Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    general counsel is online now Registered User

Re: Can't wait to hear the responses now ...

Its a reasonable point eldfan, given last weeks debacle, its certainly a step in the right direction to play well and hopefully gain some confidence. I am not pointing to you at all because i know you get this, but some tend to overeact in both directions to preseason play.

The only reality to the preseason is season impacting injuries and having your guys at 100% when the season starts. Absent a healthy and in shape steven jackson, we are going nowhere fast.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

39thebeast is offline Registered User

San Diego has one of the deepest teams in the league they are very good. A mix of starters and their second unit o-line is still way better than a ton of o-lines in the league. The fact we were able to get consistent pressure is very good. Also I realy doubt they had 3 starters. Culberson has gotten pressure this game and the last against some of the top lines in the AFC while being neer the top on the team in tackles. This guy has played spectacular heres to hoping he keeps it up.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Yeah, a lot of the excuses from last week was that we were missing starters on defense, yet when the opposing offense rests their best starters- it doesn't seem to matter. Let's be happy that we didn't give up a ton of yards to the Chargers second and third strings, but I'm not ready to proclaim a Rams turn around on defense just yet.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    One thing about this game is that it is just what Little and Long needed to build up confidence.
    Chris Long too. He made a great play and showed an amazing burst of speed in catching and taking down Mike Tolbert from behind, ending a Chargers drive.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    Just because someone criticizes the effort and/or preparedness of the team, it doesn't mean were jumping ship. This is not about the fans, this is about the players and their effort/preparedness. Stop making the issue something other than the play on the field.

Here you are criticizing Bulger for his play this week, and you have the gall to then mock those who criticize our defense last week which ALMOST SET A RECORD FOR MOST RUSHING YARDS GIVIN UP.

Odd.
    A record? It's preseason NOOB ...

Saying Bulger is bad is one thing. Nowhere in my post did you say me say the season was shot because of one bad performance in a preseason game ...

You obviously just do not get it. My gripe is the "sky is falling" attitude after one preseason game ...

Do you really think the run defense's performance against Tennessee was indicitive of what this team is capable of? Right. You know, we just shed 20 YPG and 0.8 YPC against on run defense from 2006 to 2007, but now, with more experience, and fresh legs, the wheels fell off? Come on ...

You obvious have not just the jist of ANYTHING I post on here. I don't need to explain myself. Many people on this board respect me, I don't need to prove anything ...

Point is, I saw predictions of the Chargers second team rushing for 200+ yards against us. I don't think they barely got 200 yards of total offense ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -08-17-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Guys, further reality check. I just read that san diego had THREE starters on offense. Three. How you play is in large part a function of who you are playing against. If the rams defense dominated against a college team, would that get anyone excited? Performing well against a team with three starters on the field is certainly better than not performing well against a team with only three starters on the field, but its not a reason to believe that we are going to be solid defensively. Keep in mind that our secondary is in terrible shape right now and that fact is highly unlikely to be exploited against backups. Thank the lord that we were at least able to get some pressure on the qb with our defensive line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Again, look at the big picture. All I read all week was how San Diego was so much better than us, top to bottom. How their second team had players on par with our first team. Do you still believe they are THAT much better than us after our defense stuck it to them all game?

HornyRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    You obvious have not just the jist of ANYTHING I post on here. I don't need to explain myself. Many people on this board respect me, I don't need to prove anything ...
    WOW! Hard to believe anyone respects that kind of attitude.

stlramman is offline Registered User

I drank way too much Kool-Aid this summer! I do it every year it seems, dreaming that my Rams will have a great season. Sometimes they do but more often times of late they dont. I tend to think more with my heart than my head during the long offseason. Well unfortunately I am sobering up early and the pitcher of juice may be running low. Now I did not have huge expectations for this year ...but with the addition of Saunders, the added depth of the Offensive Line(draft picks,Bell,and the return of last years wounded) plus a healthy Bulger & Jackson, and a young improving Defense. I at least expect a team that is competitive, plays hard, and Attacks on Offense.
    How quickly things are going wrong for this team 2 weeks into the offseason is astonishing to me! SJ=Awol,Bulger(by most accounts because i havent seen the games)=deer in the headlights,Setterstrom=done for the year?! And for the most part two lackluster performances in the first two practice games of the year.
    Finally this brings me to my point of this post(sorry had to rant a little) These are pre-season games and mean nothing as far as wins and losses. These are practice games, a chance to get everyone in rhythm. I realize Avery has not played yet but what about Burton & Stanley? As i have said, i have not watched the games and base this only on what i have read and heard, but are they getting much playing time? It doesn't really seem like it, Burton has a few catches,has Stanley even been on the field on offense? IMO these guys and Avery as soon as he is able, should be on the field ALOT right NOW! Playing with the 1's & 2's not the 3's & 4's. We know what Looker & Bennett can do, but we dont know what these other guys are capable of, they bring youth,speed, hopefully passion and huge potential. Please Linehan get these guys on the field and turn them loose,and F.O. get that SJ character out there with them!

general counsel is online now Registered User

ESPN reported that they used three starters on offense. That is very reliable reporting to me, its not simply a rumour or something i heard somewhere

I personally never said we couldnt beat their second team. I dont care how deep they are, missing 8 starters on offense, there is not one single nfl team that should be productive against a first string defense.

Again, a step in the right direction defensively"? Sure. Something to get excited about? Not to me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

rammiser is offline Registered User

ESPN reported that they used three starters on offense. That is very reliable reporting to me, its not simply a rumour or something i heard somewhere

I personally never said we couldnt beat their second team. I dont care how deep they are, missing 8 starters on offense, there is not one single nfl team that should be productive against a first string defense.

Again, a step in the right direction defensively"? Sure. Something to get excited about? Not to me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    It's interesting that when the Rams are missing players on offense and defense it seems to be an excuse, but when another team is missing players it's a valid reason for poor play why is that?
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    It's interesting that when the Rams are missing players on offense and defense it seems to be an excuse, but when another team is missing players it's a valid reason for poor play why is that?
    Because the national media, and many, many Ram's fans, including some that post here, contribute to such an attitude ....

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    This is about where I'm at. I still feel that seeing as it's the preseason, we can't judge anything too lightly or harshly, so this is a nice medium based on the production we saw today. Honestly, I quite liked the way we played, defensively- as for the offense...I reserve the right not to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by HornyRam View Post
    WOW! Hard to believe anyone respects...
    I do. Most all of what he has to say is based in stout observation, and I'm calling the self-flattery an anomaly.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -08-17-2008 at 03:28 AM.

YodaRam Guest

You simply cannot allow huge returns after interceptions of Bulger's passes!
    I mean, a 53 yard return by Antoine Cason? A rookie, no less?! This Rams offense really must start playing better defense or we're in for a very long and painful season.

This game was a "wash" for me. There was nothing definitive, that i saw, that gave me a better indicator of what we have this year. I'm still in a "hope with major concern" mode. Honestly.

RAM ON!

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

How did Chris Long do guys? Apart from the tackle from behind on Tolbert, did he get any significant pressure on the QB as well as improve against the run? I just don't like hearing that he is getting controlled by backup tackles.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Great post RamsInfiniti, people were predicting high draft picks after last week's game. Now imagine me saying the rams are gonna win the superbowl based on last night's performance, that's how stupid many people were sounding last week with their 0-16 predictions.

I know it's preseason, i still won't make any prediction based on these 4 games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast