MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Can Gus take it to the Falcons?

Poor old Gus has probably beaten himself up pretty good for a few days this past week, but he's seen alot in his years in the NFL and hopefully can let go of last week's performance and atone for it this Sunday against the dirty birds. At least he will have a week of practice under his belt with the "ones" which should help alot along with kniowing he is going to be starting. Do you suppose he and Andy might have taken a few extra reps involving the snap exchange? Let's hope so.

When the Rams signed Gus I was extremely happy as it was the first time in a while that the Rams had a legitimate backup. He played very well for Scott in Miiami, and of course was familiar with his system and could serve as mentor to Marc until he was up to speed. Also there were no distractions as to who would be the #1 guy. So all in all things were looking rosy ... Fast forward to this year with the O-line debacle, the trade of Fitz, and Gus's last performance, and things no longer appear so rosy.

However, I believe that Gus is capable of playing well and leading us to a win this week.(And no, I am not going to be nonsensical and guarantee a win). Linehan is very familiar with Frerotte's strengths and weaknesses and very much needs to find some redemption with regards to his play calling. I think he will this week and thereby surprise us.

A few things that should help contribute to a win:

1) Steussie will have had a week of practice with the starters on the O-line so his timing should be better, affording Gus a bit more protection. Hopefully Linny will start Brandon Gorin at RT as well.

2) Gus will have had the opportunity to hone his timing with the first team receivers all week which should help his badly bruised confidence.

3) Linehan needed to go back to the drawing board and come up with some fresh new tweaks particularly in red zone and goal line situations. Let us hope he has.

$) Our defense has been pllaying well enough to hold up their end and likely will continue to do so even with the loss of Leonard and Tinoisamoa. In fact the D may well score this week as Joey Harrington has thrown only seven TD passes all year balanced out quite nicely with 7 INTs. Byron Leftwich (who unfortunately is questionable for tomorrows game) has thrown all of 1 TD with 2 INTs.

Feel free anyone to add to the list .. or detract if you wish ...

GO RAMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by MauiRam; -12-01-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Can Gus take it to the Falcons?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Hopefully Linny will start Brandon Gorin at RT as well.
    Ladies, and Gentlemen; the sad state of affairs that is the Rams OL.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Gus has enough experience, but does he have enough skill left to be able to win tomorrow? I'm not sure. With a patchwork line(as always) not giving the best of time back there, I fear that it could be Joey's day tomorrow. I'd say the odds are around a coin flip.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I fear that it could be Joey's day tomorrow. I'd say the odds are around a coin flip.
    Not if Joey's running for his life .. we may not have Little or Hall, but we've got Spoon and others .. let's hope Haslett turns the dogs loose early and gets him rattled from the get go. Nothing like a couple of blind side hits early to ruffle Joey's feathers ...

bigredman is offline Registered User

With Gus taking all of the snaps in practice this week, we should see some improvement regarding his decision making on the field. Nevertheless, the offensive line remains a shambles, and unless Jackson can remain healthy to keep the pressure off, it could be a long day for Gus. That said...I believe the Rams should handedly defeat the Faulkens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Gus came in last week, after Buger went down and looked sharp starting out. He went 8 for 8 passing and threw a touchdown. However, just like the joke about the comparision between a dollar bill, the Rams couldn't get 4 quarters out of Gus. Hopefully, after a week of practicing with the "ones", Gus can be $ MONEY $, this Sunday, and cash in a win for the Rams.

"IN GUS WE TRUST!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]