general counsel is offline Registered User

Cap deadline today- pray for big grease!

End of business today is the deadline for prorating any future money into this years cap. I still havent seen the money details on what wilkins got, but give or take, we should be about 3 million under for this year.

Here is hoping that somehow we sign pickett to a long term deal before the end of today, using some of that current cap to offset the future cost. Doesnt seem likely given that i have neither heard nor read anything about a deal, just hoping for the best.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap deadline today- pray for big grease!

I hope he is re-signed, but if he's not, I have to believe he's the likely recipient of the Rams' franchise tag.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I may be wrong but I do believe Pickett can not go any where unless we don't resign him. Isn't it five years before you can become an unrestricted free agent. At the least we will have an opportunity to match an offer.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    I may be wrong but I do believe Pickett can not go any where unless we don't resign him. Isn't it five years before you can become an unrestricted free agent. At the least we will have an opportunity to match an offer.
    By the end of the season, he will have been here 5 years. Is it by then or now for the 5 year rule?
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

RamWraith is offline Registered User

It has been five years already. Damn I am getting old. NO WAY. Where in the hell has time gone.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Three makes you a restricted free agent, four makes you unrestricted.

That said, I'm not sure Pickett gets resigned. If we're losing Martz and going a new direction in the offseason, you might not want to devote a lot of money to players until you know what kind of team you're going to be. Obviously that doesn't mean anything to a kicker, so Wilkins gets an extension.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I hear you nick, but personally, i dont see how it matters what direction we go in coach wise, hard to see how we are going to replace a run stuffing defensive tackle just entering his prime. I do understand why given the uncertainty, we are not looking to resign The Nutcracker.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I'm not sure Pickett gets resigned. If we're losing Martz and going a new direction in the offseason, you might not want to devote a lot of money to players until you know what kind of team you're going to be. Obviously that doesn't mean anything to a kicker, so Wilkins gets an extension.
    I wonder if we are going to be a team that uses a defense?

If so, I wonder if we will need a high production NT?

Regardless, we are obviously going to continue to be a team that uses a kicking game.

:up:

Maybe our new defensive coordinator prefers much larger, stronger tackles? Pickett's something like 6'2" and 310 pounds. What if the new guy, should we bring him in, wants a player more in the mold of 345-pound Grady Jackson? What if he's of the Lovie Smith mindset and wants his tackles to be thinner and faster? Pickett struggled when he had to play at a lower weight, so if we go that direction, is he still the guy we want to keep?

My point is why would the Rams devote a long term deal to Pickett right now if they don't know to what extent he's in their long term plans? It doesn't make financial sense, which is why I said I'm not sure if he gets a new deal in the middle of the season. This would be like signing all four of our receivers to big long-term deals when we're not sure if we're still going to be a spread formation passing team. You can't make these kind of financial decisions until you know what direction you're going, and if Martz really is out the door and someone else is being brought in, then we don't know the direction.

Ok, I understand your point. You said resigned. Middle of the season I would agree with in most cases.

I would not go by listed weight for a reference to much larger and stronger. These guys are all overly large and I don't think plus or minus 20 pounds of fat is gonna make a guy any stronger.

Pickett did play for Lovie, regardless of his weight. He had ankle problems which contributed to a lot of his struggles. Kennedy struggled with Lovie's weight restrictions, but he was also a rookie.

Hard to imagine the FO choosing a coach whose philosophy does not fit the bulk of the current roster. But if so, players do have the ability to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Hard to imagine the FO choosing a coach whose philosophy does not fit the bulk of the current roster.
    Since when do DTs make up the bulk of the current roster?

Two of the four DTs will be free agents after this year. I would agree with your position if the Rams already had all their DTs signed long term and thus were forced to stick with them, but with Pickett and Lewis gone, a new coach could bring in players to fit whatever defensive line he wanted.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

nick which type of dt do you prefer, the big hefty ones or the smaller, quicker lovie smith type, with the size of o-lineman these days i think the bigger guys are the way to go, but lovie does have success with the smaller guys,what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    nick which type of dt do you prefer, the big hefty ones or the smaller, quicker lovie smith type, with the size of o-lineman these days i think the bigger guys are the way to go, but lovie does have success with the smaller guys,what do you think?
    Whoever can get the job done, I guess. Pickett and Kennedy have been performing well this season, but I'm curious as to whether or not someone in the 330-340 range who's a bit stronger would help our run defense, maybe even as a guy just to rotate in situationally ala Lewis.

Since when do DTs make up the bulk of the current roster?
    Since when did I say DTs make up the bulk of the roster?

You went on about receivers and I have read other posts that you have written about the possible coaching change as it relates to personnel.

Rut and gut the whole damn thing then. Not like any fan will have a say in the matter.

I'm sorry, but I am not abreast of every FA the Rams have. Certainly it would seem that they would resign some of them based on production and try to find a coach that could work with what they do have or are able to resign. Then again, maybe not. Just seems logical to me, but what the hell do I know. Not like it is all speculation anyways and one guess is better than another, unless of course it is your guess.

Since when did I say DTs make up the bulk of the roster?
    All we've been talking about in this thread is DT. The only other position I brought up was WR, and it was just as an example of the logic I was putting forth. So when you talk about the bulk of the roster in a discussion that's been based around one position, it sounds as if you're associating the two. If I was mistaken, my apoligies.

Not like it is all speculation anyways and one guess is better than another, unless of course it is your guess.
    That's rather uncalled for, Ferter. Just because we disagree about this issue doesn't mean you have to take a shot at me in the process.