Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Can we compete in 2009?

I know it's early, but contingent on Bartell signing, and Butler coming aboard, which I have a feeling they will, can this team really compete in 2009?

By compete, I'm not talking winning the division, or even playoffs, but fielding a very competetive team that plays hard in every game and gives the opposition a run for it's money ...

The NFL is a very dynamic league - it's doesn't take alot to term the team around. Look at our offensive line for instance. They had no identity last year, it seemed everybody was on an island, just doing there own thing. Add Jason Brown, and you imstantly add a spark and attitude to the line that we were desperately lacking. Is he the end all beat all solution to our line problems? No, not in the strictest sense. We still need to find a long term replacement for Pace, or even an instant fill in if he leaves, and we also need to decide Barron's future. But the addition of Brown does replace a liability in the HEART of the line. No longer do we have to worry about a guard having to pick up the slack of the center. Instead, they can focus on getting downfield and doing some damage paricularly in the run game. I know alot of people are down on Incognito, but he has shown an ability to get to the second level of the defense in the run game. Imagine what he might be able to do with a hoss like Brown next to him ...

I think we are fine at quarterback. We need to groom for the future, but we've all seen what Bulger can do with time ...

We are also fine at running back. It would be nice to add an uber quick dynamic back, but I think Darby is a more than capable #2. We need a beast of a fullback, but those can be found in the draft ...

The receiver corp is an issue. Avery and Burton should develop nicely, but what about Holt. Is he even here? I am sure we will rely alot of the tight end, and we have a nice pair in McMichael and Fells. We need to get bigger at the wideout position. Adding Brown gives us some flexibility to possibly do this in the draft ...

On defense, we need a younger edge rusher, but I am sure that Spags will do wonders with Long and Little. They might be quite a pair rushing off the edge. Huge defensive tackles are not required for his scheme, but a big body in the middle would be nice. Where we excel here is having guys on the edge like Hall and Adeyanju that can move inside and rush the passer on passing downs. If you have watched Spags schemes, you know that he likes his front four to be very versatile. We saw the damage that James Hall could do last year rushing from the down position. These types of players could be crucial ....

Linebacker is a major issue. We still have no real MLB, and I think this has to be addressed for us to be successful. We need a guy in the middle that can shed blocks and force his way into the action. We have nice outside backers in Witherspoon and Pisa, should he be here. I don't know about Culberson on the strong side, I think we'd be just as good off using Vobora there. Draft is a nice player but he is aging. We need an impact player in this group to free up Witherspoon, who can be an elite player if given the opportunity to run free in space ...

If we can sign Bartell and Butler, the secondary is just fine. Bartell of course is more essential than Butler. There are some nice safeties in the draft that may fall to the second/third round - Chung and R. Johnson. The big question here, assuming Bartell signs, is who will be the second corner. Tye Hill could be rejuvenated until Spags, he seemed to be very upbeat in the initial press conference. Wade showed some flashes at the end of the year, but he seems best suited to be a nickel guy. Jason Craft and Ricky Manning are nice nickel/dime players, who play hard, support the run well, and have shown an ability to blitz. We've got to sign players like this ...

Special teams we are fine ...

So, in essence, are we that far from being a competetive team? I don't think so. Attitude is going to be essential here. You saw what this team was capable of when Haslett first took over and had them believing. Forget everything this team knows about LOSING. Spags is going to eliminate that and instill a WINNING mentality. He's been through the ups and downs, and all indications are that he is bubbly, energetic, and very upbeat. What we lack in game changing players, we make up for with some nice versatility across the board. We are definitely going to be 2 or 3 players away from being a major threat, but we are off to a nice start ...

Let's get this show started. I like the potential here ...

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Can we compete in 2009?

There is no question we have many needs to address. But I've always felt it is a loser's mentality to go into the season "just hoping for 4 or 5 wins", and while being competitive in losses is better than being blown out, a loss is still a loss. I expect us to address our needs through fiscal responsibility, accountability and good drafting with a solid two or three additions through free agency or a trade.

The NFL is a league where quick turnarounds are becoming common if things break right and a team has management committed to winning and making intelligent personnel decisions. We now appear to have that with Billy Devaney running the show, a true personnel manager on board and the purging of buffoons Zygmunt, Linehan, Haslett, Shaw and others who contributed to our current mess. And unloading Bennett, Trent Green and many more guys to come will weed out a lot of dead weight.

Moreover, the NFC west is there for the taking. Keeping things in perspective and despite their nice run to the Super Bowl, the Cardinals were an average team for much of the season and actually were terrible at times, getting blown out by the Jets and Patriots and playing poorly on the road. Seattle is on the downside, in my opinion, and San Francisco has huge question marks all over. My challenge to you as far as winning the division is concerned is this: "Why not now, why not us??

