little & I think he can still play. Keep him as long as he restructures his contract. If not I say cut him.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think youre right. Getting Long and cutting Little would save us quite a bit of money, Long is fresh...Little is old, hurt, we dont know what he can produce this season, or any after.

Atleast Long can work hard and get to that point.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

The problem with keeping Little is we would only be able to count on him for another year or two. Then we would be back in the same boat of looking for a replacement. I would rather replace him now and spend the 9 mil he is do on a younger defensive player that could help out now and be a part of this teams future plans. IMO if we should not sign a stop gap player. We need to build for the future with younger players that can contribute now and are either on the upswing or peak of their careers. I could go for signing an older player if we had a stronger team like say the Patriots where they have very few holes. But we have several marginal players at best we need to get better across the board and the only way to do that is to go young and fix it over the next two to three seasons. We can be competitive now and try to be a really good team two years from now. We need to start looking at younger players who can mature in our program. If we sign Little we will be taking money away from a younger player that could help us out not only next year but for years to come. A younger player could remain with us long past Littles last game in the NFL.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

It all comes down to Little's toe. If (& thats a big if) his toe is fixed & back to normal so he can get that quick push off the line then we have to try & keep Little. But if the doctors have any concerns with it then we must let Little go. It pains me to say that but toe injuries can be devastating & Little needs his speed to be a dominanting force at DE.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I think the optimal solution is to have Little restructure and then (hopefully!) draft Long. We need them both. It would be awful risky to dump Little if he is 100% healthy and essentially count on a rookie providing all the pass rush we need on his own (not counting blitzing, which is a double-edged sword). We need to get pressure from both ends and the way to do that is to keep Little. I know he will only play a year or two more, but that's time we can use to bring someone else (that we pick on day 2 this year) along while we also play Chris Long at the other spot from day 1.

This of course is totally dependent on 2 things: a) Little restructures and brings his cap number dramatically down & b) Little is deemed 100% healthy by our doctors.

We need both Little and Long! That would finally give us pressure from both sides, something we have lacked for years now.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

I have been thinking for several months now that we should get rid of Little. There are too many questions about his health and how effective he will be, not to mention we need to continue to get younger along the D-line (guys like Carriker, Ryan, Adeyanju, etc.) and move out the older, less effective (or soon to be) guys (Glover, Little, Hall). As Nick stated, Rams fans around the world will have to pray that Chris Long is available. If not, we may be able to still draft another DE like Gholston (if we traded down) or get someone like Dorsey. Either way, we have to cut Little or get him to restructure. We may even be able to trade him. BTW, can someone give me the details of Little's contract (when it expires, $$$ value, etc.).

However if we do get rid of Little, we need to make sure we pick up another DE to give us a great rush from both sides.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    We need both Little and Long! That would finally give us pressure from both sides, something we have lacked for years now.
    I agree. Long/Hall is preferable to Little/Hall at this point, but Little/Long is better than either of those if Little can get healthy. His performance in '08 can be chalked up to playing on a toe that was in decidedly worse condition than originally thought. However, we'd have to get him to come down a lot on the contract front. Otherwise, we can't afford him.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

cutting Little and getting Long doesn't help the problem. The problem we have had for years is to get a pass rush oposite little (Hargrove, Hall, etc.) He has had no one since Winstrom when he was having his best years. By cutting Bruce we would be burdening him with the same problem. I say we restructure Little take away some double teams away from him with little so he and the other young members of the d-line can be can as successful as possible.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -02-23-2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo

Remember guys we aren't guaranteed Long just yet. Parcells wants a guy who won't hold out if Ryan demands big big bucks Jamarcus Russell and more bucks. He will gladly take Chris Long as a consolation prize

bigredman is offline Registered User

Watching Long today in the combine. I want this guy. I mean I REALLY WANT THIS GUY. I normally wouldn't think using the second pick in the draft would be worth going after a lineman, but this guy comes from some excellent football genes. He's the Manning of linemen. You get a feeling about some players, and I feel and believe Long has hall of fame character, desire, talent, and will. A great lineman is worth his weight in gold and will pay dividends beyond those glamor players teams normally chase. I'll stop now....I feel myself blushing!
    Last edited by bigredman; -02-23-2008 at 11:39 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Watching Long today in the combine. I want this guy. I mean I REALLY WANT THIS GUY. I normally wouldn't think using the second pick in the draft would be worth going after a lineman, but this guy comes from some excellent football genes. He's the Manning of linemen. You get a feeling about some players, and I feel and believe Long has hall of fame character, desire, talent, and will. A great lineman is worth his weight in gold and will pay dividends beyond those glamor players teams normally chase. I'll stop now....I feel myself blushing!

Sure glad you added that last word, BRM...

If Jake is anywhere near the impact player his dad was then he would be worth the pick. :l
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Who is Jakes dad? I'm not sure you guys are talking about the same guys I think one of you is talking about Chris and the other talking about Jake Long. Because Chris is the one with famous Dad and Chris didn't preform at the combine today, but Jake did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-27-2008, 12:22 AM
  2. -02-23-2008, 05:15 PM