Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    realchamp11 is offline Registered User

can we please move carriker to DE!

why is adam carriker still playin DT when that obviously isnt his natural position. I know we are thin at DT this year but atleast next yr can we please do it??

:1:PLAY EVER SNAP LIKE IT YOUR LAST!!!:1:

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Re: can we please move carriker to DE!

Why do you think AC would be better at DE then DT? He's to slow to turn the corner so he would provide no pass rush I know alot of people would like to see this move made but I don't understand why

RealRam is online now Registered User

Totally in agreement with you, Massive. I'd like to see AC develop -- and develop well, and quickly now -- into a good, reliable DT. Right now he's practically at 300 lbs., too heavy for a DE.

Unless ... he becomes a versatile DT / DE on certain situations.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Why do you think AC would be better at DE then DT? He's to slow to turn the corner so he would provide no pass rush I know alot of people would like to see this move made but I don't understand why
    Neither do I. We're not in a 3-4 defense, so we don't really need 300 pound defensive ends in our system.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Totally in agreement with you, Massive. I'd like to see AC develop -- and develop well, and quickly now -- into a good, reliable DT. Right now he's practically at 300 lbs., too heavy for a DE.

Unless ... he becomes a versatile DT / DE on certain situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Neither do I. We're not in a 3-4 defense, so we don't really need 300 pound defensive ends in our system.
    100% correct. Now if we played a 3-4 then yes we should move him to DE but thats not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Right now he's practically at 300 lbs., too heavy for a DE.
    he can always lose weight n slim up a little. i just dont wanna see another first round DT bust!

Quote Originally Posted by realchamp11 View Post
    he can always lose weight n slim up a little. i just dont wanna see another first round DT bust!
    I agree bro nobody want's to see another first round bust but at the NFL level he is not a 4-3 DE but if he stays healthy I think he will have a great year in Spag's system

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    I agree bro nobody want's to see another first round bust but at the NFL level he is not a 4-3 DE but if he stays healthy I think he will have a great year in Spag's system
    i really hope so!!!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by realchamp11 View Post
    Sure he can, but that wouldn't make him a DE. He's too slow to play a 4-3 rush end. Period. If you want a slow 4-3 end who can best play the run, we've already got one in Victor Adeyanju. Carriker's premium position might be as a 3-4 end, but believe me (and many other Husker fans), he'll never become a threat as a 4-3 end. He could very well find his home as a DT in Spagnuolo's system, which requires defensive linemen to rush up-field rather than hold their gaps/O-linemen.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

virtually everything i could say against moving him yet again has already been said...also we actually quite deep at the DE position already with Long,Little,Hall (our leading sacker last year),Big Vic and Eric Moore..but still thin at DT with AC,Ryan,Scott & Harris..AC is not a bust yet,he has been bounced around between UT & NT and played virtually all of last season whilst injured...if he stays at UT and in a new scheme he shouldnt be a bust as i think busts only appear when either a player hasnt the will to succeed, or is totally playing out of position...Carriker has the will to succeed,he`s healthy now and should be played in his best position..that being UT not DE where he would certainly become a bust due to his lack of DE type speed.

chiguy is online now Registered User

First, I don't think Carricker is slow as many make him out to be. He ran a pretty good 40 time at the combine as I recall, though that was when he was lighter.

Second, I don't see why anyone would call him a "bust" at this point. He had a pretty good year as a rookie in comparison to most rookie DTs and was injured for a big chunk of last year while playing along an aging vet and second year player drafted in the middle rounds. If he stinks this year, then maybe we can start talking about him being a bust.

Third, which of our DEs will you sit for Carricker? Little or Long? OK, I'm guessing no one wants to sit either of those guys, so the next question is which DT do you want on the field instead of him? Again, I'm guessing no one has any names unless they think Adeyanju is a full time 3-technique.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Should never have been drafted(old regime), but we will have to make the most of what we have got. If he stays injury free he should be at least servicable.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Cause if there is something that wins in the NFL it's a 4-3 with a 310 pound DE.

Come on, people. Short of being a 3-4 End, the kid is exactly where he needs to be. He had a healthy rookie campaign, and an injured sophmore season. It's not time to move him if he needs moving. However more importantly, he DOESN'T NEED TO BE MOVED! He's played fine when healthy. As a matter of fact, with the defense changing to a more attacking interior versus the gap control model of the previous regime, I think he'll excel right where he is.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Wow... virtually all of my yelling and groaning about how Carriker is simply not a 4-3 end in the least has been done for me already. Thanks guys! But just for fun:

Carriker = 310 lbs.
    Normal 4-3 DE = 250 - 280 lbs at the extremes.
    Normal 3-4 DE = 290+ lbs.
    Normal 4-3 DT = 290+ lbs.

Now just where does it seem like he fits? Yes, he was rather good on the measureables at the combine, not too much slower than Long, actually, but the difference is the weight, first step, and short area quickness. Long has it, Carriker does not. Carriker is a prototype 3-4 DE, and that is what he played in college, not a 4-3 end like people seem to think. A 3-4 end is not the same as a 4-3 end, despite what people think. The fact that Carriker, while learning somewhat of a new position, yes, and injured, and also being the best guy at a very thin position, is not putting up monster stats is fine by me, because he's a clogger and an interior pass rusher. He's not a guy who's going to rack up lots of stats, and that's a good thing. He's doing just fine from my point of view.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Should never have been drafted(old regime), but we will have to make the most of what we have got. If he stays injury free he should be at least servicable.
    He is probably one of the better draft picks from that terrible drafting regime.

People say he wont get to the QB, but in his only start at LE Carriker got a sack. Spags likes Versatile DE's. Look at some of his players like Kiwinuka and Chris Gocong who can play both SLB and RE. Look at Justin Tuck who played DE and DT. There are already DE's in this league who around 300 pounds. Chris Canty will be plying LE on running downs for the giants Spags former team and the same goes for Corey Redding in Seatle. All of the DE's in New Orleans are over 285. They aren't full time DE's most move in to UT on passing downs. He isn't an every down end, but IMO he could play both LE on run downs and UT on passing downs effectively at 280. If that was the plan Carriker probably would have cut weight so I don't think it is going to happen. I don't think it is a question of can Carriker do it because I think he can. The question is Spags comfortable enough with the Rookie Scott and Ryan along with Harris coming of the bench on Early downs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast