AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Camp Reports II: Doomsayers and the Zero Sum Game

Continuing my bashing of the "camp reports," I must comment on the dangerous intersection that occurs when camp reporters meet doomsayers.

Here's how it works (and yes, I've seen examples of this on other boards recently):

Camp Reporter: "Dominique Byrd is ahead of Joel Klopfenstein on the depth chart!"
    Doomsayer: "Oh my God! Klop was selected ahead of Byrd and he's behind him!?! He must be a bust!"

Camp Reporter: "Tye Hill was beaten twice in practice by Torry Holt."
    Doomsayer: "See! Hill won't be able to match up with bigger, elite WRs."

Camp Reporter: "Right now, Incognito is starting and Terrell has been demoted to the bench."
    Doomsayer: "I knew Terrell was a bust. He's a fat slob!"

What the doomsayers don't seem to understand is that when a team practices or competes against itself it is a classic "zero sum game." For those not familiar with the term, that means that every success or gain by one player is necessarily a failure or loss for another.

Of course, the doomsayers never see the positive side:

Maybe the reason Byrd is ahead of Klop is because he's better than expected, not that Klop is worse than expected.

Maybe Hill is being beaten by Holt because Holt is one of the top 5 WRs in the league, not because Hill is a bad pick (after all, Holt has beaten every CB in the league by now).

Maybe the reason Terrell is behind Incognito is because Cog, now healthy, is just a better player.

You don't even have to be that optimistic. Just see both sides. If a DB intercepts a Bulger pass, its not just a mistake by the QB. Its also a good thing, because the interception was by a Ram player. If Jackson breaks a long run, its not just a failing of the run defense. Its also a good thing, because the run is by a Ram player.

When the Rams start playing other teams, performance by individuals becomes more notable (though, even then, if the games are preseason, they don't mean that much).

When its Ram vs. Ram, though, its just a zero sum game.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Camp Reports II: Doomsayers and the Zero Sum Game

Incognito was a third round pick. Terrell a fourth round pick. Thus, incognito should be ahead of terrell or richie the I would be the bust! Good post Av, never understimate the ability of people to overeact to every little tidbit of misinformation, hearsay, speculation and innuendo.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

If Jackson is breaking big runs on a regular basis, Hill get's beat deep by linemen or Holt and Bruce have to tackle more guys than Ray Lewis then we have a problem.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

A few more I've heard.....

Report: Bartell is moving to Safety
    Doom: Bartell can't play corner!

Report: The interior D-line is stopping the run.
    Doom: The interior O-line can't open a hole.

Report: The OLBs are shutting off outside lanes.
    Doom: SJ can't get outside.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7
    If Jackson is breaking big runs on a regular basis, Hill get's beat deep by linemen or Holt and Bruce have to tackle more guys than Ray Lewis then we have a problem.
    I'd agree that if Hill can't cover Andy McCollum or if Holt and Bruce are our leading tacklers, that would be problematic.

Or... it could mean that Andy will be the heaviest WR in the Pro Bowl and Bruce and Holt will become two-way players!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Hill can't cover McCollum, this is a huge problem ! If you said Timmerman I would understand. Afterall he has cut back on his " donut " intake.

From a fantasy point of view, can't wait for Bulger to start kickin' field goals and extra points.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I'm just looking forward to next weeks game. It will be nice to see for myself what kind of talent we have amassed.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey