Thread: Camp Battles

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Camp Battles

This is just my take on where the fiercest camp battles will be.
    We all know who's a lock to make the team - no point in listing them.

I am also assuming all the drafted players and free agent pick-ups make the team, and that the Rams keep 6 WR's, (Alexander and Gibson gone), 2 TE's, and 1 back-up QB. I come up with 43 players, including the P, K and LS, which means the rams have 46 players vying for 10 spots.

(Note: The free agent assumption is inherently flawed, as I feel some will be replaced by UDA's, but you gotta' start somewhere).

My O and D roster depth, by position, is as follows:
    (Number in paraentheses those looking for a job).
    Competition: 0 =none and 5 = fierce.

Offense
    QB - 2 (2) 1
    RB - 2 (4) 2
    FB - 1 (1) 3
    WR - 6 (4) 3
    TE - 2 (6) 4
    OT - 3 (3) 2
    G - 3 (3) 3
    C- 1 (2) 1

Defense
    DE - 5 (2) 3
    DT - 3 (3) 2
    LB - 4 (6) 4
    CB - 5 (3) 2
    S - 3 (3) 2

P-1 (1) 1
    K-1 (1) 1
    LS-1 (1) 1

So, based on this, (assuming you're able to make any sense of the above at all), what are going to become the Rams' strongest positions, based on the cream rising during camp).

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Camp Battles

I think WR is going to be fierce. You may be right in your cuts but it's going to be a battle.
    I agree TE is going to be fierce, IMO Kendricks is the only one that is a safe bet to be here.
    LB's not so sour it's going to be fierce, at all.
    Guard is up in the air someone needs to step up and take the job opening. I Don't have a clue who that is.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

One battle I think doesn't get talked about enough is Cornerback. Finnegan is clearly the CB1, and most pencil in Jenkins as CB2 (and I've even got some questions about that). After that, however, the competition is fierce. In today's pass-heavy-3-WRs-every-stinkin'-play-NFL, it takes 3 corners to make a strong defense. So, who's the third? Despite seemingly everyone else forgetting he exists, I still pick (assuming he's healed up) Bradley Fletcher as the man who'll win the job. However, I could easily see Trumaine Johnson winning the spot if he puts together a good camp/preseason. And let's not forget Jerome Murphy, who showed some promise back in 2010. Heck, maybe the staff sees enough from Josh Gordy to throw him in the slot as the #3. Regardless of the result, I'm certain our secondary will be much improved, which is easy to do when you're setting records for CB's on IR.

(Boy, am I glad King is gone. )

I actually think linebacker will be. Granted Haggan and Dunbar will probably start, but the Rams keep at least 2 more, and they're's 6 guys vying for those 2 spots.
    Cornerback's interesting, and I agree with the assessment based on the pass-happy NFL, but Finnegan, Johnson, Jenkins and Fletcher are locks, and Murphy's probable. That leaves Jordy to battle the UDA's, and despite the fact that it didn't take much to look good at CB last year, given the situation, I think he's for real.
    I also think Dahl's in for a fight form Stewart.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    One battle I think doesn't get talked about enough is Cornerback. Finnegan is clearly the CB1, and most pencil in Jenkins as CB2 (and I've even got some questions about that). After that, however, the competition is fierce. In today's pass-heavy-3-WRs-every-stinkin'-play-NFL, it takes 3 corners to make a strong defense. So, who's the third? Despite seemingly everyone else forgetting he exists, I still pick (assuming he's healed up) Bradley Fletcher as the man who'll win the job. However, I could easily see Trumaine Johnson winning the spot if he puts together a good camp/preseason. And let's not forget Jerome Murphy, who showed some promise back in 2010. Heck, maybe the staff sees enough from Josh Gordy to throw him in the slot as the #3. Regardless of the result, I'm certain our secondary will be much improved, which is easy to do when you're setting records for CB's on IR.

(Boy, am I glad King is gone. )
    I am also interested in this battle. I'd like to see Fletcher and Johnson step up and both prove that the deserve playing time on the field. The NFC West has become the land of giants at WR, with every team having at least a guy or 2 that is 6'3 or taller. I think this is where Fletcher and Johnson could be an asset due to their height. It's also crucial that one of them shows the ability to be able to cover a guy on the outside so we can move Finnegan to the slot how he likes it in nickel packages.

I am confused about the numbers you have written in the OP, VegasRam. Are those numbers the amount that you consider locks to make the team, with the other spots up for grabs? Surely you don't think were only going to carry 2 RB's and 2 TE's on the team when the regular season starts?

Yes and yes.