Thread: Cap Questions

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Cap Questions

I end up asking a bunch of questions about the cap every year, but this year it's different. We need space - and a lot of it.

1. I've heard $8 million, $14 million, and everything in between. Since I can't seem to find any official amount, exactly where are we?

2. What is the date we MUST be at or below the cap?

3. It may sound stupid, but... What will happen if we aren't under the cap?

4. If I remember correctly, it's only the top 52 who count against the cap. How many of those are likely to be gone before camp, and about how much space will that give us?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Cap Questions

Rams are under the cap. Technically we are 14 mil under, but when you take in account signing our draft picks we are only 8 mil under. Now that OJ is franchised we are about 1.8 mil under.

keith m. klink Guest

Right now it really does not matter , today it could be 2million , and after the comb over of players we could have another 10-15 million tomorrow . DON'T be too worried about this today , just watch because big time decisions are being made right now , I think this whole team is going to be sifted through and we will be surprised when its done . Ram fans "i think " will be running blind trying figure what has just happened , and it will be LOVELY .!!!!!

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Ok, since were on questions about the Cap, can somebody help me understand what this means??..I got it from NFL.COM..

This offseason, franchise tags were handed out to unrestricted free agents Darren Sproles, Brandon Jacobs, Matt Cassel, Dunta Robinson, O.J. Atogwe, Leroy Hill, and Michael Koenen.
    Each of these players completed their fourth year last season. But the collective bargaining agreement that eliminates the salary cap in 2010, also says that players do not get to become unrestricted free agents until their sixth season.

What exactly is an "uncapped" year??..

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    Ok, since were on questions about the Cap, can somebody help me understand what this means??..I got it from NFL.COM..

This offseason, franchise tags were handed out to unrestricted free agents Darren Sproles, Brandon Jacobs, Matt Cassel, Dunta Robinson, O.J. Atogwe, Leroy Hill, and Michael Koenen.
    Each of these players completed their fourth year last season. But the collective bargaining agreement that eliminates the salary cap in 2010, also says that players do not get to become unrestricted free agents until their sixth season.

What exactly is an "uncapped" year??..

To the best of my knowledge, unless a new collective bargaining agreement is established, the salary cap will no longer be in effect. The NFL would operate like MLB without limits on spending. It seems from the above quote that this happens in 2010.

OK, I started this thread so I could explain the cap to my daughter so she could really understand what I was talking about. Probem is, now I'm confused!

Maybe we can get a salary cap guru to give us a nice, simple explanation an eight year old can understand.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I end up asking a bunch of questions about the cap every year, but this year it's different. We need space - and a lot of it.

1. I've heard $8 million, $14 million, and everything in between. Since I can't seem to find any official amount, exactly where are we?

2. What is the date we MUST be at or below the cap?

3. It may sound stupid, but... What will happen if we aren't under the cap?

4. If I remember correctly, it's only the top 52 who count against the cap. How many of those are likely to be gone before camp, and about how much space will that give us?
    1. I've read nearly everywhere that its $14 million

2&3. I'm not entirely sure, but i'd guess it's the start of the new football year. If a team is still over the limit the NFL will call and give them x amount of time to get back under the cap. If a team still can't do, then i believe the league makes your highest priced players free agents to get you back under the cap.

For other violation of the cap rules a team can lose draft picks and get fined upwards of $1 million a day.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Here's my best pitch for your 8 year old, Sam.

The salary cap is a limit on how much a team can spend on players in a single season.

An uncapped year is simply a year without the salary cap where teams are free to spend as much money as they like on whoever they like without being restricted.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement established, among other things, that there would be a salary cap in place in the NFL through 2010. That agreement expires after next season and unless a new one is reached there will be no cap. There is no cap in Baseball and the teams with the most money, like the Yankees, have a history of dominance. This doesn't exactly bode well for our little franchise, when players can make bucket loads more money by signing elsewhere.

This year, we were $14 Million under. Then you remove the Six Million that it will approximately cost to sign your rookies for the 2009 season. They can still sign multi-year deals, but the salary cap measures their salary for this season and adds it to the salary of the other 52 players. That's why you can have a player like Jake Long sign a $60 million deal, but only count, say, three to four million against the cap for that season.

It cost us, I believe, $6.2 Million to put the Franchise Tag on Atogwe, making him one of the highest paid players at his position for the next season. The Franchise Tag is a one year tender meaning that the entire 6.2 million will count against the salary cap.

We did release Corey Chavous, and this means we don't have to pay his salary any longer, giving us about 1.5 Million, from memory (feel free to correct this, anybody), more to spend. This means that we have, in total, 14 + 1.5 - 6.2 - 6 = 3.3 million left to spend on other players.

Hope that's helpful. (and correct).

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Yeah that helped, thanx..Your right this isnt going to be good for the smaller franchises and honestly cant see how this is going to be allowed, i mean it'll be almost a lopsided league and we might as well name the cowboys the official Yankees of football..(hate em)

***ON A SiDE NOTE: it strikes me as hard to believe that with the tough times in the economy, there is this change in football, which of course is still going on in baseball, that'll allow franchises to throw millions into players' laps for a few years...maybe Obama will join the Bears' booster club???...

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    OK, I started this thread so I could explain the cap to my daughter so she could really understand what I was talking about. Probem is, now I'm confused!

Maybe we can get a salary cap guru to give us a nice, simple explanation an eight year old can understand.
    Hmmm... Would it be better if the cap guru explained it to your daughter and then let her try to explain it to you?

<kidding>
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Hmmm... Would it be better if the cap guru explained it to your daughter and then let her try to explain it to you?

<kidding>
    Seriously, Beelzebubbles might already understand it a lot better than I do!

Truth is offline Registered User

OK, since we're asking questions (and I'm no stranger to the drool bucket). Isn't there a "rebate", for lack of a better term for money that's from incentives to players that would be added back into our cap space? Also, If we have an uncapped year, and some team decides to pickup a player or two and doubles what the new cap is (when it comes into effect) what will that do to them? Will they have to shed slary? will the players be grandfathered in without penalty?
    Last edited by Truth; -02-24-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!