throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Cam Cameron as OC

Can someone tell me why we want this guy? Miami was 1-15 this year with him as head coach. Miami got rid of a lot of their playmakers during the year. Did you see Chris Chambers playing yesterday for the Chargers?

I assume that everyone is basing his value off of his time as OC with the Chargers. The Chargers have had some serious talent with Tomlinson, Gates, Drew Brees, and Rivers on the team.

Do you think that the Chargers were successful because of the talent that they drafted or do you think that Cam Cameron is a very good Offensive Coordinator who made the right moves, adjustments, and play calls?

So for you experts out there, why do you want Cam on the Rams?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cam Cameron as OC

Cameron ran a successful offense in SD when Rivers was pretty green and the WR corps was pretty average. In Miami, he had no talent on the offensive side of the ball.

So do you think we have enough talent on the offense for him to work with? Or do you think he would want to clean house here also?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think we have a core of talent (Bulger, Holt, Jackson, Bruce, McMichael) at the skill positions. I think if you add 1 top-notch O lineman (and the injured players get healthy) and a young deep threat at WR, there's more than enough talent to have success.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think we have a core of talent (Bulger, Holt, Jackson, Bruce, McMichael) at the skill positions. I think if you add 1 top-notch O lineman (and the injured players get healthy) and a young deep threat at WR, there's more than enough talent to have success.
    I see that you did not mention Bennett in the core group. Probably for good reasons.

I have to wonder what Cameron would think about Holt and Bruce since Bruce is reaching the end of his career and Holt has not played up to his old abilities since his operation. Would he want to work with them or would he want to move on?

So you think that the O line will be fine if they can stay healthy next season. That might be true. I wonder if the injuries will continue or if they can figure out what needs to be done to prevent injuries.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I'm wondering what Cameron would do with McMichael if he's ever hired. I never could understand why he was unceremonially dumped by him in the first place. Utter makes a good point in that it was Cameron who released/traded both Chambers (a certifiable stud) and McMichael and then goes on to run one of the worst offenses in the NFL. And just who replaced these guys, David Martin?, haha, Ted Ginn? BWAHAHAHA!!

WHAT SAY YE ?

Drummerman1011 Guest

See the thing about this one is he is the OC, not the head coach. He has really almost no say as to where players go and who gets traded. He is supposed to work with what he has. So I don't think we have to worry bout our players getting traded away and all that stuff. When Cameron was an offensive coordinator he ran very well. Had a great passing game and of course made the running game as well too. Jackson aint no LT but JAckson is very good as well. Cameron can help our offense all around.

I don't see Cameron or any other OC wanting to get rid of Holt. Bruce is more of a question, given his age.

I don't think the O line is necessarily good enough as is (even if healthy), but I do think that one top-notch addition (Alan Faneca, for example) could be enough to get them there.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Cameron ran a successful offense in SD when Rivers was pretty green and the WR corps was pretty average.
    Well, that offense also featured arguably the best running back in today's game, one of the league's best tight ends, and most importantly, one of the top offensive line units as well. Yes, Phillip Rivers was inexperienced, but he's talented nonetheless.

Not trying to minimize what Cameron did out there or the hand he had in everything, but he did have quite a bit of talent on that offense, especially in the last 2-3 years of his time there as the offensive line started to emerge and solidify.

I think we have enough talent at the skill positions to succeed, but my biggest worry is along the offensive line. Even when we're healthy, I think there are a number of significant questions along this unit that need to be addressed sooner rather than later, specifically at left guard, center, and right tackle.

There's an interesting write-up from Pro Football Weekly back in September that talked about how the typically balanced Cameron went pass-happy at times early in the season because he didn't trust his offensive line to open up holes in the ground game. So one of our top offseason priorities should be making sure we have personnel along the offensive line that's going to be able to accomplish what we need them to. And frankly, that should be a priority regardless of whether or not Cameron becomes the OC.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Perhaps I am being too pessimistic, but from my view it appears as if the OC gig is likely going to be a 1 year deal considering the foggy state of affairs in our front office.

I agree with Av that we still have enough core guys to do some damage, and I still haven't given up on Bennett. Nevermind if we paid too much for him -- it is what it is, and he is our guy for now. A healthy Bennett coupled with an uninjured O-line may yet surprise. If we start the season injury free, and Bulger can regain some trust in his O-line, who knows .. Cam could end up looking like a genius ..

So Nick, do you think that Cam Cameron would be a good fit for the rams talent on offense right now and do you think that Linehan and Cameron could work together?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Perhaps I am being too pessimistic, but from my view it appears as if the OC gig is likely going to be a 1 year deal considering the foggy state of affairs in our front office.
    You might be right about that Maui.....this could be a short term job and that may not be very attractive to someone looking for a longer gig.

Cameron is probably feeling bad about the his failure at head coach this year. I wonder what he is looking for now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    So Nick, do you think that Cam Cameron would be a good fit for the rams talent on offense right now and do you think that Linehan and Cameron could work together?
    Schematically, I think he's a good fit. He'll feature Jackson as both a runner and a receiver, meaning he and Linehan will agree about Steven being the centerpiece here. I think he' could get Bulger moving back towards his '06 numbers, considering that he was also able to help Philip Rivers minimize turnovers when he worked with him in 2006. Additionally, our talent at receiver would likely allow Cameron to spread things around a bit more than he may have been used to in San Diego, or perhaps with a bit more confidence.

You'd have to think McMichael would get more looks, as Cameron has experience in San Diego getting Gates involved. But then again, it was Cameron who cut McMichael in Miami. How much of that was a financial decision and how much had to do with McMichael's fit in the scheme, I dunno. I do know one of the reasons McMichael came to St. Louis was because of Linehan and his vision of what a tight end should be, so I would imagine Linehan would be insistent on Cameron using McMichael on the field.

As for whether Linehan and Cameron get along, that's the real issue. It sounds as if Linehan is open to the idea about having another play-caller on his staff, and the fact that he's looking outside of his group of friends or past associates may be an indication that he wouldn't mind having someone like Cameron here. The biggest issue might be Cameron and whether or not he's willing to take an OC job for a team that only two years ago was looking at him as a head coach, and would Linehan be able to coexist with someone who was up for his job.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rams4Life is offline Registered User

Looks like he is going elsewhere:

KFFL - Hot Off the Wire - NFL Breaking News, Notes and Information

Ravens | Cameron likely to be hired as coordinator
    Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:05:36 -0800

Reuben Frank, of PhillyBurbs.com, reports the Baltimore Ravens will likely hire former Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron as their offensive coordinator, according to a league source.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Life View Post
    Looks like he is going elsewhere:

KFFL - Hot Off the Wire - NFL Breaking News, Notes and Information

Ravens | Cameron likely to be hired as coordinator
    Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:05:36 -0800

Reuben Frank, of PhillyBurbs.com, reports the Baltimore Ravens will likely hire former Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron as their offensive coordinator, according to a league source.

Linehan's doing a little Happy Dance in his office right now and screaming, "Now I can hire one of my friends!!!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast