Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can the Rams duplicate the *****' success in 2012?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Can the Rams duplicate the *****' success in 2012?

By Greg Gabriel
    National Football Post

A year ago, the San Francisco ***** were coming off a 6-10 record, hired Jim Harbaugh to be their new head coach and the team quickly turned around to come within a game of being in the Super Bowl. Many around the league felt that the San Francisco job was the best head coaching opportunity available last year because the team was loaded with good young players. They needed to create a new atmosphere and attitude for the players and get the quarterback situation straightened out. Harbaugh did a tremendous job restoring Alex Smithís confidence and turning his game around. A year ago he was considered a first round bust; today he looks like he can be an excellent quarterback for the ***** in the foreseeable future.

This January many of the same people who felt San Francisco was the best job available last year felt that St. Louis is in much the same situation. The roster is full of talented young players and they have a potentially excellent NFL quarterback in Sam Bradford. Hiring Jeff Fisher to be the head coach was an excellent start. Fisher has long been recognized as one of the better head coaches in the NFL. His teams consistently play hard and are extremely competitive. Another great hire was getting Gregg Williams away from New Orleans to be the new defensive coordinator. Williams is one of the few coordinators in the league that you donít want to go up against. He has one of the best pressure schemes in the NFL and consistently finds weaknesses in the offense to attack. That Fisher and Williams have a strong history together already makes the combination that much better.

Looking at the Rams roster, there is much to like. You have to have a quarterback to win in this league and with Bradford they have a player who has all the tools. In his rookie year in 2010 he started off playing excellent football and showed why he was the number one pick in the 2010 Draft. His play the last quarter of the season tailed off some but part of that can be attributed to the pressure of being a rookie in the NFL. Many including myself thought that the Rams were the team to beat in the NFC West in 2011. For whatever reason, the Rams and Bradfordís play fell off considerably in 2011. New offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimerís main job will be getting Bradford back on track. If Schottenheimer can get Bradfordís game in order, the Rams will always be in the hunt.

The offensive line has the potential to be excellent. They played great football in 2010 and I felt that left tackle Rodger Saffold was one of the best rookie linemen in the NFL. On the right side the Rams have former first round pick Jason Smith, who hasnít played to the level of where he was drafted. Finding out why will be a key but there should be no reason these two players canít be bookend tackles for the Rams for years to come. In center Jason Brown, the Rams have a big, strong and physical player to anchor the line.

Steven Jackson has had a number of carries and may be near the downside of his career but he still is a very formidable running back. He has size, speed and power and there is no reason Fisher canít get at least two more strong years from him. He ran for over 1,100 yards in 2011 along with 42 catches so the talent is still there.

Going into the 2011 Draft, the Rams were looking to add receivers and did so with the addition of Greg Salas and Austin Pettis. I have always felt that in most cases it takes a year for a receiver to adapt to the NFL so the Rams should see improvement from the two. Pettis first has to finish serving his league suspension, so while he can take part in training camp, he will miss some early season games. In Brandon Lloyd, the Rams have a player that is as talented as any receiver in the league. His problem has been that he seems to wear out his welcome at most stops after about two years. This will be Lloydís first full season in St. Louis so the staff can expect big things from him.

On the defensive side of the ball, Williams loves to pressure. In last yearís first round pick Robert Quinn, he has a player who has a chance to be a great pass rusher. On the other side is former first round pick Chris Long, who is just starting to be the player we thought he could be. He had 13 sacks in 2011 and under Williams that number should go up. With Quinn and Long, Williams has a much more talented group than he had in New Orleans.

For Williamsí defense to be at its best, he has to have a strong secondary and players who can create turnovers. Last year Jerome Murphy, Ron Bartell and Bradley Fletcher all ended up on injured reserve. Itís tough when you lose your top 3 corners. But all should be back in í12. The safeties only had a total of 4 interceptions in 2011 so donít be surprised if this position as well as the secondary in general is addressed in free agency or the draft.

The linebackers led by James Laurinaitis are solid but only had a total of 5 sacks for the entire group. Adding a strong blitzing linebacker may be on the agenda this spring.

Overall, the Rams have the potential to be a strong team and compete for the NFC West title. The offense has to get back on track but they have the players to do it. With the Rams holding the 2nd overall pick in the draft, they are in position to get some potentially good players. They can stay where they are and pick who they feel is the best player in the draft after Andrew Luck or they can use that pick to trade down to a team who is enamored with Robert Griffin. A trade down can put the Rams in position to get a number of quality young players to go along with the talent they have already. A strong draft and a few productive free agent signings will put them right back in the mix and on par with San Francisco. It will be interesting to follow what they do.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Can the Rams duplicate the *****' success in 2012?

In my opinion just because we went with a whole new coaching group doesn't mean the Rams will be successful. We still have the same players as last year. Same Wrs that drop balls, same offensive line that couldn't block my grandmother.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    In my opinion just because we went with a whole new coaching group doesn't mean the Rams will be successful. We still have the same players as last year. Same Wrs that drop balls, same offensive line that couldn't block my grandmother.
    True, but we will have all of our starters healthy to start to season.

