Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Can Bulger Overcome One Record To Set Another?

By VanRam on May 13, 2009 8:59 AM CDT

St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger wants to be remembered for something other than getting sacked.

Marc Buler will soon have his name in the record books. Given the divided feelings among Rams fans about Marc Bulger, that statement will evoke a variety of ideas as to just what that record(s) might be. Fortunately, it's a record that will remind everyone of what a solid QB Marc Bulger has been for the Rams, his struggles over the last two seasons aside. This season, barring an extended absence, Rams QB Marc Bulger will become the franchise's all-time leader in passing yards.

Name Games Yards Comp/Att Comp %
    Jim Everett 107 23758 1847/3277 56.4
    Roman Gabriel 130 22223 1705/3313 51.5
    Marc Bulger 87 21345 1829/2924 62.6

Bulger needs just 2413 more passing yards to become the team's all-time leader in that department. Last season, not exactly a memorable one, Bulger passed for 2720 yards in 15 games. In 12 games the season before, he passed for 2392 yards. Hopefully, Bulger's name being etched into the team record book coincides with a season where he regains his mojo, making the record a sweeter memory. A seriously reworked offensive helps in that regard.

I included completion percentage because I think it underscores the point that Bulger didn't just fluke his way into the team's record book because of longevity. His accuracy is his best weapon, and, of course, if he were a bad QB longevity wouldn't be a factor anyway. Bulger has the second best completion percentage of any regular (i.e. not a backup) Rams QB. Only Kurt Warner tops him in that department with a 66.4% line.

All of this is especially impressive when you consider that Bulger DOES hold another, more dubious team record: sacks. Marc Bulger has been sacked 240 times in his 87 games. The next closest is Everett, who was sacked 186 times. (Still, nothing compares to Tony Banks getting sacked 132 times in just 44 games with the Rams). The Rams are counting on Bulger to overcome that record.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Can Bulger Overcome One Record To Set Another?

Congratulations Marc Bulger! I never even noticed how quickly he was creeping up on the record. He should pass it next season, and as much as we've been mad with him and his play. He's been a fantastic Quarterback for us, and hopefully will continue you that next season!

Good Luck Marc!
    RamsFan16

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Hopefully, Bulger's name being etched into the team record book coincides with a season where he regains his mojo, making the record a sweeter memory. A seriously reworked offensive helps in that regard.
    Couldn't have said it better myself! Looking forward to Marc's record setting season being one of success and new beginnings for the Rams!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Getting the record for passing yards would be great, but I'm hoping he doesn't add too much to the "other" record. If he can manage that with help from the guys up front, everything else will take care of itself. We know what Bulger can do when given a fighting chance.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Bulger is one of those guys who,if I saw him eating in a restaurant, I'd unhesitatingly buy his dinner. Maybe wait till he was done & indulge myself in a quick handshake & eye2eye heartfelt thanks or just leave a note, thanking him for his remarkable stoicism as The GSOT collapsed around him.Quiet & classy, like the man himself.

I'm very excited that he has a real chance to regain his best form with a competent & balanced unit around him again.

schut39 is offline Registered User

This thread shows how great of a quarterback Bulger can actually be with a good offensive line and weapons around him. I'm really excited for him this season.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I think he can re-turn to his old form, this will be a challenge with another O to learn and young WR's.
    :ramlogo:

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

the only stat im concerned with is Wins....the stat about being our leading passer in the yards category is as meaningful as Little being our so called leading sacker with 81 ...neither have been the best weve ever had at their respective positions... IMO.

A-Web is offline Registered User

To go off of what was written (all of the above <for the most part>), this is definitely an encouraging topic thread, as apparantly there is more support for Bulger than was being shown before.

People wanted to trade him for Cutler, people wanted to release him, people wanted to draft Mark Sanchez, people wanted to drop Bulger like a bad habit. Now, at this point in time, it seems like the majority of everyone here at ClanRam are behind Bulger for the upcoming season.

It is a good position to be in, being down so much. There aren't alot of ways to be disappointed more, but there is the possibility for greatness. Especially with the right additions and leadership. Let's see where this year takes us, and hopefully, that isn't the only record to be broken with this group of guys.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i support Bulger as he`s a Ram and until someone takes his starting spot he`ll keep getting my support ....just not into individual career stats..as i think they can often be mis-leading with it being a team sport and with different players having different supporting casts,different schemes etc..

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I'm not a Bulger guy. He just doesn't do it for me and hasn't been doing it for this team much either. However I always like to start the season with a clean slate and make an effort to grind down the chip on my shoulder.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The only knock I have with Bulger has been his lack of dynamic leadership on and off the field. And it is a serious weakness--taking for example Brett Favre who is perhaps the most notable personality on the field, his linemen play harder at keeping the defence from getting to him.

The solution isn't to get rid of Bulger, but get a leader on the line to provide that extra motivation to protect any QB in the back field.

However, noting how many times Bulger has been planted, he still racks up yards--thats talant. Most teams are desperate for that kinda talent. Figure this...

If the Rams could get Micheal, Vick on the team would you as a Ram fan want him? I hope not, but its likely some talent starved team might take Vick. More to the point if the Rams cut Bulger...how long would Bulger be unemployeed? My guess just long enough to pick and choose the best offer.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

i always liked Bulger, he was always my quarterback, but i also like Warner too. Although Warner helped us win the Superbowl, Marc Bulger has been through the bad and the ugly, he couldve just opted to be traded, like any other big name star. But he never did, he always stayed a Ram.

for that i respect him. It is true that i think his leadership, needs to get way more back bone, kind of like a Peyton Manning, or a Farve, but maybe one day he will realise, hey this is going to me my squad too. Time to take up the role, and get everyone Energized. Although knowing his personality, it probrably wont happen. As I said Before the Stats don't lie. and his stats are really good considering his O-line Chemistry, looking like a disaster.

That being said i have always been a man of Optimisim, and this is the course of my life. so i Say this unto you my friends. Never say Never.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -05-18-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Yardage record aside, I'd like to know where he ranks on the INT per pass list. The sacked per game list, and most importantly, the TD per dollar earned list.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -05-18-2009 at 10:24 PM.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    I'm not a Bulger guy. He just doesn't do it for me and hasn't been doing it for this team much either. However I always like to start the season with a clean slate and make an effort to grind down the chip on my shoulder.
    starting with a new avatar, "Bulger for prez" ???????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast