rNemesis is offline Registered User

Can our RAMS rise back to greatness once again?

This article is what I always think about, and maybe similar to what Bryan Burwell wrote about in a previous thread called " RAMS HAVE CHANCE TO DEFINE SEASON".. I really loved that article and it reminded me of what I want to talk about, and that is the rise of a team to greatness/elite status, whether it be once again, or finally for the first time.

Our Rams have been through a lot of ups and downs. Historically, we have been both good and bad; that is, we've been right there at the top and right there at the bottom at any given year. We've had the championship in cleveland in the 50's or 60's or so and went to the bowl against the steelers in the late 70's, went to the NFC championship game against the bears in 85, the eagles in 2001, and a host of other great playoff games. And of course the 90's were fairly bad until 99. But those were all different teams with different identities.

Lets look at the GSOT. Now this was arguably the best RAMS team to EVER take the football field, with the closest second probably being that "FEARSOME FOURSOME" rams team, with Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, etc. The GSOT offense consisted of Kurt Warner at QB ( due to Trent Green's season ending injury), Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Ricky Proehl, and Marshall Faulk. On the defensive side of the ball, they had Grant Wistrom, London Fletcher, Aeneas Williams, etc. We had a team that was offensively unstoppable and defensively capable of getting stops and/or turnovers. Always an opportunistic defense. This was also what I would have called ELITE STATUS in the NFL: winning in the NFL alot and consistently. But, as time passed, bad decision making, poor drafting and personnel decisions, and retirement pushed this team into the abyss for about three years ( 2007-2009), which there was no excuse for.

There were other ELITE teams, but I am not sure who to call because at that time most were only GOOD themselves, not as GREAT as what they are now. Teams like the Eagles, Colts, Falcons, Seahawks, Chiefs, Raiders, Ravens, and Buccaneers were all examples of good teams, but I really dont think none were as good overall as the Rams (GSOT) were. Some have stayed perenially good, others have fallen a bit, some have been up and down. But no one has been as bad as the Rams have been through a three year period.

We have seen the RAMS as bad as they were for that three year period. And we have seen the GSOT and how GREAT they were. NOW, we are in a rebuilding mode since and have gotten a lot to show for it; obviously not GREAT yet, but decent and respectable, which is all you can ask for when you go 6-42 over three seasons. My point is this. When do you think we can reach that ELITE status again and roam the NFL earth beating foes as we try to climb that mountain to the top?

My feeling is, it shouldnt take long at all considering where we at. We've got a nice QB, good MLB, good corner and safety, good DE, and good OL. We have done, at least so far, what it takes to get this team back to not only respectability, but ELITE status as well. What are we lacking that is stopping us from being GREAT? I know where we are lacking, I think we all do by now: OLB is mediocre at best, Corners are not great outside of maybe bartell and murphy, safety play is not great without ATOGWE, DL is young and upcoming with veteran presence but no one else really scares offenses, backup RB, and a go to guy in a WR, someone like say a Dwayne Bowe or Reggie Wayne or Torry Holt, just to name examples.

I think Spags, the coaches and the FO have done a terrific job with the personnel they have. They will continue to make the right decisions for this football team and so far they have. We also have this upcoming draft, FA in the offseason, and other teams decline. I like where we're at right now and I KNOW, not think, we are headed in the right direction. Lets not forget that THIS SEASON is still not even over yet!!!

I will continue to be a RAMS fan for LIFE, I AM NOT SWITCHING!! Teams go through seasons after seasons and experience joys and pain too. But yet a new season is upon you the next year every year, a new chance to be good again, a chance to improve. I have seen my Rams go through a lot. And this is a lot. The losing was a lot. But this is a different RAMS team now, with a different identity. We are not looking to be the GSOT again, although it COULD happen, who knows, but that is NOT our focus. We will establish the run and pass when we have to just as beautifully. What is the identity of this team moving forward?

I am going to leave you guys with some burning opinions I have whenever we win or lose. When we win, I feel like we take one step closer to that mountain top. When we lose, I feel like we are tumbling back to earth with our bumps and bruises. Lets look at it this way: In the three losing seasons we have had, We have lost to every team in the NFL. Which means we were the doormat of the NFL. But no longer!! I feel like whenever we win, we put THAT team tumbling down to earth; its just such a weird feeling guys that Im trying to type but I cant seem to put into words but IM SURE you guys know what Im talking about right?

