Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Cap number--6.2 million

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Folks, we'd all do ourselves a favor by steeling to the fact (and yes, I think at this point it's a fact), the Rams will not be making a splash in the FA market. Maybe an also-ran to fill a spot or two, but that's it.
    Honestly, who was the last BIG IMPACT FA we were able to get for a decent price besides Witherspoon? (If I remember right, Spoon was a FA).

Look at our big impact players over the last decade. Faulk - trade. Bruce, Holt, Pisa, Atogwe - Draft. Bulger - I can't remember how exactly we ended up with him, but I believe it was a waiver. I'd rather cut the dead weight, either through trades or letting them go, and sign the ones we need to keep. Let someone who knows how to evaluate prospects make the drafting decisions. Restructure Bruce, and if necessecary, restructure Bulger.

Saunders has the talent and ability to use our current offensive weapons to make us respectable. Haslett has earned the respect of our defensive players, and has basically done the impossible: He found a way to polish a turd. Mind you, that turd could stand more polish, but with an effective draft (both offensively and defensively) we have NO excuse to be a sub .500 team, injuries excluded.

bigredman is offline Registered User
    Just another example that our front office needs serious revamping. Our current executives have become stale and out of touch with the change within the NFL.

P.S. Also the front office's continued faith in giving Linehan final word on personnel decisions doesn't provide me with any sense of hope for the coming year (in addition to our salary cap woes).
    Last edited by Nick; -02-23-2008 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Merging back to back posts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Finding lower priced players capable of filling specialized roles on this squad will be the goal this spring, IMO.
    Sounds like a good idea to me, especially if we can pick up a few solid second tier guys like Chris Draft.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Since 'Ask The DraftNick' isn't yet open...(hint, hint), I do have a question for you, Nick.
    We have quite a few underachievers on our roster. I'm not talking about the injured players, I'm talking about the players like Byrd who have potential but can't get it together. A good portion of these underachievers are still in their rookie contracts. What will happen to the cap if Saunders decides these players need to be let go and management agrees? Will cutting these players help or hurt our cap over the next couple of years, especially this season?
    Byrd is in the final year of his contract and is scheduled to make a salary of $445K with a cap figure around $600K. Cutting him would clear his salary but we'd still be left with a minimal bonus hit to absorb. So instead of $600K, he'd count like $155K. Reasonable for nearly a half million in savings.

Wroten is a little more complicated, because he was signed to a four year deal. His '08 salary is also $445K and his '08 cap figure looks to be about $650K. Cutting him clears his $445K salary off the board but you absorb this year's prorated bonus as well as next year's bonus. So you're taking a $650K cap charge and reducing it to about $400K, approximately. That's a clearing of a quarter of a million dollars, probably doesn't mean much in the scheme of things but cutting Wroten sends more of a message to the locker room than to the cap standings.

The real guys we need to focus on if we actually want some cap relief are Orlando Pace, Marc Bulger, Leonard Little (sounds like he could get cut if he's not healthy), and La'Roi Glover. Maybe even Corey Chavous and Torry Holt. Those guys have the biggest cap figures on the team, and could help us out by turning some of their salaries into bonus money which would then be spread out over the length of the deal rather than affect us all this year.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The real guys we need to focus on if we actually want some cap relief are Orlando Pace, Marc Bulger, Leonard Little (sounds like he could get cut if he's not healthy), and La'Roi Glover. Maybe even Corey Chavous and Torry Holt. Those guys have the biggest cap figures on the team, and could help us out by turning some of their salaries into bonus money which would then be spread out over the length of the deal rather than affect us all this year.
    It really seems like thats legitimate. I mean...some players, don't get me wrong, are greedy. They might say "do that and I'll be looking for a new place to play"

But reading an interview with Holt and Faulk, it seems as if Holt isn't going to hold out on his contract or go out of his way to get his money. He's respecting his contract length and price. If anyone, I think Holt might agree to reconstruct his salary slightly.

I honestly thought that when they signed Marc Bulger to that deal...they were high. With all the injuries he's sustained over the years...I don't know if he could be that top form he was in 2006.

Orlando Pace, if we won't reduce his salary, he's greedy. He's played a little number of games in the past 2 seasons. Not enough to be a star on this team.

If Leonard gets cut...we might land Long in the draft anyways...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    It really seems like thats legitimate. I mean...some players, don't get me wrong, are greedy. They might say "do that and I'll be looking for a new place to play"

But reading an interview with Holt and Faulk, it seems as if Holt isn't going to hold out on his contract or go out of his way to get his money. He's respecting his contract length and price. If anyone, I think Holt might agree to reconstruct his salary slightly.

I honestly thought that when they signed Marc Bulger to that deal...they were high. With all the injuries he's sustained over the years...I don't know if he could be that top form he was in 2006.

Orlando Pace, if we won't reduce his salary, he's greedy. He's played a little number of games in the past 2 seasons. Not enough to be a star on this team.

If Leonard gets cut...we might land Long in the draft anyways...
    Why should Holt restructure. He has been a great WR and continues to be. Its not like restructuring will allow the team to get that one player they need to get to a superbowl because the rams need a couple. Bulgers numbers were high, but most of Bulger's injuries this year were do to a patch work bad o-line. He can get his 06 numbers with a QB's 2 best an OL and a running game. How hard is it to recover from dislocated toes we better have a good back-up plan if we cut him and that doesn't mean Chris Long because we aren't guaranteed him. Little is the player who needs to be restructured the most though. I don't there greedy because they're big player who want to get payed. Its not always about the team especially when your not winning now that they have theirs they want to keep it and rightfully so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-21-2008, 10:17 PM