RamWraith is offline Registered User

Can Stanley Add Some 'Spunk' To The Offense?

By Howard Balzer
    Saturday, October 11, 2008

Suddenly, the Rams' receiving corps is getting younger and faster. It's about time.

Rookie Donnie Avery is starting, and offensive coordinator Al Saunders is devising different ways to get the ball in his hands. Rookie Keenan Burton is expected to return from a knee injury next week against Dallas, a move foreshadowed by the fact that Burton is listed as doubtful on this week's injury report. Burton won't play Sunday, but it's significant that is not listed as "out."

Then, as expected, Derek Stanley was elevated from the practice squad to the active roster Friday, another move made by new coach Jim Haslett. Stanley has been getting snaps with the first unit since the first day of practice last week under Haslett.

Last season, Stanley was a seventh-round draft pick and was added to the roster from the practice squad for the final three games of the season. He showed some flash on kickoff returns, averaging 25.5 yards on 20 runbacks with a long of 49.

He's excited to get the opportunity a lot earlier this season.

After being told all week he would probably be added to the roster, Stanley signed his contract Friday morning before going on the practice field.

"I'm glad it's finally here," he said. "I want to be able to help and give the team a little spark. I'm always prepared. I feel like I can make some big plays and give this offense a little bit of juice if need be." Stanley said there's "a little package" designed for him for Sunday's game.

Said wide receiver Torry Holt, "He's going to have his little jitters, but I'll just try to give him little words of encouragement. He's had some awesome practices. Stanley is probably one of the most athletic receivers that we have on our squad. Hopefully he can go out on Sunday and make some plays for us and kind of get this thing turned around.

"With his youth and his athleticism, he can add some spunk to our offensive unit, he and Donnie). I'm looking forward to going out there and watching him play. It's going to be fun."

Stanley is a natural kickoff returner, but has also been working extensively on punt returning after some rocky moments just catching the ball in practice as a rookie, especially some workouts held in the evening.

"I'm way more comfortable than last year," he said. "Those night practices will get you every time."

LOOKER STILL WONDERING

There is still no definitive determination to explain the spot on wide receiver Dane Looker's brain. After having an angiogram Thursday, doctors still can't identify the spot or what it is.

Said coach Jim Haslett, "Nothing's conclusive. We're going to talk to the doctor some more today and hopefully come up with a conclusion early next week."

Additional doctors are expected to be looking at Looker's test results in the next few days.

BULGER READY

Holt was asked about his observations of quarterback Marc Bulger in practice this week. He said, "Marc looks good. He's delivering the ball, the ball is out of his hands, he's putting it where it is supposed to be. You can tell that he is really excited about being back in the starting lineup and going back out on Sunday and showing people why he should be the starting quarterback or why he is the highest paid player on this team.

"We have to help him. We have to protect him. We have to run the ball well. We have to get open and catch the ball for him and make some plays to kind of settle him down. It's going to take a total team effort this weekend for us to go on the road this weekend against a good Washington Redskins football team. A total team effort."

MIXING IT UP

Right guard Richie Incognito and linebacker Quinton Culberson got into a scuffle during a goal-line play late in Friday's practice. At one point, Incognito pulled Culberson's helmet off his head.

On the next play, Incognito and linebacker Gary Still exchanged "pleasantries," and Haslett came in to break it up.

Asked later about it, Haslett said those things can sometimes help a team. He told a story of how he actually staged a fight in practice while coach of the Saints, where defensive end Joe Johnson tackled Haslett to the ground.

Haslett also said he told Incognito he wants him to be "nasty" out on the field, but to also be smart.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Can Stanley Add Some 'Spunk' To The Offense?

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Howard Balzer
    Saturday, October 11, 2008

Holt was asked about his observations of quarterback Marc Bulger in practice this week. He said, "Marc looks good. He's delivering the ball, the ball is out of his hands, he's putting it where it is supposed to be. You can tell that he is really excited about being back in the starting lineup and going back out on Sunday and showing people why he should be the starting quarterback or why he is the highest paid player on this team.

Lets hope so.
    :ramlogo:

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Can Stanley Add Some 'Spunk' To The Offense?

I hope Bulger is ready. Unfortunately I'm wearing my Jackson jersey tomorrow since the Rams are away.

I am looking forward to having Bulger be our leader again. I'm excited to have him back again

I am really excited about having our young receiver corps. So exciting!