Thread: Camp 8/09/05

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Camp 8/09/05

Noticed that the pace of the drills has picked up again over my last visit over a week ago. You can start to see the players that cannot keep up with the increase in speed and tempo.

I noticed Parrella right away. He looked good. Spry, actually. The guy is getting up there but he held his own in drills. This is the kind of depth that will really pay off, IMO.

I noticed Willig pretty quickly, too. The guy is huge. He was standing next to Pace, Grant Williams and Matt Morgan (All three were not dressed, although I think Morgan was earlier) and Willig looked bigger. He is huge. He looked OK in drills although it was apparent that his conditioning could be better. He looked pretty fatigued and the heat was bothering him, I think. Willig was the 2nd team LOT, which could be where he ends up if G. Williams can hold on to the starting ROT job. I can see Willig starting at ROT before long. We shall see. Tucker was hammered again today. Talk about false advertising. The guy looks lost. beat. Get this guy a white flag. Maybe its rust, maybe its the new system. Whatever it is...its got him good.

I closely watched a RB/FB vs LB drill where the back had to keep the LB away from the QB (tackling dummy). It was spirited. The linebackers were chewing up the backs early, even Faulk was not getting the job done. Jackson and Harris did better than the rest. Cason might as well just put a skirt on. He can't block. period. Claiborne and Trev Faulk were a load. Claiborne took the back with him on his way to the dummy. Impressive. Pisa, Coakley and Pisa were shifty. Chillar bulled his way through a few times. At one point, Jeremy Lloyd was thrown around by Jackson. Coach Vitt (who was very vocal throughout the drill) screamed at Lloyd and told him (loudly) "if he was going to do the drill like that then he might as well stick out his chest, put a target on it and wear a blindfold." Funny stuff. Hedgecock was not with this group. He was with in the TE group. Interesting.

The receivers vs CBs drill was a one-on-one with Smoker throwing. Smoker had trouble with low and late throws and it really wasnt even his drill. Smoker was not impressive. The drill was predictable. Bruce and Holt (who was dressed and looked fine...better than fine) and Curtis and McDonald all had their way with the CBs. Ivey knocked a few down. He also had an INT later in drills. He is really fighting for a spot. He may get it since the nickel back "leader" (IMO, anyway) was Anderson, but he was cut this morning after violating curfew. You DO NOT get cut for violating this rule a single time. There must have been other stuff. Shame.

Marmie and Schottenhiemer watched and coached this drill carefully. Schottenhiemer did a lot of talking and pointing things out to players. Marmie didnt say much..some at the end. Marmie appears very, very unmotivating. He's a thinker and a watcher. I hope our defense doesnt pick up the attributes of their master. Thinking can be OK, but the watching thing 'aint so hot.

Holt caught a long TD in drills, effortlessly. Bruce looked great. Curtis made a nice catch but had trouble with the low throws. McDonald dropped passes and also dropped a punt return. He was bothered by a leg injury all day. I'm guessing hammy. It was affecting him and I was surprised that he continued to play. Must not have been a hamstring the more I think about it. Jeremy Carter caught a nice pace in redzone drills.

In the redzone drills (which was run without lineman on either side) the DBs were really put to the test. Archulleta looked good. Carter made some mistakes and seemed to have trouble with the tempo all day. I hope he hasnt hit the wall. The guy that was continually burned and looked confused was Hawthorne. He was turned around by Bruce, who caught an endzone corner route. He was left standing still by Curtis who caught a crossing pattern right across the back of the endzone. Bartell was burned on a scissor route with Bruce and Holt. Fisher made a nice play and so did Ivey. Stone knocked down one pass from Martin, but has my son said: Martin telegraphed it so bad that we were all waiting for that throw. I liked Stone, Arch, Fisher, Ivey and even Bartell. Didnt like Hawthorne, who is huge, btw. He is freakin' huge. Atogwe just doesnt seem to do anything. I dont know. maybe its me. I just don't see the guy doing much of anything. He doesnt get burned and he doesnt make plays. He just....disappears.

Didnt watch much of the QB or TE drills. sorry. Only saw the Dline in the full scrimmage.

Little was blowing by people. Parrella walked in on Bulger once. Brian Howard (who looked pissed about something...maybe the Parrella signing?..I dont know) bull rushed Saipaia and knocked him off his feet and then finished him off on the ground. Impressive aggression.
    Pickett was out of uni.

Special teams drills were not pretty. Ligashesky was hopping up and down and screaming with the little bit of voice he has left. He was not happy most of the time. He yelled "we are not the same team!", and "what are you waiting for", and "do not let up in this phase", and finally "do not F' up my practice". Maybe, he is mad. I'm not sure anymore. Hodges the punter was good, bad and ugly all in one drill. He has to step it up. He will get one, maybe two games and then its "see ya" if things do not change.

I am completely unimpressed with everything special teams. Punters, snappers (besided Massey...Saipaia was back there again today and was NOT very good..with balls in the dirt...left...right.) returners, nothing. Ok, maybe Wilkins but he doesnt do anything in practice.

I'm sick of practice and want to see the real thing. Friday will tell us a lot about these rookies and new players.

When the hittin' starts.

My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Camp 8/09/05

Thanx for the info psycho, very informative as always.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

viper is offline Registered User

Thanks for the critique psycho. Well done. How did Kennedy look?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Beautiful read. Excellent report! :up: Much obliged.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Thanks for the first hand view psycho. Any truth to the rumour that coach martz saw you in the stands and asked you to suit up as the alternate punter? Given your long speculated upon tree trunk like leg, we are all supportive of your efforts. You punting might be pretty good also!

ramming speed to all and keep those reports coming.

general counsel

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Very nicely done! These reports are great psycho!

As always...

GO RAMS!!! :clanram:

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Thanks for the first hand view psycho. Any truth to the rumour that coach martz saw you in the stands and asked you to suit up as the alternate punter? Given your long speculated upon tree trunk like leg, we are all supportive of your efforts. You punting might be pretty good also!

ramming speed to all and keep those reports coming.

general counsel
    I told Martz that I can throw farther than I can kick.He got mad and ran to the bathroom.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild