throwback week

Thread: Camp report ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Camp report ..

From another forum ..

By Harvard

It was a long day and kind of tired....so this won't be much of a report....but just wanted to check in before I open a bottle of wine in my room and pass out.

Arrived in St. Louis at 9:30 this am. Unfortunately, right before I went to bed last night I learned that today's practice had been changed from "open" to closed to the public. I was kind of bummed to only get one day at camp...Friday...but it was too late to cancel. When I got to my hotel I learned it is literally across the street from Rams Park. So it took a walk over and went inside. Really cool stuff in the lobby...the Lombardi Trophy...being the coolest. The NFC Championship Trophies were there too. And Faulk's MVP. Didn't see Warners. A bunch of old black and white photos on the walls...Norm Van Brocklin...Crazy Legs Hirsch....Tom Mack...Team photo of the 1979 NFC Champions.

Then I saw the receptionist sitting at the front desk and I got an idea. I walked up to her and said "I just flew in from CT to watch a couple days of practice and go to the game on Saturday. Can you tell me if practice is still at 5:00 today." I saw her gulp and get a little nervous and she said "you flew in from Connecticut?" I said yeah. Then she said "just to watch practice?"...and I said "yeah".

Very sheepishly she told me that at the last minute practice had been switched to closed....I was gracious about it but a little disappointed. Then she said exactly what I wanted to hear. "You know what...you flew all the way here...I'm going to let you watch it anyway. I'm going to put you in the VIP tent". CHA CHING. WINNING!!! So she made me up a VIP pass and told me to come back at 4:30.

That receptionist has a very nice thank you gift coming her way.

It was awesome....We were shaded from the sun....though it cooled off nicely over the course of the 2.5 hour practice. There were all the free beverages (non-alcoholic of course) you could drink and light snacks for no charge. They gave me a roster, a schedule, a poster and a sharpie so I could get autographs (though I didn't feel like going ultra nerd and asking anyone). Kind of kicking myself though because I could've gotten Bradfords. He was signing for everyone and he walked right up and was standing literally a foot away from me. But I didn't ask...Just said good luck Sam. Chris Massey, Donnie Avery, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis, Josh Hull, Danny Amendola, Josh Brown, Mike Sims Walker, Brandon Gibson all were signing....along with some guys I didn't recognize.

It was mostly friends and family of coaches and players. I could've patted Nolan Cromwell on the back if I wanted...he came over to talk to two older woman who were standing next to me. I talked to both Danny Amendola's and David Vobora's girlfriend for a long time. Vobora's is prettier but Amendola's is nicer. Balzer was there but I didn't waste my time approaching him. I actually helped him write a story about Jim Hanifan a few years back, but we don't really get along. He's a grumpy ogre. I don't know....maybe that was a little harsh. I'm tired. Where's my wine?

Oh the best part...the receptionist told me to come back for another pass tomorrow. Sweet....

Now a few practice notes...I'll leave the real camp reports to the pros here...this is more just random observations.

First of all...LOTS of unfamiliar faces out there. Luckily I had the roster to reference. With 90 guys in camp a lot of guys wear the same number. Offensive guys wear white jerseys and defensive blue. So linebacker Pete Fleps and guard Kevin Hughes are both 64. Drew Miller and George Selvie are both 67 and so on. It got confusing.

The players were wearing "shells" so it's kind of hard to get a read on things. Everyone for the most part looks good in shells. There were no "live" periods...though for not wearing full pads there was quite a bit of contact. At least harder contact than I expected.

Donnie Avery did not practice and was walking with a noticeable limp.

Greg Salas didn't practice either but he said he was going to start practicing next week.

Danario Alexander did practice...but I don't get a good vibe from him. He looks like he runs gingerly...like his knees are bothering him. He didn't look as crisp or fast as the other WRs. Of all the WRs I saw today...he looked the worst. I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.

Amendola caught everything that was thrown his way...and that was a lot. I must've seen him catch 50 balls today in various drills. He looks great. He also got virtually all of the PR work. They did a lot of 11 on 11 punting today and Amendola was the only one returning. Earlier in practice they did individual punting drills with just the punter....three defenders and a returner...and in this drill they put others back there briefly. Gilyard took a couple turns and so did Austin Pettis. Pettis dropped two punts in a row and didn't look natural back there at all so doubt that's in his future. By the way...Donnie Jones punted like :!: today. I could've done better...even in the flip flops I was wearing.

Mike Sims Walker looked good. Caught some nice long balls from Sam. He's wearing number 10.

Brandon Gibson looked really polished and I didn't see him drop anything.

There was a report on St. Louis radio today that said the Rams are going to sign Mark Clayton next week. Amendola's girlfriend said it too. Not sure if she's a credible source. If we sign Clayton then I really think Avery and Alexander could be gone. Even Gilyard looked good. Quick and catching everything.

Dominique Curry was a participant in some drills but no 7 on 7 or full team action. For those he just ran on the side. He had a big cast on one hand...i mean big...it looked like a club....all the fingers fused together....but still caught the ball nicely including a couple of one handers.

Hooman was nowhere to be found...not even working on the side. Wasn't out there.

Bradford looked great...and the drop off from him to Feeley looked great too. Maybe we should bring in Daunte Culpepper or something (that's a joke...I think). Feeley threw a nice pick to Vobora. I think this is a real area of concern. If anything happens to Bradford, not sure we can win with Feeley.

Jerrious Norwood and Cadillac both looked fresh and healthy. They're wearing #'s 34 and 33 respectively.

Laurinaitis dressed but didn't practice much but he looks like he's close to going.

Everyone was commenting on how good Jackson looks and he broke off a couple long runs...but...

Again...it was shells with no tackling so basically it was just a lot of playing catch and too hand touch.

Chris Long switched to number 91. He still looks small to me for a DE though. Quinn doesn't look especially big either. Couldn't really get much of a read on either lines.

I have to say there's a sense of optimism out here...unlike other times in recent years that I've visited. People are expecting good things....but with the caveat...if they can survive the early part of the schedule.

I don't know how much can be read into Gilyard. I could've looked pretty good...for a 43 year old...out there in shells...running patterns uncovered. When they went 11 on 11 I didn't notice Gilyard as much. But sometimes we were blocked by the players standing on the sideline so he may have been lighting it up for all I know. We'll see what he can do in a game tomorrow night.

I did see Amendola and Sims Walker repeatedly make plays in 11 on 11. Now that I think about it, I don't think Bartell was out there in 11 on 11. I saw him dressed but never saw him practicing. Dahl and Mikell looked like the ones at safety.

That UDFA TE we signed last week...the one I poked fun at Devaney for...Demarco Cosby...looks and plays just like Daniel Fells (so I guess he's got no shot)...and wears the same number 46 so I kept thinking it was Fells out there. The other UDFA TE (just the fact that I have to specify which UDFA TE, tells me we have too many TEs...and Devaney LOVES him some TEs)...Oordt I think his name is....looked pretty good. He didn't do anything spectacular but he looks like he belongs and seemed to be eager to make an impression. Other guys just jogged from session to session but he always seemed to go a little faster than everyone else. Maybe effort will get him a shot on special teams.

Didn't see Lance Kendricks do anything that got me excited. He's number 88. Saw him run some drills but that was pretty much it. I had heard great reviews of him so far so was anxious to see what he can do and I didn't even know he was out there.

After watching practice yesterday...I left with the impression that Sims Walker, Amendola and Gibson were our top 3 WRs. Pettis, Gilyard and Alexander were a notch or two below. Avery looked like he was a while away from playing. If I had to guess right now, our WR corps will look like this:

Sims Walker
    Clayton
    Amendola
    Gibson
    Pettis
    Salas
    Gilyard

There are so many bodies in camp already...and if they bring Clayton back, they have to keep 7 WRs. Can't see them not keeping their 3rd and 4th rounders this year....or their 4th last year, Gilyard, unless he's really stinking it up. And at this point it doesn't seem he is. Live action might clear this picture up....and I wouldn't be surprised to see someone get IR'd just to protect them from signing elsewhere.

That's all I can think of for now. Where's that corkscrew???

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Camp report ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Donnie Avery did not practice and was walking with a noticeable limp.
    Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Danario Alexander did practice...but I don't get a good vibe from him. He looks like he runs gingerly...like his knees are bothering him. He didn't look as crisp or fast as the other WRs. Of all the WRs I saw today...he looked the worst.
    Not Surprised.

If they don't make the Rams squad, it could be the end of their careers. Sad, but that's life in the NFL.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post

If they don't make the Rams squad, it could be the end of their careers. Sad, but that's life in the NFL.
    Well hopefully we can salvage something out of Mardy Gilyard if Avery and DX can't make the cut ..

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I agree with you about Avery Josh. Not good. He's supposed to be getting stronger and faster, not limping around practice. If he's not able to effectively perform in the preseason, he's gone. The Rams will have no choice. Same for DX. I love both these guys, but their histories don't give me a lot of hope.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Thanks for the report....

I hope the Clayton report is true. That's my biggest disappointment so far Clayton not ready to go.

I would take this:

Sims Walker
    Clayton
    Amendola
    Gibson
    Pettis
    Salas

I think Avery is done and so is the DX project... can't make it if they can't get and stay healthy

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Really pissed about Avery IF he truly was limping around like you say. I wonder what the hell the deal is with his hamstring and why noone is really speaking on it. What's the prognosis on him being able to play? Avery was my x-factor this year.

DX I held out hope for but all i keep hearing is how he's dragging the leg and basically playing through pain. What can you do with that?
    Let's see how he looks in the game tonight..

Looking like we're going to be drafting a receiver high next year if noone steps up to be significant for us.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    ............Looking like we're going to be drafting a receiver high next year if noone steps up to be significant for us.
    Way to early to guess like this base on a very very big intermediate frequency or supposition.

The RAMs could very well have a huge hole develop at another position over the 'course of the coming season'.

But I hear you..............I just can't go there.

yet.
    Semper Fi!