throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Can Josh McDaniels do for Donnie Avery what he did for Brandon Lloyd?

So many of us are looking for a true number one WR, but have we over looked Avery and what Josh could do with him? WR Brandon Lloyd became a household name after being mostly forgotten for seven seasons, but with Josh McDaniels at the helm, he had a break out year!

Avery has not even come close to what we want as a number one WR, but have we given up one him a bit too soon. Lloyd and Avery are very similar in how they play and injuries they have faced early on in their careers. Avery is that WR that can go deep lets not forget that, he is the WR that can stretch the field. I for one can't wait to see what Bradford to Avery looks like in the new look Josh McDaniels Rams offence. So don't for a minute that Avery will have no impact on the Rams!!!!

He will!

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Re: Can Josh McDaniels do for Donnie Avery what he did for Brandon Lloyd?

I think the bigger question here is, Can Avery avoid the injuries that have hampered his career to this point?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

No. Avery isn't Brandon Lloyd, and I seriously doubt he can stay on the field long enough to ever become a good NFL WR. ...in fact, I doubt he'll be wearing a Rams uniform next year. The guy's made of glass.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

But was Brandon Lloyd any good before last year? I'm not so sure. Let's take a look at his two best years excluding last year's breakout under McDaniels...

2004: 43 rec, 565 yards, 6 TD's (Team - 2-14)
    2005: 48 rec, 733 yards, 5 TD's (Team - 4-12)
    Totals: 91 rec, 1298 yards, 11 TD's (14.2 YPC)

Let's compare that to Avery's two seasons.

2008: 53 rec, 647 yards, 3 TD's (Team - 2-14)
    2009: 47 rec, 589 yards, 5 TD's (Team - 1-15)
    Totals: 100 rec, 1236 yards, 8 TD's (12.4 YPC)

Veeeeery similar. Statistically, the two seem to be similar. Both have had injury problems. Both are comparable in terms of their abilities and size. I see no reason why Avery can't have the kind of year Lloyd had. The question (aside from injuries) is whether Avery will be buried too deep in the depth chart to see enough playing time to produce.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Im on the fence about this for two reasons.1 im not sure if Avery will be able to stay healthy for a full season.2 Brandon Lloyd while he did have a very low key career until he came to Denver and hooked up with MCD did show bright spots through out the years.With San Fran even with no proven Qb he made spectacular catches one after another.Even though he didnt make alot of receptions a good amount were difficult and or long plays.SO he showed flashes but was on bad teams and not in the greatest position to shine.Avery on the other hand hasnt demonstrated any skills that set him apart he was just a product of being the #1 on a terrible team for the past 3 years prior to this.Anyone can produce the #'s he did because the simple fact was he was our only WR option that was anything worth passing to lol.So im not sure if MCD will have that affect on Avery i think Lloyd is just better and he needed some depth chart love and molding to really prove what he can do.I hope MCD can get Avery to produce but i wont hold my breathe.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It certainly is a fair question- one which we hope can be answered with a resounding "yes". McDaniels distinguished himself by getting guys like Matt Cassel, Brandon Lloyd and Kyle Orton to be productive, so it certainly is reasonable to think the same might be possible with Donnie Avery.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but it would seem to me that with the uncertainty of the Rams' receiving corps, enough has been invested in Avery to give him an honest shot this season despite past disappointments- turn the page, so to speak. With that said, however, this is a HUGE year for him in which he must prove himself and show he can stay on the field. There comes a point in time when the word "potential" has negative connotations. And we're fast approaching that time with Avery, from whom much more was expected.

He will be in a dogfight just to make this team, but I think he will be given every opportunity in what will most surely be a "last hurrah" in 2011.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Avery isn't Brandon Lloyd
    Before last season, Brandon Lloyd wasn't Brandon Lloyd either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bruce4life is offline Registered User

And Avery looked great In this last years preseason too

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Don't forget that Avery has dealt with QB issues of his own in his short tenure here. It's not like Bulger was lighting it up in 2008, and we all know the 2009 QB shuffle. I think that this year will be the first where we'll get to see what Avery's really capable of.

richtree is offline Registered User

I really think if Avery is healthy he is a good starting WR in the league.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there is any question that the right system can elevate players. I wouldn't count out Avery just yet.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'm unsure as to why so many expect Avery to immediately get the boot. It's not as if we have a group of competent receivers lined up around the block or something. It's pretty safe to say we have one of the worst groups of receivers in the league, and we're in no hurry to dump one of the best ones on our squad.

Injuries like the one he sustained in the preseason are unfortunately, the nature of the business, and I doubt the FO is holding it against him. He should get a fair shot to compete for a spot this year, just like every other receiver under contract.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I think Avery is a different type of WR than Lloyd is. Lloyd has shown the athleticism to go up and make acrobatic catches. Avery is more of a burner in the mold of Eddie Royal on the Broncos with Lloyd. That said I am interested to see what Mcdaniels does with Avery and take advantage of his speed down field.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I am very confident in Avery being impressive next season. He really only has 2 problems. 1) He just cannot stay healthy. If he does, he will certainly be a factor with the speed he has. 2) He needs to improve his concentration. He has dropped some easier passes which definently will not be accepted.

All in all, I think he will do great next season. I have a lot of hope in the kid.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't see any reason why Avery can't become a solid receiver. He has the ability and has shown flashes of brilliance, but as most have noted, it's going to come down to staying healthy. Brittle, made of glass, bad luck, whatever the situation, Avery can't afford another injury any time soon or he'll be going the way of Adam Carriker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast