View Poll Results: Can the Rams compete for the NFC West title in 2012?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely. They have enough talent to compete with their division rivals.

11 14.86%
  • Possibly. A lot of young players have to develop quickly, but it could happen.

30 40.54%
  • Unlikely. The talent is improving, but it will take at least a year to come together.

21 28.38%
  • Longshot. If 1999 told us anything, its that you never know, but...

2 2.70%
  • No. They need one more offseason to add the right pieces.

9 12.16%
  • No. I don't see any substantial improvement from 2011.

1 1.35%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can the Rams compete for the NFC West title in 2012?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can the Rams compete for the NFC West title in 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    do we even have a legit #1 WR?
    Given that two of our candidates for that role are rookies, I guess we'll find out this Fall.

We need a formidable threat that can get us in the end zone. until we see a breakout game changing player we are at best mediocre. Sorry gotta break it to you guys.
    We acquired Steve Smith, Brian Quick, Chris Givens and Isaiah Pead. Time will tell how much impact they have. But, sorry to break this to you... you don't know how that will play out any more than anyone else.

stop trying to reference 1999. The pieces were in place and Marshall Faulk was our game changer. Trent Green came in with huge expectations. Kurt filled in when Green went down. Everything was there including schedule!!!
    I think its hilarious how you buried Kurt "filling in" as if its a footnote. That was entirely unexpected, and the biggest single reason for the turnaround.

So, yes, its fine to reference 1999 to make the point that you never know what will happen.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Count me among the majority who answered possibly. I base this primarily on the fact that we have the best QB in the division, hands down. And SJax is one of the very best RB's in the NFL. We also have among the most talented MLB's and DE's in JLau and CLong. Now as for the rest of that selection, " a lot of young players will have to develop quickly", I agree but you already have the strong players I cited, plus above average talent likely to deliver on the O-Line and D-Line where we're talking veterans. So in truth I see it as much about the team coming together rather than simply draftees and UDFA's panning out. I also think our coaching staff will play a large role in this "possibility" too. I'm really excited to get this season started.

Go Rams!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Given that two of our candidates for that role are rookies, I guess we'll find out this Fall.

We acquired Steve Smith, Brian Quick, Chris Givens and Isaiah Pead. Time will tell how much impact they have. But, sorry to break this to you... you don't know how that will play out any more than anyone else.

I think its hilarious how you buried Kurt "filling in" as if its a footnote. That was entirely unexpected, and the biggest single reason for the turnaround.

So, yes, its fine to reference 1999 to make the point that you never know what will happen.
    wow I exist!
    macrammer likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

You didn't mention schedule 1999 schedule was not as tough as what we have coming in 2012!!! Also Vermeil was in his 3rd year. Marshall Faulk HOFer! Back to Kurt I was not footnoting him, had Trent not got hurt he would have led the Rams not Kurt. Kurt had seen success in the Arena league as well as NFL Europe, other than Bradford what do we have Feeley?

I more than anybody would love to eat me some crow, but I'm just not convinced that we are ready to take the division from the whiners even less compete in the winter. Until Bradford remains upright and somebody other than Amendola gets open we will be at best mediocre for now. Good night.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I voted unlikely. It is asking a lot for Fisher to win a division in his first year as coach with a team that is re-tooling yet again with a lot of young guys looking to learn a system. There are a lot of unknowns- will the receivers pan out? will the O-line be better than it was last season? will Bradford bounce back? will we stay healthy?

Stranger things have happened, and we've learned by now that teams can turn around in a relatively short period of time. I fully expect this team to be competitive on a game in game out basis and realistically hope we can hover around .500. But a lot of things must fall into place for us to even consider such a scenario as far as a division title is concerned. And I don't anticipate SF collapsing anytime soon.
    LA Rammer likes this.

what NJ said
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Consider the Rams play in a Soft division so I say its a toss-up:

Any one team is one or two injuries away from a disappointing season so there is the luck factor.

Then there is roaster issues...49whiners haven't addressed their issue at QB and hope to repeat last years success--putting the game in the hands of their defense and have their QB manage NOT loosing a game.

Seahawks--Don't see much improvement and have no idea what they are trying to achieve for a team. Perhaps there is something I am missing

Cards, QB issues--defense issues--simular problems to Rams with depth. They have play makers here and there but don't see anyone part of their team having a strength.

Start of pre-season will know more who really has a chance at the division

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Consider the Rams play in a Soft division so I say its a toss-up:

Any one team is one or two injuries away from a disappointing season so there is the luck factor.

Then there is roaster issues...49whiners haven't addressed their issue at QB and hope to repeat last years success--putting the game in the hands of their defense and have their QB manage NOT loosing a game.

Seahawks--Don't see much improvement and have no idea what they are trying to achieve for a team. Perhaps there is something I am missing

Cards, QB issues--defense issues--simular problems to Rams with depth. They have play makers here and there but don't see anyone part of their team having a strength.

Start of pre-season will know more who really has a chance at the division
    First of all... I'm still enterpreting this thread as; "do you think the Rams WILL compete for the division" because saying; "can they compete" would leave no room for debate. Of course any team can compete, because anything can happen during the course of a season. But I see the question as; "have the Rams done enough to close the gap and really have a chance at being in the playoff picture as the season winds down."

That being said, I wanted to chime in on how I see our division foes, and some things that I think are spot-on from this post. ...and here's the way I see it.

Seahawks - I think they've got the makings of a very good defense, and IF they've found a solution at QB, I think this is the team that will compete with the Whiners for the division, if anyone. They are going to be better this year.

Cardinals - I totally agree with the QB situation. They will be better IF they get some help from their new WR and Kolb earns his pay. But I don't see them being any better than our Rams.

Whiners - As much as I hate to say it, Alex Smith is finally playing the way many saw him playing when he was drafted. I see him opening it up and playing even better this year under Harbaugh and with all the new weapons. He is better than most give him credit for. He made some pretty impressive throws in the playoffs last year. This IS the team to beat and I could easily see another 11+ win season. Who else in this division will win 11 games? Answer; nobody. The only chance other teams have in the division is IF Smith goes down for a considerable amount of time, their back-up is NOT NFL ready and they would come back to the pack a bit because of that.

I believe the division is starting to become stronger but will still be considered a "soft" division. For one more year... 2013 things will really begin to change.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I believe a lot will depend Sam Bradford's ability to finish in close games. A more realistic prediction for this season would be an 8-8 finish. Probably the kind of record the Rams would have had last year, but for the lockout, and that whack job McDaniels offensive scheme.

mh-i is offline Registered User

It comes down to going from 2 wins to 12 or 13 wins in one season. I don't see the Orlando Pace, Trent Green/Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt type additions over the last few seasons that would inflate the current team to that 1999 comparrison. If we win 6 or 7 we should be thrilled for the future.

PS I do expect real big things out of the Rams defense in 2012. The offense will still be lagging.

SportsDude is offline Registered User

I think so. People seem quick to forget how impossible our schedule was last year. That plus our injury situation made us look a lot worse than we actually are

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.

Keenum is offline Registered User

This will be interesting, especially when you look at the other teams.

The Cardinals won 4 OT games last year. I hate to talk like this, but if the opposing teams had just one extra play in them in those games, the Cardinals are looking at 4-12 rather than 8-8 last year. I don't think AZ will make a huge jump this season, and what is dangerous for them is if the rest of the league got "just a little bit better" than they did this offseason. I still don't know if I trust Kolb as their main guy yet either.

Seattle is kind of a wildcard as well. They are absolutely loving Wilson from what I've heard, and we really don't know much about Flynn right now. Either way, you are looking at a first-year starter from them after closing the year looking much improved (even their final 3 losses were all by one score or less).

But I think the Niners will still be one of the top teams in the NFL. They were extremely close to making the Super Bowl, and I don't see them dropping off next year. They can actually be even better this year if Alex Smith continues to play well and that offense takes another step forward. These guys are the undisputed kings of the NFC West... for now.

The Rams are already better after getting a lot of guys back from the injured reserve, and I think the draft went very well. I am still concerned about the current lack of a "true No. 1 WR," but I fully expect the defense to take a major step forward, and if the O-line can play decent I expect the running game to be very good. I think it's enough to more than compete with Arizona and Seattle, but it's going to be a struggle if several of the younger guys don't develop quickly. As far as division games go, it's a good thing we don't play them until week 10 of the season... can't ask for any more time before playing your top division team than that as you develop the team.

So, I think it's very possible we can and will compete, but you also must remember the Niners are a very good football team, and it's going to take a very good football team to overtake them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123