Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cap Management Could Push Rams to Top of NFC West

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Cap Management Could Push Rams to Top of NFC West

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Only ONE problem...the Rams got two high draft picks this coming offseason...how much does that put the Rams in terms of their Salary cap?

All and all I agree with the analysis--the Seagulls gone way out of their way to acquire talent and done well in getting it. Golden Tate, well I think they can do without him and perhaps pickup a replacement somewhere. Browner, I believe they will put some serious effort to keeping him as member of the "Legion of Boom" ((PUKE)). If nothing else in the NFC-West, its likely defense-defense-defense that rules.

49Whinners with Bolden who knows but I suspect they would try to keep their 2014 FA defense. Its the 2015 FA that looks painful. I don't know how they might work that situation, though Captain Kemp. might help them indirectly--his level of play has fallen off this season and one would hope it ultimately tanks.

Still, we all have seen great paper teams put together. Its not so much who you have on your team that makes the final difference, its how you put the pieces together that matters in the end. Glaringly the Rams do have the weapons to win--just those pieces are not being put to the best use; thus the 4-6 record. The scary thing is the Rams might have to trade one of their top picks not so much for getting value but because they can't afford it in the long run
    Rookies drafted in the first round are now very cheap after the CBA. Compared to signing FAs that are playing well and established it's not even close.

Percy Harvin $67 million over six years with $14.5 million fully guaranteed. Another $11 million is guaranteed only for injury. While the deal will still make Harvin among the highest-paid wide receivers in the NFL
    VS

Tavon Austion deal, five years $12.751 million contract that includes a $7.653 million signing bonus under the NFL slotting system for rookie deals.
    Having two first round picks over two years is a big advantage for the Rams, especially if they start day one and are productive.

Updating a previous report, St. Louis Rams LB Alec Ogletree signed a four-year deal worth $7.03 million. The deal includes a $3.492 million signing bonus.
    Building through the draft is the way to go.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-19-2013 at 09:49 AM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I don't usually bump threads, but in light of the recent discussions about the Rams needing to "catch up" to the rest of the NFC West, I thought the list in the original post might be helpful.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Safe to say, Seattles cap management will be interesting since the players will be expecting Super Bowl champion like money when it comes time to reconstruct their contracts. especially Sherman Wilson and Thomas. I don't think they will keep all 3.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It is amusing to listen to the talking heads say things like "This team should be great for a long time" because it rarely works out that way. Yet I take issue with the assumption that a team will be bad in a couple of years due to guys "having to be paid". A good organization finds ways to remain successful despite the inevitable cap issues that eventually must be dealt with. Just as annual good drafts and quality coaching can sustain a team's excellence, shrewd financial structure for a team's roster can prevent a team being decimated. Thinking SF will be terrible because 'they'll have to pay Kaepernick" or thinking the Seahawks won't be good because "they'll have three free agents they have to pay" is the worst kind of cheat.

And one also can't assume that because a guy is very good NOW he'll still be in two years. The NFL changes from year to year. And we could list hundreds of guys who went from "excellent player" to "washed up" in a couple of seasons.

One of the advantages both the whiners and Hawks had the last few years. Is the hands on info from having been a recent college coach, when it comes to finding talent late in the draft. Having a insight to players that they recruited had to help.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-07-2014 at 11:35 AM.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It is amusing to listen to the talking heads say things like "This team should be great for a long time" because it rarely works out that way. Yet I take issue with the assumption that a team will be bad in a couple of years due to guys "having to be paid". A good organization finds ways to remain successful despite the inevitable cap issues that eventually must be dealt with. Just as annual good drafts and quality coaching can sustain a team's excellence, shrewd financial structure for a team's roster can prevent a team being decimated. Thinking SF will be terrible because 'they'll have to pay Kaepernick" or thinking the Seahawks won't be good because "they'll have three free agents they have to pay" is the worst kind of cheat.

And one also can't assume that because a guy is very good NOW he'll still be in two years. The NFL changes from year to year. And we could list hundreds of guys who went from "excellent player" to "washed up" in a couple of seasons.
    I don't think anyone believes that the Seahawks will be bad in a couple of years due to having to pay but they may lose their edge. Take this past season for example. If Wilson was paid the going rate for a starting QB ~$15 million per year that would have put the Seahawks about $10 million over the cap (Source: Overthecap.com) and hence definitely would not have allowed them to sign either Cliff Avril or Michael Bennett last offseason, who had a 2013 cap hit of approximately $8.5million. These two players had a huge impact on the Superbowl and would be sorely missed if neither played again for the Hawks. Now add the amount they are going to have to pay Thomas, Sherman and Wright (~$30-35 million per year) and it's obvious that they won't be able to hoard the same level of talent as they have this year. I've already read stories today about the Seahawks perhaps having to cut Red Bryant and/or Zach Miller to have any shot at re-signing some of their free agents.

Av, looking at your Seahawk free agent list a few key names can also be added:
    2014: Walter Thurmond, Doug Baldwin (restricted FA), Paul McQuistan
    2015: Byron Maxwell, James Carpenter

It seems the whole 'Legion of Boom' bar Kam Chancellor will ask for large contracts in the next 13 months. Those cheap rookie contracts will catch up to them eventually.
    Rambos likes this.

KoaKoi is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't usually bump threads, but in light of the recent discussions about the Rams needing to "catch up" to the rest of the NFC West, I thought the list in the original post might be helpful.

LOL yeah i was going through this thinking "wow, deja vu. we already talked about this months ago"

Please wont draft weekend come soon...

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I really hope you're right AV. QB alone is going to be a significant impact on SF and SEA.

I think equally significant is the HUGE fact that the Rams are still only two years away from the planets lining up, (and not in a good way). I realize there's nothing new here, but bear with me.

The Rams had arguably the worst, most indifferent management in the league; went through 5 coaches in 5 years, (Martz, Haslett, Vitt , Linehan and Spags), and managed to pick 1st or 2nd in the last three years of the most incredible, (and ridiculous) escalation of rookie contracts in the history of the NFL, and compounding that was that they end up drafting probably the three highest paid positions in football, with one hit, one miss and one we'll see.

In the meantime, SF sucked for a decade, and drafted well, (except at QB), and both they and SEA end up paying nothing for two of (arguably) the best QBs in the league. Good for them - I'm jealous.

Point is, and why I feel we CAN catch up, is those two are 3 and 4 years in, with stable management and good coaching, and we are only 2 years in with a roster that's 80% NEW.

And our 1st year with a new coach was w/o a DC, and last year's was a rookie, and now we get the guy we really wanted, and Fisher, I feel, has instilled and installed the attitude this team was lacking. More discipline and continuing growth of veteran leadership will tell eventually, and that's the key.

Personally, I think these monster FA contracts are a thing of the past, and that once the majority of the players have been in the same system for 4-5 years, (assuming Snead and Fisher stay), the Rams will be there every year for the next decade.

And, it's trite, but to be the best you have to beat the best, and playing these two teams 4 times a year can be (sort of) a blessing in disguise. And we are not light years away now.I 'd say 1-2 years. SB has one more year, and if he doesn't end up being the franchise QB I think he will, at least the new QB won't cost us $70M dollars.

"Stay the course". (How's that for some 65 year old wisdomatic horse****!)
    Last edited by VegasRam; -02-04-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I still think that the Rams are a strong offseason and a healthy season (with maybe a pinch or two of luck) from being a contender.

Sure, the 2014 Seahawks and Niners look strong, but its not hard to imagine a scenario in which they might fall in the way the 2013 Ravens and Falcons did. A couple of injuries to key players can make a huge difference. A few bounces can swing a team's record by a couple of games.

From a talent standpoint, the 2014 Rams should be in better shape than they have been in a decade. The ingredients will be there - they just have to come together.
    live4ramin likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Exactly. A little luck and Rams are there next year.

2015? - it's a lock.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Larry Fitzgerald Restructuring Deal:

By Nathan Kearns

Despite being only two days removed from the Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl victory, the Arizona Cardinals took over the headlines yesterday. In a Tom Brady-esque move, Larry Fitzgerald stopped the presses with his announcement that he would be “restructuring” some of this massive 7-year/$113 million contract.

As most would anticipate, the news had Rams Nation in an uproar, demanding that someone on the St. Louis Rams roster “bite the bullet.” That outcry only grew louder when it was made known that the restructuring, in essence, would save the Cardinals nearly $10 million in cap space this offseason. Impressive…

…or is it?

The misconception about this Tom Brady and Larry Fitzgerald-style restructuring is that the players are taking a “pay cut.” In reality, the teams are essentially just moving the money around, typically shifting “base salary” to a “signing bonus,” which (for lack of a better term) spreads that cap hit over the remainder of that player’s deal.

To put that into laymen’s terms, the Arizona Cardinals are “kicking” the proverbial “can down the road.” For example, while Larry Fitzgerald will count only $8.6 million against their cap this season, he will now count an astounding $23.6 million against the cap next season. The bad news for Arizona is that both Carson Palmer and Patrick Peterson will be due for new contracts in 2015, which could put a quick end to the current celebration in Arizona.

For the St. Louis Rams, the idea of this type of restructuring doesn’t necessarily make sense. For players like Cortland Finnegan and Harvey Dahl, simply cutting them from the roster would be more beneficial than re-shuffling their money around.

Sam Bradford might be another “top target” for that restructuring. However, as it currently sits, the Rams would be in position to save nearly $10.5 million in cap space if, for some reason, they parted ways with Bradford at the end of the 2014 season. Restructuring his 2014 contract would inevitably increase his 2015 “dead money” figure. To put it simply, restructuring Bradford would 1) make it significantly more difficult to part ways with the quarterback in 2015 and 2) cost the St. Louis Rams “leverage” in any future contract extension negotiations (i.e. a lessened threat of the team cutting or going “in another direction”). In essence, by paying his current contract, the St. Louis Rams maintain their flexibility and options with Bradford headed into the future.

Chris Long and James Laurinaitis are the other two possibilities, but both players reach their “peak” salary cap hit this season, with built-in dropoffs headed into the 2015 season and into the future. If the Rams can weather the storm this year, the trio of Laurinaitis, Long, and Bradford (who will account for a nearly $37.2 million cap hit in 2014) will naturally fizzle down to a mere $24.6 million hit in 2015.

Most important of all, Les Snead and Kevin Demoff have a long history of intelligently maneuvering within the confines of the salary cap. There have been little-to-no “backloaded” contracts or restructured deals that didn’t involve some “voluntary” pay cut. The St. Louis Rams would be smart to milk their extremely young roster filled with lesser, “new CPA”-friendly contracts and simply ride out the handful of cap-heavy 2014 contracts. This will continue to be any extremely important topic, as their decisions this offseason will likely set the stage for whether or not they can feasibly sustain a player like Robert Quinn at the end of his contract!
    live4ramin and Mikey like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Chris Long and James Laurinaitis are the other two possibilities, but both players reach their “peak” salary cap hit this season, with built-in dropoffs headed into the 2015 season and into the future. If the Rams can weather the storm this year, the trio of Laurinaitis, Long, and Bradford (who will account for a nearly $37.2 million cap hit in 2014) will naturally fizzle down to a mere $24.6 million hit in 2015.

Most important of all, Les Snead and Kevin Demoff have a long history of intelligently maneuvering within the confines of the salary cap. There have been little-to-no “backloaded” contracts or restructured deals that didn’t involve some “voluntary” pay cut. The St. Louis Rams would be smart to milk their extremely young roster filled with lesser, “new CPA”-friendly contracts and simply ride out the handful of cap-heavy 2014 contracts. This will continue to be any extremely important topic, as their decisions this offseason will likely set the stage for whether or not they can feasibly sustain a player like Robert Quinn at the end of his contract!
    Hmmmm so it might be better in the long run for the Rams to just let these contract's ride.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Hmmmm so it might be better in the long run for the Rams to just let these contract's ride.
    Exactly. Plus Kevin Demoff is a genius. I say there is nothing wrong with us not addressing cap issues and let him take care of it. I trust him to do the best job possible with the Cap.

kman is offline Registered User

theres a reason you never see teams repeat anymore...with free agency you just keep a team together the niners and hawks are lucky they are only paying high caliber qb's about 500k..they will both ask AND get 10+ million a year when contracts are up..

Michael Bennett - DL - Seahawks

Free agent DL Michael Bennett admits he wants to be "compensated with the top guys."
    Bennett has been adamant that he wants to stay in Seattle, but he's also looking for a raise on the $4.8 million he made in 2013. "Basically I took a one-year deal the year before, did a first-round tender in Tampa, so I definitely just want to be paid, you know," Bennett said. "I’m not trying to be the highest paid guy, but I want to be compensated with the top guys." Bennett is angling for the multi-year pact he missed out on last year. That could make it tough to re-up with the Seahawks, who have a number of long-term commitments (Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Russell Wilson, Russell Okung) they need to make in the near future.

Source: Seattle Times

This is what happens after you have a ring you want to get paid and he will be one of many that feel the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast