AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Call me crazy, but the player who needs a bigger role in the Linehan offense is...

Shaun McDonald.

Shaun McDonald, you ask... Yes, that's who I said.

Linehan's passing offense relies heavily on quick (2-3 step drop) passes where the WR is expected to gain yards with quick moves after the catch. These include quick slants and WR screens. In the old GSOT days, Martz ran some plays of this type, with great success, to Az Hakim.

The player on the Rams who may be best suited for plays of this type, particularly from the slot position, is McDonald. While Shaun is not as fast as Kevin Curtis, and does not run patterns like Holt or Bruce, he is quick. I think he's a guy who could do a lot more in this type of offense.

Like I said, call me crazy...

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Call me crazy, but the player who needs a bigger role in the Linehan offense is...

ok you are crazy, but I like your line of thinking. Aren't both Curtis & McDonald in contract years ?? Maybe McDonald fits in better with this type of offense than say a straight ahead speed guy like Curtis. Or another option could be Fisher catching some screen passes and using his speed and elusiveness to get down field. If teams are going to blitz us to death with our current situation on the line, what better way to slow that down than screen passes to a shifty guy like Fisher. Both Jackson & Fisher in the backfield at times with Fisher chip blocking then getting a screen pass out in the flat.

Ok, maybe I'm crazy too.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: Call me crazy, but the player who needs a bigger role in the Linehan offense is...

Agree with the quick slant & screen passes approach, but what about our freakin' TE's? Where are they?

Why not throw to Klop more? He'll undoubtably be covered by an LB. He may not bust one open 50 yarders, but he'll get positive yardage and move the chains.

Personnally, I like Curtis better than McDonald. Mac, like AZ, fumble too much for my liking. Also, Curtis has blazing speed.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Shaun McDonald.

Linehan's passing offense relies heavily on quick (2-3 step drop) passes where the WR is expected to gain yards with quick moves after the catch. These include quick slants and WR screens. In the old GSOT days, Martz ran some plays of this type, with great success, to Az Hakim.

The player on the Rams who may be best suited for plays of this type, particularly from the slot position, is McDonald. While Shaun is not as fast as Kevin Curtis, and does not run patterns like Holt or Bruce, he is quick. I think he's a guy who could do a lot more in this type of offense.

Crazy!!! heehee.. i'm not sure

If it's speed we're after, take Bruce(Slowest) out, stick Macdonald in the slot and Curtis oppposite Holt, for the 'speed' plays if and when required...

Great1 is offline Registered User

Isaac Bruce is our slowest reciever? uh noo. Our slowest reciever would probably be dane looker and Torry Holt after that.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i agree mcdonald could and should be used more,we have so much firepower and not to be taking advantage is just a shame,we really need to kick it up a bit.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Re: Call me crazy, but the player who needs a bigger role in the Linehan offense is..

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Shaun McDonald.

I've actually been saying this for a while... not so much that we need to put McDonald in the game, but if we are going to throw those quick hits to the outside, we shouldnt be throwing it to Holt and Bruce.

I think i said this already in a different thread, but we have too much depth at WR to be running 2 WR sets the entire game.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Linehan's passing offense relies heavily on quick (2-3 step drop) passes where the WR is expected to gain yards with quick moves after the catch.
    Really thats not what I have seen everything seems to be deep.

I've actually been saying this for a while... not so much that we need to put McDonald in the game, but if we are going to throw those quick hits to the outside, we shouldnt be throwing it to Holt and Bruce.
    If you mean the one yard gains absolutely I say scrath those stupid routes unless the db is playing way off. 7- 8 yard out patterns or in patterns Holt and Bruce all day its not speed its the move they put on.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I agree. Curtis could do that but doesn't have the quickness.

Or if we want to produce one through Linehan just wait until the draft to start doing that and use Ted Ginn Jr.
    RamsFan16

Rambos is online now Registered User

If we are going to go deep it should be to Curtis not Holt. Holt is the deep dig route for 20 yards, Curtis is the guy too go deep with.

MATEOBURRITO is offline Registered User

I noticed that Linehan was having Bulger throw downfield quite a bit in the first two games. Usually when Bulger throws downfield, I have to hold my breath. I know that Bulger's strength is not the deep ball, but rather delivering quick and accurate mid-range passes. It seemed like in a lot of cases, the receivers were getting free, and Bulger just wasn't delivering the ball to them well enough. I like the idea of getting McDonald more involved, but before that can take place, I think Bulger has to refine his deep passing skills.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

I think Bulger has to refine his deep passing skills.
    I think Linehan needs to refine his game plan to best utilize his talent. Hopefully he will.Its not just players learning a new offence its a coach learning new players. What seperates all the great NFL coaches right now from the herd is their ability to maximize their players talents. Patriots, Steelers, Seahawks, these coaches know what their players accell at and they formulate their gameplan to fit it.
    LET'S GO DODGERS