View Poll Results: Can the Rams compete for the NFC West title in 2012?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely. They have enough talent to compete with their division rivals.

11 14.86%
  • Possibly. A lot of young players have to develop quickly, but it could happen.

30 40.54%
  • Unlikely. The talent is improving, but it will take at least a year to come together.

21 28.38%
  • Longshot. If 1999 told us anything, its that you never know, but...

2 2.70%
  • No. They need one more offseason to add the right pieces.

9 12.16%
  • No. I don't see any substantial improvement from 2011.

1 1.35%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can the Rams compete for the NFC West title in 2012?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Can the Rams compete for the NFC West title in 2012?

Hand on heart, I honestly believe the Rams are capable of being in the mix week 17. I know its a longshot, but with Sam Bradford as our QB and an improved defense. We should be in a lot of games.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Can the Rams compete in the NFCW? Yes, of course. Absolutely. It'd be silly to think otherwise.

The 2011 Texans, 2011 Broncos, 2011 whiners, 2010 Steelers, 2010 Seahawks, 2010 Bears, 2010 Chiefs, 2009 Bengals, 2009 Cowboys, 2009 Saints, 2008 Dolphins, 2008 Titans, 2008 Panthers, 2007 Bucaneers, 2006 Ravens, 2006 Chargers, 2006 Eagles, 2006 Saints, 2005 Giants, 2005 Bears, 2005 Panthers, 2004 Steelers, 2004 Chargers, 2004 Falcons, 2003 Ravens, 2003 Chiefs, 2003 Panthers, 2002 Jets, 2002 Titans, & 2002 Bucaneers ALL won their division a year after finishing either 3rd or 4th in their division the previous year.

In the past decade, 30 of the 80 division winners were coming off a season in which they finished in the bottom half of their division.

Nearly 40% of the winners come off crap seasons.............but some don't think the Rams can even compete?!?!

Man, have we become cynical or what?
    FestusRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think its possible. Certainly, for it to happen, the Rams will have to (1) stay healthy, (2) have 2 or 3 players on the All-Rookie Team, and (3) get a few breaks along the way.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Every year a team outperforms and goes from an 8-8 type performance to the playoffs. The Bengals and 9ers are that team this year. They'll return to their true talent level. In 2011 the 9ers had a historic +- ratio on takeaways. If they think that's going to continue, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell them.

The Rams need a lot of things to go their way but they have a solid running game, solid QB and the defense appears to be greatly improved. They need about 4 players to develop. OT (Saffold and Smith need to bounce back to 2010 levels), WLB needs to come out of nowhere, two young WRs need to become starters and Kendricks needs to do what he showed in college.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -05-08-2012 at 12:47 PM.

mh-i is offline Registered User

It's still too early because I don't believe we're done adding players. Based on what we have today? No. We're another off season or two away. Offensive line, tight end, still need a #1 WR, OLB is paper thin and safeties. We are improved but just not nearly enough. I think it's going to be an uphill battle to get to .500.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Can the Rams compete in the NFCW? Yes, of course. Absolutely. It'd be silly to think otherwise.

The 2011 Texans, 2011 Broncos, 2011 whiners, 2010 Steelers, 2010 Seahawks, 2010 Bears, 2010 Chiefs, 2009 Bengals, 2009 Cowboys, 2009 Saints, 2008 Dolphins, 2008 Titans, 2008 Panthers, 2007 Bucaneers, 2006 Ravens, 2006 Chargers, 2006 Eagles, 2006 Saints, 2005 Giants, 2005 Bears, 2005 Panthers, 2004 Steelers, 2004 Chargers, 2004 Falcons, 2003 Ravens, 2003 Chiefs, 2003 Panthers, 2002 Jets, 2002 Titans, & 2002 Bucaneers ALL won their division a year after finishing either 3rd or 4th in their division the previous year.

In the past decade, 30 of the 80 division winners were coming off a season in which they finished in the bottom half of their division.

Nearly 40% of the winners come off crap seasons.............but some don't think the Rams can even compete?!?!

Man, have we become cynical or what?
    To answer your last question...yes. Yes we have. But years of absolutely horrific play has created that monster.

My response (no) is based on what I know now. The team as it is now. ...and I know this.

The Rams are low on talent and very thin on the ol' depth chart. 10 wins in three season pretty much backs that up. The 2012 draft was a beginning to correct that, and I believe they made great strides in the first draft (new staff) but it's just the beginning to a major resurrection. So, they should be improved just by that alone.

Second, the freakin' injuries. What do the Rams have to do to avoid having a dozen or more players ending up on IR year after year? It happens to all teams, but the Rams seemed to have mastered it. IF they stay healthy, that should be an automatic improvement of at least a game or two.

However, that all being said, the Rams were NOT competitive last year. Most games were over by halftime or the third quarter. That's not a competitive team. They won 2 games after all that. Two lousy games! To think that they're going to win more than 10 games, which is what I think it will require to win the division (at least) is a stretch by even the most devoted Rams fan. Do I want them to compete and be in the division title talk late in the season? Of course I do. But if you hold a gun to my head and ask; "will the Rams compete for the division title this season", I'll have to say with all honestly, and taking the Blue and Gold colored glasses off, "no, I do not expect that". Too many seasons of hope turned to frustration have made me a bit cynical, unfortunately. I'm not from Missouri, but I'm a "show-me" guy, I guess you could say. They've made they right moves this year, but will it translate to wins? Show me.

Although the Cards and Hawks are not world beaters, they beat the Rams last year and they've improved in the offseason as well, and the Whiners are a strong defensive team which has made improvements on offense. I do not see the Rams having a winning inter-divisional record and I can't see a team competing for a division if they can't win in the division. Again, as they are today. Could some major injuries or other changes in personnel (to the Rams and/or our divisional opponents) alter the Rams chances? Sure. But that's a big IF and I don't bet on "IF's". And as you pointed out Hub, the Rams have a 40% chance, based on historical data, that they compete for the division, which also means that they have a 60% chance that they DO NOT win the division. I would have to say that leans towards the "no" side. And that data that you put together groups together teams that had a "crap" season. The definition of a "crap" season could have been 6-10 or 7-9. Not 2-14. How many of those teams came back from a 2-14 season? Without looking up the data, I doubt many of them.

So, as I said before, I answered the poll "no", as a betting man, based on what I know today and not what I hope for tomorrow. Sure there is always a possibility that the Rams shock the world as they did in 1999 when they turned a 3 win season into a 13 win season, but this is NOT the '99 Rams. That team had far, far better talent, and one of the easiest schedules ever assembled. The stars aligned right for that team, and to think that's going to happen with this team, this year, is just wishful thinking.

I wish and hope that the 2012 Rams compete for the title, but I won't bet on it.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

I wish and hope that the 2012 Rams compete for the title, but I won't bet on it.
    The question was "Can they".

I wouldn't bet on them either, but that is answering the question of "Will they".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

I wouldn't bet on them either, but that is answering the question of "Will they".
    No, I do not believe they can. Not nearly enough talent, too thin, too many "if's".
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    No, I do not believe they can. Not nearly enough talent, too thin, too many "if's".
    Well we're just going to have to disagree on this one. Because of course they CAN. However, neither you nor I think they WILL.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I believe it's much more likely that they "can" win 6 games this season.

Nothing wrong with that either as this is Fisher's first year into the rebuild, you can tell he's pretty much doing everything he can and it's going to take a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by agrajag
    I believe it's much more likely that they "can" win 6 games this season.
    So they're not going to play the other 10?

Agrajag is offline Registered User

So they're not going to play the other 10?
    Oh, I'm sure they'll play the other 10

You can make the argument that conversely they can lose all 16 even though that's not likely to happen either.

I just don't share your optimism, but I am SO looking forward for the season. I do expect them to compete more and that's all I can ask for after last season.

You can make the argument that conversely they can lose all 16 even though that's not likely to happen either.
    No argument from me. They absolutely can go 0-16.
    I just don't share your optimism, but I am SO looking forward for the season.
    I too am looking forward to the season. But it's not optimism that I have, rather reality. This team CAN compete for the division. This team CAN win a super bowl. This team CAN go undefeated.

Now, in my opinion, this team WILL NOT compete for the division. This team WILL NOT win the super bowl. this team WILL NOT go undefeated.

But that's a whole separate question.

Yes, it's semantics, but it's not merely semantics. There's just too much parity in this league to write off an entire season before it begins. Any team CAN win any game any week.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Absolutely. A big part of how good the niners were last season was how well Alex Smith played. Does anyone actually think Smith will have 2 good seasons in a row? Consistency and Alex Smith are two things that just don't go together.

I see us competing for the division by the end of the season.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

do we even have a legit #1 WR? SJax is taking too much punishment, even if our defense improves drastically, defense isn't complete reason last year's failure. We need a formidable threat that can get us in the end zone. until we see a breakout game changing player we are at best mediocre. Sorry gotta break it to you guys.

stop trying to reference 1999. The pieces were in place and Marshall Faulk was our game changer. Trent Green came in with huge expectations. Kurt filled in when Green went down. Everything was there including schedule!!!
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -05-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast