Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Call them "The Core," Call them "The Untouchables," but there are only 8 of them.

You start with a 6-10 team...

You add a dash of labor relations uncertainty...

What you end up with is a situation in which the list of players guaranteed to be on the Rams and playing a significant role in 2006 is limited.

Call them "The Core"...

Call them "The Untouchables"...

But make no mistake... there are only 8 players who are guaranteed to be major players with the 2006 Rams. They are:

Marc Bulger
    Steven Jackson
    Torry Holt
    Orlando Pace
    Alex Barron
    Leonard Little
    Pisa Tinoisamoa
    Jeff Wilkins

Sure, there are other players that are a good bet to be on the team - but many of them are right on the edge of starter/reserve status. Others should be back and starting, but have contract issues. Still others are likely to be replaced.

This is going to be a strange offseason, and an even stranger season to come.

If you think you know what the 2006 Rams will look like... think again.

At best, you only know of 8 core players.

Stay tuned.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Call them "The Core," Call them "The Untouchables," but there are only 8 of them.

Ya thats not true. We thought Bruce was a untouchable.
    RamsFan16

Re: Call them "The Core," Call them "The Untouchables," but there are only 8 of them.

I didn't. I thought he'd re-sign, but I was well aware of the potential that there could be a problem here.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I thought they'd get it done too, but am amazed it got this far this quickly. That list is accurate as far as I'm concerned.

thegeorge613 is offline Registered User

A little shocked about the Bruce situation, but I have to agree with that list.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Ya thats not true. We thought Bruce was a untouchable.
    Not really. I specifically remember a big discussion weeks ago where a lot of us weighed the idea of Bruce being released if he doesn't restructure.

bruce_wannabe Guest

releasing bruce is the "belicheck" way of getting things done and it is whats best for the team but at the same time, are the rams going to use all of the salary cap this year and sign a bunch of free agents to help this team immediately or be a bunch of losers with cap room like they used to be for years????

IsaacBruceFan80 is offline Registered User

With the release of Isaac they should be 18 million under. I still think the release of Isaac is a mistake on so many levels. If they don't spend that 18 mil on major impact players,it would be the mother of all f-ups in my humble opinion. I am a bit biased as you can guess,but they have to prove to fans that there is justification in letting the face of the franchise walk.

chiguy is offline Registered User

1. Anyone who thinks the Rams won't use their cap space this year is nutty. The only scenario in which they don't is if the salary cap is going to be completely gonzo, in which case they'll either save so they can buck up next year or they'll simply be priced out of the market.

2. Anyone who thought Bruce was secure wasn't paying attention -- I'm looking at you IBF80. In today's NFL, no one would've kept Issac on their roster at what he was making. He's still a fine receiver, but he's nothing like he was three years ago. And you need to recognize that Bruce and his agent have a role to play here -- they rejected contract offers over 3+ million a year.

3. Most Rams fans on this board have been seriously overestimating how good we were going to be next year anyway. Our problems on defense are bigger than they think, IMO, and we also have depth issues on offense. We were headed for a transition year in 2006 whether Martz was the coach or not. The only question is how many years of purgatory we'll suffer before we get going back in the right direction. The way to minimize that is to ensure you don't overpay for aging veterans, to maximize cap space, and to rip the band-aid off fast -- don't prolong your misery.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

they rejected contract offers over 3+ million a year.
    That's good money for a #3 receiver, which Bruce now is. Unfortunately, either Bruce and/or his agent don't realize he is a #3 receiver. Sure there are teams where he could be the #2, even the #1 receiver, but the Rams aren't one of them.

I want Bruce back, and hopefully a brand new contract can be brought to fruition........but for no more than #3 money.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    That's good money for a #3 receiver, which Bruce now is. Unfortunately, either Bruce and/or his agent don't realize he is a #3 receiver. Sure there are teams where he could be the #2, even the #1 receiver, but the Rams aren't one of them.

I want Bruce back, and hopefully a brand new contract can be brought to fruition........but for no more than #3 money.
    Wow now he's a #3. That's silly. He was hurt last season and has no numbers. The season before here are his stats

89 1,292 14.5 6

Those are hardly #3 numbers especially with Holt on the other side. So one injury riddled season drops him down to a number 3, bah cmon.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Wow now he's a #3. That's silly. He was hurt last season and has no numbers. The season before here are his stats

89 1,292 14.5 6

Those are hardly #3 numbers especially with Holt on the other side. So one injury riddled season drops him down to a number 3, bah cmon.
    Yes, actually it does, as a Ram anyway. At this point, Holt is a better receiver than Bruce. At this point, Curtis is a better receiver than Bruce. That makes Bruce the #3 receiver.

As I said earlier, there are teams where Bruce will be the #2, even #1 receiver......but not here.

P.S. Congratulations on the soon-coming 1000th post.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Yes, actually it does, as a Ram anyway. At this point, Holt is a better receiver than Bruce. At this point, Curtis is a better receiver than Bruce. That makes Bruce the #3 receiver.

As I said earlier, there are teams where Bruce will be the #2, even #1 receiver......but not here.

P.S. Congratulations on the soon-coming 1000th post.
    It's funny we have had at the same topic in different posts it's hard to keep up. LOL

I read what you said in all of the posts and we both agree that Bruce is overall a #2

Where we can agree to disagree is that Bruce is automatically a #3 on the Rams before Bruce and Curtis duke it out in camp.

Unless Bruce gives up the #2 spot on the Rams (if he is even here) then I think he beats Curtis for the #2 spot.

Thanks about the 1000 post.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

With the addition of Glover, I guess the core is up to 9 players now.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    With the addition of Glover, I guess the core is up to 9 players now.
    Well Glover is definitely around this year, but he oculd easily be cut if he doesn't pan out, Chris Claiborne style

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast