rNemesis is offline Registered User

Can someone please answer these burning questions?

I have a couple of worries that really are getting to me.

1) We all know that LT is our biggest need because we released O-Pace. But if we draft Smith/Monroe with the second pick, who is going to play RT? I understand that Alex Barron is now moved over to LT ( because he sucks at RT). Does that mean he will be our 2009 starting LT? And if so, what will happen to Smith/Monroe? This is really confusing. All this talk about drafting a LT to replace Pace, but yet you move Barron over to LT? I dont want Barron moving back to right because he has not shown that he can play that side.

2) I know we are talking about drafting Curry with the number 2 pick. I am ALL down for that dont get me wrong. But arent football games won/lost in the trenches? You have got to get pressure on the opposing QB. If we draft curry, we still have a need at DT ( unless Carriker comes along just fine under Spagnuolo). So its like drafting Curry will not make much sense; it would be better if we got Ron Brace or someone else.

3) If we draft Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, he had better be damn good like Jake Long last year ( only 1 sack allowed all year) because I would hate to pass up on a guy like Curry.

4) As mentioned in a previous thread, why cant we draft a tackle in the second round? Arent guys like Phil Loadholt, Warren Beatty, etc. good enough to start on day 1? Because if so, then that means we can get Curry and do that.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: Can someone please answer these burning questions?

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    I have a couple of worries that really are getting to me.

1) We all know that LT is our biggest need because we released O-Pace. But if we draft Smith/Monroe with the second pick, who is going to play RT? I understand that Alex Barron is now moved over to LT ( because he sucks at RT). Does that mean he will be our 2009 starting LT? And if so, what will happen to Smith/Monroe? This is really confusing. All this talk about drafting a LT to replace Pace, but yet you move Barron over to LT? I dont want Barron moving back to right because he has not shown that he can play that side.

Because Barron "has not shown that he can play that side <right>" you'd rather he play the left <blind> side? The problem as I've come to realize it is that Barron hasn't reach the level of play expected on him, he's penalty prone, and lackadasical. Perhaps, with this being a contract year for him, he steps it up, but at LT. I can see a Smith/Monroe being worked into the line a RT to start. Eases the college to pro transition without them having to learn it guarding Bulger's blind side. Also, Barron is in the last year of his contract and if he isn't brought, or comes, back, Smith/Monroe will become the very valuable hard to find quality LT. I hope. So, getting that LT now is a very good idea regardless of where Barron plants his butt.

2) I know we are talking about drafting Curry with the number 2 pick. I am ALL down for that dont get me wrong. But arent football games won/lost in the trenches? You have got to get pressure on the opposing QB. If we draft curry, we still have a need at DT ( unless Carriker comes along just fine under Spagnuolo). So its like drafting Curry will not make much sense; it would be better if we got Ron Brace or someone else.

I like Curry, but am not "down" with him as the pick <see answer to first>. I can't see leaving the OT need unaddressed with that first pick and I can't see paying 50mil to a MLB who played OLB in college. I would also like to see the trenches filled. With that in mind, I like Ziggy Hood DT in the second round and a guy like Jasper Brinkley in day two, probably 4th round. I think that helps fortify the DT position and gets the sizable MLB that is needed. Brinkley was still recovering last season from a knee injury, so I think he's better than his projections based on overall college production. Carriker, as mentioned elsewhere, needs to learn to bend the knees and quit playing standing straight up. He's strong, but doesn't play with leverage.

3) If we draft Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe, he had better be damn good like Jake Long last year ( only 1 sack allowed all year) because I would hate to pass up on a guy like Curry.

See #1 and #2 above. And I don't think they'll be as good as Jake. I think the top of this draft is a bit less than last season. And trading down is very unlikely.

4) As mentioned in a previous thread, why cant we draft a tackle in the second round? Arent guys like Phil Loadholt, Warren Beatty, etc. good enough to start on day 1? Because if so, then that means we can get Curry and do that.
    Much like the mock drafts going around everywhere, your guessing that Beatty type will be there in round two. Also, you have the opportunity to get that high quality, maybe not Jake high, LT.......so you have to pull that string. You have alot of money invested in SJax and Bulger. It's more likely IMO that you find a gem to play MLB or DT after the first round than it is you will find a day one starter for OT, and the Rams are incredibly thin at OT anyhow. Remember, London Fletcher and Demarco Farr weren't first rounders and they were great. Do you remember where they were drafted.
    Semper Fi!

rNemesis is offline Registered User
    Thanks Richbert. Now I can sleep better at night and relax my mind during the day because you answered each and every question I asked, which is EXACTLY what I wanted. Thank You so much.

So let me ask you a question Richbert. If we draft Smith/Monroe, wouldn't putting them to play on the Right side make them play out of position? Because we all know we are famous for that. So youre saying draft a quality OT to start day one or learn the ropes and be great for years to come?
    Last edited by Nick; -04-18-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

cfh128 is offline Registered User

If we draft Smith/Monroe they will play on the left side. The reason Barron there now isn't because "he sucks at RT", its because we let Pace go and he is the best tackle we have on the roster. If we draft one of those guys, they will play LT and Barron will go back to the right side where he has played the duration of his career.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

(exasperated breath) I have very solid counter arguments for everything that was said to argue against taking Curry and instead replacing Barron with a rookie, but really if I haven't broke you round one OT fans' will yet, I probably never will

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1. If we draft Monroe/Smith, Barron probably moves back to the right side, but if he's not up to the job, we could always try putting Greco into the lineup or even Goldberg. It's also quite possible that we really do need to upgrade both OT positions, but there's only so much you can do in one off-season.

2. Drafting Curry and improving the defensive line are not mutually exclusive propositions. It's possible that we could still pick up a defensive lineman later in the draft regardless of what happens in round one.

3. Pretty much. When we're drafting this early and shelling out so much money, expectations are going to be very high for any player we pick.

4. The biggest problem with waiting to round two is the uncertainty about who would be there. Loadholt has some character issues and reportedly struggles against speed rushers, which doesn't exactly make him sound like a cornerstone to build your offensive line around. Beatty has plenty of potential, but he might be taken before the end of the first round. I'm not saying we shouldn't take Curry, but if we do, we just have to recognize that the best offensive line talent could be snapped up before we get to pick again.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    (exasperated breath) I have very solid counter arguments for everything that was said to argue against taking Curry and instead replacing Barron with a rookie, but really if I haven't broke you round one OT fans' will yet, I probably never will
    Dido that. How many threads are we going to post the exact same arguements in?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Barron was "moved" to left tackle because we lost Pace and had no one else there. That being said, he's only spent one minicamp there and no one has ever said it was a permanent move. If the Rams draft Smith or Monroe, Barron could easily shift back to RT where he's spent the majority of his pro career. Or the Rams could choose to keep him there and play the rookie at right tackle, but I think the former scenario is more likely.

I'm a subscriber to the theory of football being won and lost in the trenches, which is one of the reasons I'm in favor of taking an offensive tackle in the first round. I think you make a great point about the defensive line; it will also need to be addressed. A part of me wonders how effective Curry will be until we get a capable defensive line in front of him. I don't think we have a line right now that is going to consistently keep blockers off of our linebackers. We could use an upgrade at nose tackle to either rotate with or replace Clifton Ryan, we could use an upgrade at DE to rotate with and eventually replace Leonard Little, and we still don't know exactly what we have in Adam Carriker right now. It's one of the reasons why I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams drafted a guy like Ziggy Hood in the second round, even though we have Carriker at the UT position.

That's not really a question.

But I agree, whomever the Rams select with their first round pick, they'd better be convinced that player is going to develop into a cornerstone of this team.

We can draft a tackle in the second round. The question though becomes how good of a player that tackle is and whether or not he'd fit what we want to do. Because the further you go down the list of prospects at any position, the more question marks and concerns you seem to find. That's not to say none of them will ever develop into good players, but the chances are going down at that point.

I wrote an article a week or so ago regarding some of the Rams' options in the second round and beyond, and why they were concerning for me as fits with this team. That might give you some more detailed answers to this question.

Curry Fans, how do the Rams address their need @ OT?