Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Cap situation vs defensive help

Here's what the cap sort of looks like right now. Remember, we have some other issues also on the horizon with the cap, but here's where it sits currently for 2006.

Bruce = $6.5 million
    Faulk = $1.9 million
    Pace = $3.75 million
    Little = $3.8 million
    Holt = $3.8 million
    Bulger = $5.123 million
    Timmerman = $1.5 million
    Manu = $1.3 million

We do have:
    Clairborne = $2.8 million
    Coakley = $1.5 million, but Coakley may have played his last game.

Plus Turley dead money = $5.47 million

Now, Pickett, DLew and Arch's contract's all expire after this year but their dollar figure wasn't as significant as these players.

And we wonder why we stink on defense.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -12-13-2005 at 10:07 AM.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Re: Cap situation vs defensive help

How long are we stuck with Turleys money?

2006 is the last year for Turley's dead money. Warner's dead money was used up this year.

rampete is offline Registered User

aren't we under the current cap by about $3.5 mil...and when bruce restructures to retire here or is released that should help too...bulger looks like a prime candidate for restructuring too...

We do Pete, but that's not the point. The point I was trying to make was that looking at where the majority of the Rams money is going, we have been unbalanced for quite awhile. Of course our defense is going to stink when the only player you are paying on that side of the ball is Little.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    We do Pete, but that's not the point. The point I was trying to make was that looking at where the majority of the Rams money is going, we have been unbalanced for quite awhile. Of course our defense is going to stink when the only player you are paying on that side of the ball is Little.
    I see where you're going, and it's so true.

That might be why I have been so disgustingly successful in the EASports Front Office Football game. I tend to pick a team that is having real troubles in real life and help them rise up from the ashes. One of the things I have noticed was that same lack of financial balance. I have also taken over teams that were WAY over the cap and helped get them back in the black. The team I just got done with was the Cleveland Browns, where, this morning, I was FINALLY able to help them to an 11-5 record, second place in the AFC, and a first round bye. Not too shabby, eh? Only took until virtual year 2007 or 2008. can't remember right off.

Anyways, I think you're dead on here.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Ya. Its Martz's fault. Except when all are healthy we have one best offenses in the game.
    RamsFan16

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

It does look like we should be alright assuming that Bruce restructures. I see no excuse for the RAMS not to be able to pursue some choice FA defensive help.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Cap situation vs defensive help

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    It does look like we should be alright assuming that Bruce restructures. I see no excuse for the RAMS not to be able to pursue some choice FA defensive help.:clanram:

I agree we need to focus on QUALITY defensive help ones that that are have the talent and not past their prime ... their are going to be a # of players out their to pick up on that side of the ball , The new boss may bring some with him ??? who knows but one thing that I do know is we can't keep throwing rookies out their and expect them to play at the level thats needs to be played in the NFL ... I think we can be selective on the draft picks on both sides of ball in the next few yrs ...
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -12-14-2005 at 05:44 PM.

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

also note that it's rumored that the cap will jump all the way to $95mil next season. as of right now it's just a rumor, but hopefully it'll happen.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    also note that it's rumored that the cap will jump all the way to $95mil next season. as of right now it's just a rumor, but hopefully it'll happen.
    But since the jump is the same for every team, this will probably simply be a proportional inflation for all new FA contracts.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AJD45 is offline Registered User

The guys you listed come in at under $30 million total. That's not crazy to pay for your top players/stars combined. If your point is we overspend on offense and too little on defense, see the Colts. I don't know where you got your current data, I could only find 2004 salary data at usatoday.com:

P. Manning: $8.3 million
    E. James: $6.7
    M. Harrison: $8.0
    T. Glenn: $3.0
    M. Pollard: $3.1

= $29 million for their starting QB, RB, WR, OT, TE (when the salary cap was even smaller in 2004).

And now they are undefeated. Somehow they managed to find a way to get a decent defense even with paying top dollar for their offensive stars.

I think the Rams have been one of the best teams at managing their cap. At the beginning of this season they were third in cap space available. The real problem is they have missed too much on their talent evaluation. The money is there, they just aren't getting the right guys to give it to.
    Last edited by AJD45; -12-15-2005 at 03:00 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I thought we had gained some help on the defense last year with the 2 linebacker signings. Obviously it wasn't enough. Rams need to go out on a limb and improve our "d".

A middle of the road defense will put us back in the hunt.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    But since the jump is the same for every team, this will probably simply be a proportional inflation for all new FA contracts.
    Why do you say that? Please elaborate, because I do not fully understand what you are getting at. I don't think salaries are entirely related to the cap. They are generally related to the players position and the players perceived status at said position.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Why do you say that? Please elaborate, because I do not fully understand what you are getting at. I don't think salaries are entirely related to the cap. They are generally related to the players position and the players perceived status at said position.

Whatever the cap amount goes up to, say $95 Million. That doesn't necessarily provide a lot of room for any particular team, because every team has the same room, and therefore can inflate their offers to lure FAs to their team. Here's an illustration. Let's say that we need to sign a big-time LB, but we only have $3 M per year to do it. However, this LB will have market value of $5 M. Now with the new cap, we have instead of $3 M to spend on him, we have $6 M. Theoretically, we should be able to get him with $1 M left over, but since everybody has that same new found cap money, his market value goes up to, say $6.5 M. So now, due to inflation of the market, we still don't get the guy since everybody has that same extra cap money to play with.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast