View Poll Results: Who will be the starting LG?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rex Tucker

11 84.62%
  • Scott Tercero

1 7.69%
  • Blaine Sapaia

1 7.69%
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Camp Battles: LG

Who will start next to Orlando Pace?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Camp Battles: LG

At this point, I think the job is Tucker's to lose. If he can't stay healthy, I think Tercero steps in.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

With the proverbial disclaimer in place...IF HE'S HEALTHY, Tucker is the starter.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

There are some things in life that a person needs to know that they, personally, may have no idea how to measure a starter or not. When it comes to the O line, I have no freaking clue on how to name a starter.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Rex Tucker has proven he's a Pro Bowl quality guard when healthy. The funny thing is, he hasn't been plagued with the same injury over and over again. Leads me to believe it's just bad luck.

Hope his bad luck ends this year.

majorram is offline Registered User

Tucker if and thats a big if, he can stay healthy..

steve

RealRam is offline Registered User

Tucker it is then. I'll hope along w/Zig's thought that the injuries are just a string of bad breaks.

[Article excerpts picked up from the Whiner's (sorry!/yuk!/spit!) Scout Illustrated.com]

June 22, 2005

THE RAMS WENT THROUGH so many left guards last season, it was difficult to keep track. From Chris Dishman to Tom Nutten to Scott Tercero to even rookie Larry Turner, it was a revolving door at the position after Andy McCollum moved back to center.

But entering training camp, the Rams have their fingers crossed that an almost off-the-radar signing will solidify that spot. After three injury-filled seasons in Chicago, the Bears released Rex Tucker. Within days, he signed a one-year contract with the Rams, and was immediately inserted as the starter at left guard.

Obviously, the key will be staying healthy. He was inactive for five games because of a concussion in 2000. But the last three seasons have been a nightmare. Tucker missed the final 11 games of the 2002 season because of a broken ankle. He was out for the entire 2003 season after suffering a torn tendon in his right ankle in the final preseason game. Last year, an elbow injury sidelined him for the first six games, and he then was out for the final four games because of a hamstring injury.

"My injury problems were just year after year after year," Tucker said. "If I was in their (Bears) shoes I would have done the same thing. I mean here is a guy that you invest a certain thing into and all of a sudden he just starts getting injured. I just couldn't avoid it. I figured I would get hit by lightning next time. It was crazy so I didn't know what to do."

Rams coach Mike Martz talks glowingly of what he hopes Tucker will bring to the team.

"He's an experienced veteran who's played at a high level - start there," Martz said. "He's 335 pounds. He's a guy that can stand on the line of scrimmage and slug it out with those big tackles on defense. Those are hard guys to find. Plus, he's got the athleticism to be a good pass blocker. ... He's just got to physically hold up.

"I am pleased with his health. Obviously he has had some problems in years past, but I am real pleased with his progress, how well he has picked things up and from the technical aspect, his fundamentals."

Tucker said learning the offense was made easier by the fact that the Bears ran a similar offense last season.

He also checked with his brother before signing. Ryan Tucker, now with the Browns, started at tackle for the Rams during their 2001 Super Bowl season.

"He said it was a great place to play," Rex Tucker said. "I'm just glad to be here."

HE WAS HIS OLD self when the Rams went through the paces of their minicamp and concluded organized team activities. [End of excerpts]

Let's go for it Rex! :angryram:
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-18-2005 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Insert article date