chiguy is offline Registered User

Can we talk about Pace?

Honestly, this guy is not playing at a Pro Bowl level. He's not horrible to be sure, but I don't think he's an elite player any more.

We have trouble running the ball in general, which isn't surprising with our guards. But you'd think we could at least once in a while get a push on the left side with Pace. I can't recall that happening in any game.

Plus, he seems to get beat a lot more than he used too. The four-man rush sack in the Seattle game came on his side and he absolutely blew his assignment on the fumble sack this week.

I'm frustrated with the line in general terms, but this guy is supposed to be the anchor and I don't see it. If it weren't for the false starts, I'd say Barron is our best OL right now.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Can we talk about Pace?

you know i have been hearing that from alot of people and i agree he doesnt look like the pro bowl tackle we are used to,i said it back then and i will say it again he came back to early from his concussion,i am not a doctor but there can be long lingering affects from those.these guys know what to say and do to pass a test and be cleared to play.i think there should be a minium time period that you have to sit out when you get a concussion.if you watch Pace's extra large head hit the ground,you could tell that it was going to be a serious concussion. i could be totally wrong and off base here and if i am so be it, it's just my 2 cents.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I cant tell if he is at a pro bowl level or not, its clear he isnt having as good a year as he has in the past. However, i think he still does an excellent job in pass protection and he rarely gets beat. I dont think he got beat once this sunday.

I think that as a run blocker, he is not a top notch guy at this point and i am not sure that he ever really has been. We seem unable to gain the third and ones over his spot.

Part of that may be that our tight end, mr. klop, doesnt block much when he is next to him in short yardage, but part of it may just be the ten years in the nfl catching up to him.

While he may not be as dominant as he was, and this is certainly a fair topic for debate, Pace is not part of our problem.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

taking out my opinion on the concussion, i still think pace is a dominate pass blocker,i don't think he was ever that way with run blocking,but he is still better than most,you take how many times this man has been asked to pass block since he got to st. louis and how many times he has been beat while doing so,he is still the best overall tackle in football in my opinion.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The way he's playing this season he is not on PACE to make the pro bowl.

We should be able to run on his side.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I cant tell if he is at a pro bowl level or not, its clear he isnt having as good a year as he has in the past. However, i think he still does an excellent job in pass protection and he rarely gets beat. I dont think he got beat once this sunday.
    Actually, he got beat on Bulger's fumble. He went low on the guy and completely whiffed, unless someone else has his name on the back of their jersey. Plus, remember that Bulger was running to his right and got sacked from behind on the fumble. OP blew that play hard.

I think that as a run blocker, he is not a top notch guy at this point and i am not sure that he ever really has been. We seem unable to gain the third and ones over his spot.
    To be fair, I'm taking this out on Pace when its clear the whole line doesn't get much of a push. I recall at least two running plays where our whole OL got pushed straight up and got no where. It was really sad. Our red zone playing will get a lot better when we can start knocking some guys off the ball.

While he may not be as dominant as he was, and this is certainly a fair topic for debate, Pace is not part of our problem.
    Not by himself. But given the amount of cap space he's sitting on, I'll admit that I watch his play more closely and expect more out of him than I do Todd Steussie.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think he is part of the problem, as much as you can say any member of the offense is the problem right now. I'm not questioning his talent or his value to the team over the years, but I feel like he and Barron both have been beaten more often than I'd expect out of players of their calibur. I think it was more Barron in the San Diego game giving up sacks to Merriman, but on those 3 man rush sacks in Seattle, he and Barron practically sandwiched Bulger between them the way they were backpedaling. But then in KC, wasn't Pace the one trying to block Allen?

When i say he isnt part of the problem, what i mean is that its all relative. Could he play better? Sure. But the fact that he isnt at the very top doesnt mean that we can realistically hope to upgrade. The cap is a consideration, but we are locked in cap wise with pace and i am not so sure that we would do a lot better for a bit less money anyway, i think for less money, you would have more protection problems.

The issue with pace is a function of expectations and prior performance. The fact that he gets beat here and there doesnt in my view make him part of our overall problems, which are no pass rush of any kind, no ability to stop the run, and very very shaky interior line run blocking. In the cap era, you cant be perfect or even great everywhere. When i mention problems, i am talking about the spots where we are below average and getting killed and i dont think pace falls into that category just because he isnt playing at the level he has in the past.

As for the play where bulger got sacked, bulger had the ball an awful long time on that play and had more than enough time to get rid of it.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

GC, go watch the tape -- Pace was beaten almost immediately.

Chiguy, i trust you on this, but i can never rewatch a tape of a game we lose. Too painful. If you say he was beat, he was beat, i still think bulger had time to get rid of the ball. Again, i am not saying that he hasnt gotten beat, and i think that your post was on target, he isnt playing at a pro bowl level.

ramming speed to all

general counsel