I have that feeling right now. The feeling of your team getting back to ELITE status around the league, the feeling of your team playing ANY team and having a chance to win. We are going to play all of these teams again that we lost to before. Its just that when we play them, they're either advancing themselves or declining. now when next year comes around, we will be better! And what makes it so interesting is, you know youre a legit fan so your friends and coworkers respect you ( even though they made a mockery of you too LOL) because you stay true to your team.

Can you guys share how you feel right now? I wanna share it but I cant seem to put it into words, thats how I ended up with this long post.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Can our RAMS rise back to greatness once again?

I couldn't agree more.. I feel the exact same way. I think if we follow what I am about to type up for our offseason we will probably have somewhere near 11 wins next season.

FA:

OLB, Chad Greenway. This guy has been playing solid football this year and becomes a free agent next year. If we added him, and he played next to James Laurinaitis and Na'ill Diggs, we would have an amazing linebacker core.

OG, Carl Nicks. This guy is a mauler and the Saints won't be able to afford to keep him. We are struggling at guard because Goldberg cannot hold his own. Snatching this guy up solidifies our offensive line and opens up some serious holes for Steven Jackson.

DRAFT:

Round 1: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
    Round 2: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
    Round 3: DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma

This would be a fantastic draft. First off, Sam has chemistry with two of those guys...which is fantastic. Also, imagine the best defensive end in the NCAA playing across from Chris Long? That defensive line would be a terror.

If we do this in the offseason, I can't see us finishing anywhere but first in our division.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I couldn't agree more.. I feel the exact same way. I think if we follow what I am about to type up for our offseason we will probably have somewhere near 11 wins next season.

FA:

OLB, Chad Greenway. This guy has been playing solid football this year and becomes a free agent next year. If we added him, and he played next to James Laurinaitis and Na'ill Diggs, we would have an amazing linebacker core.

OG, Carl Nicks. This guy is a mauler and the Saints won't be able to afford to keep him. We are struggling at guard because Goldberg cannot hold his own. Snatching this guy up solidifies our offensive line and opens up some serious holes for Steven Jackson.

DRAFT:

Round 1: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
    Round 2: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
    Round 3: DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma

This would be a fantastic draft. First off, Sam has chemistry with two of those guys...which is fantastic. Also, imagine the best defensive end in the NCAA playing across from Chris Long? That defensive line would be a terror.

If we do this in the offseason, I can't see us finishing anywhere but first in our division.
    The only thing I disagree with is taking the reciever in the 2nd round. I think that is our most glaring need right now. We need a solid number one reciever.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rampingitup View Post
    The only thing I disagree with is taking the reciever in the 2nd round. I think that is our most glaring need right now. We need a solid number one reciever.
    I'd be all up for taking one in the first round, but we don't get a lot out of it. I mean if we make the playoffs we will be picking near 22 I believe... which would possibly leave us with either Julio Jones, Jonathon Baldwin or any other choices (Michael Floyd, Leonard Hankerson). I don't think its worth it, although I really do like Jonathon Baldwin. I think Broyles has just as great potential, but we also get a stud defensive end out of the deal. If we could get our hands on A.J Green in the first round then hell yea lets take him, but there is no way he lasts.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'd be all up for taking one in the first round, but we don't get a lot out of it. I mean if we make the playoffs we will be picking near 22 I believe... which would possibly leave us with either Julio Jones, Jonathon Baldwin or any other choices (Michael Floyd, Leonard Hankerson). I don't think its worth it, although I really do like Jonathon Baldwin. I think Broyles has just as great potential, but we also get a stud defensive end out of the deal. If we could get our hands on A.J Green in the first round then hell yea lets take him, but there is no way he lasts.
    I wouldn't count on Baldwin with those questionable hands. Julio Jones will most likely get picked by the Redskins seeing that they're more than likely to be in the Top 15. I think Hankerson is the best choice in the 2nd round seeing that he doesn't get injured and with Michael Floyd's history of that, might drop him down a bit. If the Panthers, Bills or anyone picking on the Top 5 don't get A.J. Green and that Dallas is picking in the top 10 of the draft (ahead of Cleveland), I'd say trade 2 or 3 of our picks and maybe another high pick next year so we can acquire A.J. Green.

Though this is an idealistic dream come true for the offense, our secondary is suspect to falter if we don't make proper adjustments to them during the offseason. Depending on how we manage the free-agent market this coming offseason, I wouldn't count on drafting Green as a red hot priority until we at least make progress in fixing that secondary.