Thread: Camp report ..

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Camp report ..

From another forum
    By Playmaker

After a one week sabatical from Rams Camp, yours truly made his trumphant return today. The second I walked in Billy Devaney spotted me and said "we were wondering where you have been, we missed you. The team hasn't been the same without you." Kevin Demoff came up and said "Playmaker, we need you on the field right now. Sam Bradford just isn't working out for us." He had a 100 million dollar contract and I signed it, went out on the field, touched Donnie Avery's Hamstring and he was healed. Then I touched Mike Sims-Walkers groin and it was healed.....although a very awkward moment. Then I threw Lance Kendricks a 100 yard TD pass (in the air).....O.K., none of this really happened.

But I did get my 6th St.Louis Rams Free Beverage Koozy.

First off, the weather was absolutely beautiful. Plenty of cloud cover, temps in the low 80's, cool breeze, and little to no humidity.

The Rams come out in shells and shorts. Rams new LB Ben Leber is sporting the #59 and is on the field. Rams released UDFA QB Taylor Potts and season tickets sales plummeted......o.k., I really didn't even notice until somebody told me.

Our injured players are.....

#10 WR Mike Sims-Walker (Groin) DNP
    #15 WR Dominique Curry (Hand) DNP
    #17 WR Donnie Avery (Hamstring) DNP

#24 CB Ron Bartell (Thigh) DNP
    #25 CB Marquis Johnson (Knee) PUP

#34 RB Jerious Norwood (Undisclosed) DNP

#48 TE Fendi Onobun (Groin) DNP

#64 OG Jacob Bell (Leg?) Limited

Back on the field today were WR #87 Greg Salas, #86 TE Michael Hoomananui, #92 DE Eugene Sims, #93 DT Jermelle Cudjo, and #55 MLB James Laurinaitis.

Something that has not been reported is former Miami Dolphins and New York Giants CB Sam Madison is Interning as a special DB's Coach (or something to that effect)

I will start with something unpopular but it needs to be said. Sam Bradford is struggling with accuracy and reads. He is slow through his progressions and has receivers wide open at times but does not get the ball to them. I blame a little of this on the new system and his uncomfortableness in it. But part of it is he just needs to get through his progressions faster. He was struggling with his reads and accuracy again today.

#11 WR Brandon Gibson struggled today. Three drops that I counted. He looked visibly frustrated out there.

#83 WR Austin Pettis on the other hand had a very good day. Lots of catches, but very little separation from DB's.

#64 OG Jacob Bell walked off with the injured players towards the trainers area wearing a protective sleeve on his left leg. But then during team (11-on-11's) #65 Hank Fraley lined up with the first team at OLG and Jacob Bell lined up with the 2nd team O-Line at OLG. Might be something to keep an eye on....

After playing with the first team defense for the first 10 practices of camp, #97 DT Darrell Scott is with the second team (with #90 Daniel Muir). #95 Justin Bannan has replaced Scott with the first team.

Rams LB's continue to struggle in pass coverage. Lots of wide open RB's and TE's today.

The CB position is very thin right now. #21 Justin King is running opposite #32 Bradley Fletcher right now. King was picked on a lot today. James Butler is still running as the 2nd team SS. Today they broke out some three safety looks with #27 Quintin Mikel and #43 Craig Dahl staying back and #20 Darian Stewart up at the LOS.

Quick Notes....

Still a lot of tipped balls today.

Concentration seemed to be fading today in the receiving corps.

#88 TE Lance Kendricks had the play of the day beating #31 CB Al Harris on a go route down the left sideline for a long TD today.

#31 CB Al Harris did get back at Sam Bradford though. Sam Bradford was late on a curl route to #87 Greg Salas and Al Harris jumped in front of it and would have had a pick 6.

Despite stiff competition behind them, #50 Bryan Kehl (WLB) and #53 Na'il Diggs (SLB) continue to line up with the first team defense at OLB.

A lot of stretching after practice today which is out of the norm. Probably trying to avoid those dreaded soft tissue injuries due to stiffness.

Today was the first day I really noticed a lot of players looking mentally tired.

Sounds like Al Harris is back .. thankfully ..

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Camp report ..

Why on earth is Kehl in there when we signed, Leber, Diles, and Poppinga?

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Why on earth is Kehl in there when we signed, Leber, Diles, and Poppinga?
    Dunno...maybe he's playing well?

Back to the original post; that's not the first time I've heard/read this. However, based on Rookie/Shurmer/no time with JD, etc., it doesn't concern me much. Rams have had what - two weeks of practice? I do agree that we haven't seen much long ball, but I don't see an accuracy issue.

I've also read that Spags doesn't show anybody anything at the practices accessible to the public, (per a security guard that one onlooker talked with). Maybe all the good stuff ids happening inside - (you know, where the championship banner is hanging).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Dunno...maybe he's playing well?

Back to the original post; that's not the first time I've heard/read this. However, based on Rookie/Shurmer/no time with JD, etc., it doesn't concern me much. Rams have had what - two weeks of practice? I do agree that we haven't seen much long ball, but I don't see an accuracy issue.

I've also read that Spags doesn't show anybody anything at the practices accessible to the public, (per a security guard that one onlooker talked with). Maybe all the good stuff ids happening inside - (you know, where the championship banner is hanging).
    I just don't understand if he is playing so good why we went out and spent money getting three guys and not using one of them as a starter. We could use more help at corner rather than waste money on OLB if Kehl is doing such a good job.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    I just don't understand if he is playing so good why we went out and spent money getting three guys and not using one of them as a starter. We could use more help at corner rather than waste money on OLB if Kehl is doing such a good job.
    Maybe the competition is making his play rise. Who cares though, this is a great problem to have.