I dont understand why some people completely ignore the fact that we were decimated by injuries.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Will the Rams be 13-3 next year? No. Will they have more than two wins? It'd be pretty damn hard not to.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    True, but we will have all of our starters healthy to start to season.

I dont understand why some people completely ignore the fact that we were decimated by injuries.
    My point is we need better players. In my opinion the #1 reason why the Rams sucked this past season was nobody could stay healthy. Unfortunately, Spags was let go even though it wasn't entirely on him, players go down they are forced to go with subpar players who are practice squad players or free agents for a reason. They suck. We need to draft and have a great offseason in the free agency

bcrox123 is offline Registered User

i thikn we can. i fell like we are the same sitation as the niners. bradford is better than smith and our d, with some help, can return to 2010 level. i dont think you will see recivers dropping ball and you wont see a lack of effort. the fisch wont put up with that.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    My point is we need better players. In my opinion the #1 reason why the Rams sucked this past season was nobody could stay healthy. Unfortunately, Spags was let go even though it wasn't entirely on him, players go down they are forced to go with subpar players who are practice squad players or free agents for a reason. They suck. We need to draft and have a great offseason in the free agency
    Well ofcourse we need to have a good offseason. However, we do have a nice core of key players established.

In all reality who knows whats goin to happen to our current roster. What if some of the players understand the new more experienced coaches better. Wouldnt surprise me. I think the coaches were acquiring now will get much more out of the players then that of the previous regime.

Dont forget its not always the player, thats the reason coaches are necessary.

I expect with the new coaches that our team will play much better fundamentally and as a team. Less mistakes and the team will feed off each other and play as one not individuals.

mh-i is offline Registered User

The 9ers had a deaper roster than the Rams. They had a TE an and a few good wide receivers. Without Llloyd the Rams have no top notch receivers. The 9ers suffered from a stale, concervative and predictable offense under Singletary. He wanted a running offense. The new regime opened things up and allowed their playmakers, whom were already on their roster, to touch the ball. I see it as more of an uphill battle for the Rams as opposed to the 9ers.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    The 9ers had a deaper roster than the Rams. They had a TE an and a few good wide receivers. Without Llloyd the Rams have no top notch receivers. The 9ers suffered from a stale, concervative and predictable offense under Singletary. He wanted a running offense. The new regime opened things up and allowed their playmakers, whom were already on their roster, to touch the ball. I see it as more of an uphill battle for the Rams as opposed to the 9ers.
    sadly,i agree.
    although that`s not to say that Fisher can't turn us into a better team than the niners..just not so quickly!
    let them pig out on fast food. we got a michelin star standard chef in our kitchen rustling up a treat for us,we just gotta be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    sadly,i agree.
    although that`s not to say that Fisher can't turn us into a better team than the niners..just not so quickly!
    I totally agree.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Well ofcourse we need to have a good offseason. However, we do have a nice core of key players established.

In all reality who knows whats goin to happen to our current roster. What if some of the players understand the new more experienced coaches better. Wouldnt surprise me. I think the coaches were acquiring now will get much more out of the players then that of the previous regime.

Dont forget its not always the player, thats the reason coaches are necessary.

I expect with the new coaches that our team will play much better fundamentally and as a team. Less mistakes and the team will feed off each other and play as one not individuals.
    It's going to be interesting to see, just what Fisher can draw out of this roster.? But at this point, this comparison with the *****, is more than a little far fetched.? The ***** have had the pieces in place, for quite a while now. They just needed the right coach, to instill some belief in the players.
    As for the Rams roster. I just don't see the same scope for improvement.? That is unless Fisher can somehow coax the very best out of Sam Bradford this season.? Their is still way too many IF's and BUT's where the Rams are concerned. However, I definitely would suggest, the team was much more of a capable unit, than their 2-14 record suggested.!
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-30-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

..... Playoffs .....

Has to be Fishers thinking before the seasons starts otherwise you've already lost the season. Lets talk about a so-so year if they get eliminated from contention.

Like other teams around the league, rebuild is a word that gets bandied about too much. young and competitive can get you into the playoffs as well as the veteran squads. all you need is a bit of grease, good fortune with injuries and good coaching and a bit of luck, ingredients this team may have in 2012.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Screw the Fortuniners, I'm looking for the Rams to model their own success from 1998 to 1999.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

As playing on the field goes, its really the Whiners defense that got them that far. We have a couple of bright spots but they had ball hawks and players that could turn the ball over. I would love to duplicate their season but don't see it happening this year. I would be happy to get in wild card position but an entire new staff won't guarantee that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    ..... Like other teams around the league, rebuild is a word that gets bandied about too much. young and competitive can get you into the playoffs as well as the veteran squads. all you need is a bit of grease, good fortune with injuries and good coaching and a bit of luck, ingredients this team may have in 2012.
    Ultimately you still have to have good players at every position. Overall talent wins out in the end. If it was strictly about wishing upon a star Denver would be in the Super Bowl.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast