Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cap

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Cap

Looking forward, unrelated to who we draft next year, do we have the money to once again pay a top 3 pick in the draft?

After shelling out money for carriker, bartell, sj, OJ (coming up), chris long, and J smith, do we have enough money to drop on a top 3 pick, let alone #2 or #1 in the draft.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Cap

Yes.

Don't quote me but I remember reading somewhere that we're 35M under the cap. One of the best in the league right now. Letting go of Witherspoon, for example, cleared at least 5M in the cap along with other offseason transitions. Mind you, some of it was ugly, but rest assured Billy D certainly has a plan.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Alec22 is offline Registered User

yea, does anyone have a link to the rams cap? 35 mill is a great number haha

itsguud is offline Registered User

As of now, there is no cap starting next year in the NFL. That may change, but we are definitely in under the unlimited cap number.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

I believe that the reason we played so many low level reserves as starters, released some of our best players, and did not sign anyone huge is because we were in cap hell this year. That is why this year was truly transitional. The front office had the unenviable task of correcting the sins of the past. If there is a cap next year we will be in good shape. I believe that Nick would be the defacto Cap-oligist to correctly answer any cap numbers...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

There is a danger in getting too many top picks in the draft. I would have thought the Lions would be bankrupt from having to pay for all those top picks.

The Rams need to start winning--least the Rams find themselves having to pay for too many top picks. The key to success in the NFL is finding and motivating talent that is medium level as the core to your team. Depth is the second key.

That is where the Rams will flurish or fail. To gain the talent that will make them winners but be financial sound to continue winning. A page out of the Pats play book there is what the Rams need.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Somehow the Raiders can still stay under the cap with all of their top picks and all of their ridiculous free agent signings, so I think we'll manage.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan View Post
    I believe that Nick would be the defacto Cap-oligist to correctly answer any cap numbers...
    I've not been able to find an accurate number myself, but I've heard numbers in the $30 million range from a couple of other people in other places, so there might be some validity to it. That may be one reason you cut so many veterans and free up big salary players in Year One.

As for a Top 3 pick, assuming there's a cap, there will also be a rookie salary pool that will be determined for the Rams based on the number of picks they have and where those picks come in. So the Rams will be required to fit all of the rookies' first year cap costs at or below that number.

The bigger concern for the Rams, especially because of the instability in ownership, is probably the $30+ million in guaranteed money the pick would get, simply because that represents millions they'd have to pay that player, most of it likely within the first three years. I doubt they're overly concerned about how that contract is going to affect the cap, because the NFL's rules on rookie salary pool kind of curb that for teams.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I think I remember Devaney or Kevin Demoff saying during an interview that this year was kinda like paying off your credit card. For so many years we just spent, spent, spent, thinking we could pay it forward. By cutting/ trading Drew Bennett, Big O, Torry, Pisa, Will, Tye Hill, etc. we payed off our big debt. Next year we should be in good shape, with... or God forbid without, the cap.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I remember Kevin Demoff saying we will have the most cap space in the league in an interview he did on the Rams web cite.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Good call, 39. Here's what Demoff had to say...

Andrew Babcock, Warrenton, MO. 2:04 PM CT
    How much money do you expect next season after the dead money is gone? And is their any interest in bringing back Isaac Bruce back?

If there is a salary cap in 2010, the Rams will be approximately 35m under the salary, which would be the third most room under the cap in the NFL. There has been some pain this year, but the salary cap should not be the driving force behind any personnel decisions moving forward. This year, we were forced to create a dollar of salary cap room for every dollar of salary cap room spent. That meant making difficult decisions with some talented players, but we made the decisions that we thought were best for the long-term future of this organization.
    You can read the whole transcript on the Clan, posted by MauiRam!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I was right!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

If Bulger is cut, how much more would be saved? Not saying I'm for or against it, just curious.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    If Bulger is cut, how much more would be saved? Not saying I'm for or against it, just curious.
    Probably save some, but there would also be dead money on the cap like there was after we cut Pace, Pisa, and Holt

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

yeah a lot of the money paid to rookies (and it is too much) is paid in bonuses and such that don't affect the cap, so although it will suck for ownership to have to throw another heap of money at an unproven guy it won't affect the cap any more than other rookies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast