Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Can someone make a gif of Josh Morgan getting trolled by Finnegan???

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Can someone make a gif of Josh Morgan getting trolled by Finnegan???

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Oh, come on! Chris Long was only saying, "You gotta be smarter than that!" That's all.

Good one A&E. I agree.

Players hanging around during a ruckus, doing their own little antics is nothing new, regardless of regular or decaffeinated Refs. I see no issue in this incident as long as Long didn't forcibly do something foolish like bumping carelessly against an official or, punching an opponent or, throwing the ball at him and such. [BTW, this infamous incident should be called 'The Morgan Memory'. ^_^]

Next we're going to want a penalty called on a player that hands the football to a Ref with the laces facing down. // Look, the Refs are making mistakes, yes. But that does not justify us fans becoming childish, making matters even worse.
    What's childish about acknowledging that stuff like that is called all the time & it wasn't here. Don't you remember Amendola getting a taunting penalty for spinning the ball too close to the opposition sideline ?

Not sayin' The Rams were equally at fault there but you have to admit it was a foolish risk with the game on the line. Finnegan knows how to play that stuff; he just walked away.

Not a big fan of this "affect the head" BS ( it's so clear what Williams meant now, isn't it ? He wasn't really talking about targeting a guy with a concussion, he was talking about getting in a guy's head psychologically by literally shoving his head after every tackle.A small but annoying thing that you can get away with that builds frustration ) but if you're going to use it, do it right.Like they say, it's almost always the second guy, the retaliator, who gets busted. Don't blow your role as the victim by indulging in the last laugh in front of the freakin' refs. The Skins knew they'd been mindeffed; there was no need to let the refs in on it.

Personally, I think it's a sign of insecurity, this tactic, that will fall away as the unit gets stronger. Guys like Long and Laurinaitis & a growing number of other young Rams will soon not need that cheaply-earned edge,imo. They can win both the mind & physical game with their smarts and talent & naturally ferocious appetite for contact.It's a nasty game but you can play it like Ray Lewis; try to thump the life out of you between the whistles but pull you up & give an encouraging word or pat after. If wanting to see my team playing & winning with class makes me childish, so be it.

Edit ps: Ray, I should add, will play like that if you're playing like a man & not a punk. Trying to punk great players is unwise; just look what London did after Ojinnaka's stupid play. It'll only get you so far.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-18-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Pssst, A&E: It wasn't you I was thinking about "being childish", okay? ...I'm on your side amigo.

Besides, I think much has to do with personality. You have those that dance and fly and do somersaults after a simple sack or when scoring a non GW TD. They scream their lungs out to release all that emotion, call for attention from the fans, etc. We all know the type(s).

Others just do their jobs in a much more quiet, composed way -- not much fanfare or celebration. It reminds me of the NFL of the mid 60s, talk about being more composed! You sure wouldn't catch Merlin Olsen doing one of those numbers but Deacon on the other hand, he could talk! And even the great Deacon and his Mohamed Ali-like outspoken personality, all his talk was off the field not during work on the gridiron!

Back then taunting among players was almost unheard of.

But today's NFL is much, much more loud and ostentatious. And a lot of this has to do with smack talk between players, whether it is pro football, the NBA, boxing, etc. Yes, it IS more psychological, the media is so deeply involved, far more than say, 25 or 30 years ago. The passion and the hype are both sky high.

Closing statement from HC Shanahan...

Shanahan later added, "When you get hit in the National Football League, your first reaction as a football player is to retaliate. But one thing you have to learn in the National Football League is they catch the second guy, not the first guy. Every once and a while the first guy will get caught. More times than not the second guy will get caught. When you look at the film, you see a guy pushing you in the face, all of a sudden a guy loses his composure, and the other guy is walking away, and you throw the football at him, and he’s laughing, you understand what he’s doing. That’s part of a young guy growing up." -- Bold mine

The Washington Post
    Monday, September 17, 2012
    In this respect I like Chris Long's message to the Skins sideline: "You gotta be smarter than that." I really don't see his gesture as taunting, provoking, or abusive.

So many times fans talk about about wanting attitude, swagger and toughness. Good! There's some of it right there. As long as Long does not exaggerate - which I maintain he did not - then it must be welcomed. I think Chris Long is one of our smartest, toughest men out there on the battle front.

Last edited by RealRam; -09-18-2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Skins HC statement

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I have to agree with Azul on this one. I understand the "getting in their head" thing. But Long should have just walked away when the ref told him to. Stupid on his part as it could have cost the Rams 15 yards and put the Skins back into FG range. The whole point is; "why do it"? The game is all but over at that point, what was Long going to accomplish by doing that? Did he think he looked good doing that? I hate the Raiders but Howie Long would not have done that, and I think he'll have a little chat with his son about those antics. Not classy at all. You can be tough without that stuff. In fact, I think that crap has the opposite effect.

I'd like to see that stuff toned down just a tad because I'm afraid that when the real ref's come back, players are going to be flagged all over the place because right now they're getting away with murder. DB's are manhandling WR's and no calls. Holding is being missed badly on the O line.

I hope Fisher has a talk about this stuff this week and gets a little control on it. A little is okay, but Sunday was out of control IMHO.
    thoey likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I hope Fisher has a talk about this stuff this week and gets a little control on it. A little is okay, but Sunday was out of control IMHO.
    Agreed, "a little is okay." No need to over do it and we too must be smart about it! 10-4.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Pssst, A&E: It wasn't you I was thinking about "being childish", okay? ...I'm on your side amigo.

Besides, I think much has to do with personality. You have those that dance and fly and do somersaults after a simple sack or when scoring a non GW TD. They scream their lungs out to release all that emotion, call for attention from the fans, etc. We all know the type(s).

Others just do their jobs in a much more quiet, composed way -- not much fanfare or celebration. It reminds me of the NFL of the mid 60s, talk about being more composed! You sure wouldn't catch Merlin Olsen doing one of those numbers but Deacon on the other hand, he could talk! And even the great Deacon and his Mohamed Ali-like outspoken personality, all his talk was off the field not during work on the gridiron!

But today's NFL is much, much more loud and ostentatious. And a lot of this has to do with smack talk between players, whether it is pro football, the NBA, boxing, etc. Yes, it IS more psychological, the media is so deeply involved, far more than say, 25 or 30 years ago. The passion and the hype are both sky high.

Closing statement from HC Shanahan...

In this respect I like Chris Long's message to the Skins sideline: "You gotta be smarter than that."

No offense taken, my Rambrother, but I didn't think the point was childish. In fact, I think this whole thread is a bit um...misguided. There were so many genuinely footballistic high points in that game & THIS moment is the one some Ram fans want to cherish ? It looked like kindergarten recess if someone had spiked the morning snack with PCP. Not a proud moment for either team & a sad way to end an intense contest. I think that if WASH fans think they got screwed out of the game by dirty tactics, then they are probably just griping in logic-less pain for the most part. Then again, some may well be crying like little girls with snot running down their distraught little faces but who am I to judge ?

Well said. Understood A&E. I hear you.

How much nicer it would have been that instead of all that controversy at the end with the Morgan - Finnegan incident our Rams D would have secured the winning score on that play with a huge sack on RG3 ... and a fumble which we recover! I sure would have preferred that (now I'm the child, daydreaming even). That would have certainly been more dignified and vindicating.

As you and RFRH implied, however, I too am sure Coach Fisher will make all this nonsense part of his agenda. Besides, we have so many young players, we need them to grow up with the best values, even as professional football players in the NFL. It does make a difference, it does pay dividends.

Thanks to both of you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12