Billy Devaney is on record as saying "we are not too far off". There is obviously much work to do and a lot of decisions to be made. But I am very optimistic we can be a challenger sooner rather than later.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I think this team will be much better regardless of what Bartell decides to do,I like the guy and hope he comes back at a reasonable price,some guys here are making him sound like a season dealbreaker and I don't believe he is. he is good and most likely will get better,but he is not a superstar or for that matter even a pro bowler,so even with out him I think this team is very much going to improve.A good pass rush will make all of our DB'S better and I think that should be the main focus,not paying crazy money to one guy just because that's what the "market" says we should pay.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I don't think the main reason our record has been terrible for the last few years has been because we were constantly competing against teams with better talent and skill.

We sucked because we didn't prepare or execute well. We didn't give it our all through the whistle or for the entire game. We had no chemistry, no heart and no passion. These were problems created by bad leadership. If Linehan was still our coach the signing of Jason Brown would mean next to nothing for me... but ding dong the witch is dead and in comes Spags with his ruby slippers.

I believe Spags can turn the ship and make us competitive but I don't think we the fans fully understand how far in the hole Linehan has left us. Changing those problems may be a harder challenge than putting together the right draft.

That being said... Let's win a SUPERBOWL!!!!!

07McCarthy is offline Registered User

haha im a HUGE rams fan but i say we have another high draft pick next year.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Heck yeah we can compete next year. This is the NFL, anything can happen.
    It's not like we all have inferior players at every position, I think with proper coaching and a solid offseason (of workouts and free agency/drafting) we can inprove and compete for a playoff spot.
    And like we've seen with the Cardinals and Giants, all you gotta do is get in the playoffs to have a shot at the Super Bowl.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

We will compete next year!!!!!!!!!!

thoey is offline Registered User

RamInfiniti, very well thought out and worded post. I would give you some *love* but I just gave you some yesterday.

I too think we are close to being competitive, and that is all we as fans should want. Plan, train, perform your best, every second of every game. If you do that, you will win more games than you lose. (Drafting Curry for the MLB spot can do nothing but help...)

This space for rent...

MarshallMarshall Guest

IMO we have already started to compete as soon as we hired Billy D and Spags. This Franchise has made some many terrible business decisions in this Decade and it has held us back majorly. But I have to give credit to lil' Chip finally kicking Zygmunt to the curb and making Shaw a lesser role.
    Finally our Owner has realized the F.O. was making terrible decisions. It seems he brought in Quality guys with proven winning record. Their first big pick up in F.A. is a young up and comer and fills one of our biggest holes. WHAT the RAMS didn't spend big money on a old veteran FA, YEP thats right were not the same ol' RAMS.
    But to get back to the point..
    We now finally have chemistry in our F.O. and a no-nonsense coach who will demand respect and knows how to get the best out of his players.
    With all the bad moves the RAMS have made over the last few years we are now only a couple of Impact players away from a playoff team...IMO of course.

Well, glad to know that I am not the only one ...

To me, the talent separation from player to player across the league is not as big as some teams final records might indicate ...

Great coaches fill holes. Great coaches make average players play like good players, and good players play like great players ...

For instance, I consistenly hear how Victor Adeyanju is a great player against the run, but he has minimal pass rush skills. A great coach gets him into position where he can effectively rush the passer regardless of this. If you cannot teach him to rush off the edge, get him into position to bull rush inside. Such tactics have worked with guys like James Hall ...

Alex Barron has alot of false starts. A great coach finds a way to "reward" him if he cuts back on these ...

The jury is out on Spags, but the atmosphere just seems "different" ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -03-01-2009 at 08:39 PM.

HornIt is offline Registered User

With competent schemes and good coaching and leadership they can compete. I don't think they'll win a bunch of games but they could fight for .500 if they get those things.

If they can get strong performances from the QB and RB position throughout the year, then they could even be surprisingly good. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a real struggle for Bulger and unless a young QB emerges for the Rams next season in relief of Bulger, I think the dominant topic of conversation next off season will be about solving the QB postion.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    With competent schemes and good coaching and leadership they can compete. I don't think they'll win a bunch of games but they could fight for .500 if they get those things.

If they can get strong performances from the QB and RB position throughout the year, then they could even be surprisingly good. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a real struggle for Bulger and unless a young QB emerges for the Rams next season in relief of Bulger, I think the dominant topic of conversation next off season will be about solving the QB postion.
    Why exactly do you figure Bulger will struggle with an upgraded offensive line, receivers with added experience, a healthy running game, and more conservative scheming in the WCO?

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Why exactly do you figure Bulger will struggle with an upgraded offensive line, receivers with added experience, a healthy running game, and more conservative scheming in the WCO?
    Because I think the new offense is going to be a difficult transition for him to make and I think his problems run much deeper than just the people around him.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Infiniti, you lay out a great plan. I think the missing point as we all know is "luck". We need the ball to bounce our way a few times and we need to stay healthy. The key in my mind is drafting Curry who wll be an elite player in this league for many years. I share your excitement.

Go Rams!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I look at it this way, the way we ended the season with fight and hope, means we will start the season this way.

We can only do better than what we did last year. The 08 Rams played their hearts out and almost beat a tough Falcons team.

The 09 Rams will feed off of this. I won't put us in the play offs. I wont put us ontop of the NFC West. This division is up for grabs next year. However, I guarantee we won't be the #4 seed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast